40 fowlr stocking!

silva218

So this is my second tank. My other tank is a 29 biocube reef that I have had running for over a year!

I am now in the process of setting up a new 40 gallon fowlr. I'm thinking of making it semi - aggresive. Somewhere inbetween. Heres the specs...

40 gallon breeder
homemade stand
20 gallon sump/refugium
marineland doublebright LED lighting
cpr backpack skimmer (too much microbubbles for the biocube)
MAG 3 return
2 koralia 3's (too much flow???)

Here is what I plan on stocking it with...
Yellow tang
Snowflake eel
Dwarf Lion
Mandarin in the far future
and thats all that I know of right now. Any suggestions?

And yes I know that the tang is supposed to be in atleast a 75 according to some of you. But I will buy it small and I have read about much success in a 40 gallon. Also the Snowflake eel with find a new home when it gets too big.

Feel free to comment. Suggest. And even inform me of possible mistakes within this list...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
With that selection of fish espcially the lion and moray, you are going to have a heavy bioload and you might want to look into a better skimmer and filter socks.

silva218

Yes I will have filter socks in place. And Will be buying a better skimmer in the future. Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?

JandR

Yellow Tangs get BIG alot bigger then you see them in the store. They also need lots of running or darting room back and forth, I would say if this tank was a starter to in the near future become a bigger like 75g or so then its ok in there but a tang need alot more room then a 40. Also what do you have in ur 29g fish wise? Could your mandarin not go in there since it has ben set up a while? Not saying he will but the eel and the lion fish could possible eat your mandarin depending on the size they are. Best rule of thumb is if it will fit in its mouth it will eat it. M boyfriend has a snowflake eel and he is awesome!!!! But he does sometime nip at the triggers when they go to sleep but we keep him very fed like every day to every other day feeding just so we can avoid any mishaps in that area. Good Luck!!!

silva218

yes I do know that a yellow tang will get big.... I was thinking of getting him and giving him to a good friend of mine who helped me start my first tank.

My other tank actually does have a heavy bioload so a mandarin would probably not be an option. But In my 40 gallon it should be fine. I would be relying on the mandarins slime coat to keep the lionfish and eel away.

silva218

by the way. I bought the snowflake eel today. He is eating like a pig, and has been for over 2 weeks at my lfs. pictures to come....

silva218

10050018551.jpg

silva218

10050016311.jpg

Snowflake still in bag :) He is now sitting in his cave gracefully!

08180014521.jpg

And a picture of one of my 3 acans in my 29 biocube. Pink yuma in background as you can see. Picture is about 2 months old but i just figured out how to send and upload pictures from my phone

YES these are phone pics.

silva218

He is awsome! IMO snowflakes are a great eel to start with. I knew before I bought him that he would be hardy, then when I got to my LFS I was told about their story with these eels.

My LFS switched locations a few years back and during the move they left a 200 gallon rubbermade behind with some sand. It turned out that when they went to dump the sand out 2 weeks later; 4 snowflake eels poured out very much alive. They said that the eels had vanished about a month or two prior too the move out. Those things must have made their way thru the overflow one by one.

I can't wait to get him a friend. Probably going to be a dwarf lionfish.