4 weeks of cycling- Are these acceptable parameters?

mudhutbob

After working to keep my nitrates down they seem to be steady at 40ppm. After a 50% water change they will gradually creep up during the week. Red Sea Max 130D with 40lbs of live rock, live sand and no skimmer currently running. I do have a CPR running with NP Active pearls. I need to test for Mag and will do so this weekend after I purchase a kit. In the meantime..... are these numbers acceptable?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.023 (refractometer)
Phosphate .1 (Hanna checker)
Alkalinity 258
Calcium 480

The remaining were done with an API reef kit if that helps. Many thanks.....

ReefLady

Staff member
Looks like you're cycled! Especially since you get an increase in nitrates without any spike on ammonia or nitrite.

It does seem like something is either decomposing or creating bio-load in your tank. The rising nitrates and the Phosphate tell me there's some sort of nutrient source.

What do you think is the source of the nutrients? Did you cycle with shrimp? Any left in there perhaps, or did you already stock with fish/inverts?

Finally, the live rock could be the source. Was it cured or uncured live rock? Was it stinky when you got it?

Congrats, you're about ready to go!

Keep an eye out for the diatom bloom... that's next LOL.

mudhutbob

Funny you mention the bio-load Travis. A co-worker suggested I add some flake food occasionally to speed up the cycling process. That must be the nutrient source but I assumed the nitrofying(?) bacteria would eventually eat up the nitrates.

The cured live rock sat in another container with a heater and pump for a few weeks so the dead stuff would shed. I am surprised that I have very little algae with the high phosphate level but maybe thats coming?

If my numbers are within range..... should I start my skimmer and begin adding Nemo or wait until the diatom bomb.... er bloom? Many thanks....

ReefLady

Staff member
I would definitely start the skimmer and continue doing water changes. See if the skimmer pulls those nutrients.

Do you have a first fish in mind? I would think you would be good to go with something hardy. My favorite 1st fish is a royal gramma. :)

mudhutbob

Since this is my daughters tank (7 years old) I/she wants a clownfish for sure. I looked at the Royal Gramma and it is now also on our list. Very cool. I like the Carpenters Wrasse and the Blue/Green Chromis too. I wanted a Snowflake eel since I will be taking care of the tank but I read they may eat others so I may be stuck with Nemo.

I will start the skimmer and continue water changes for now. Would it be safe to start adding fish in a week? How about corals or does the system need to settle for a few months before they are introduced? Wow... this is a lot more work than the freshwater but is very fulfilling given the many options afforded us. Many thanks....

ReefLady

Staff member
Wow, you're a patient one! Kudos for that.

What type of clownfish? Will you be going false perc/ocellaris for the real McCoy nemo?

I've always found those guys to be on the sensitive side. Maybe it's just me... but I've had a tough time keeping them alive for long. But I had a Tomato clown that was pretty bulletproof.

Anyway, I would say fire up the skimmer and see what you can pull from there to get those nitrates under control. I think you're good to add a fish but I personally would be hesitant to add that clownfish first (because of my experiences with them), the chromis would be the hardiest choice out of your list.

As for corals... I'd really try to get that PO4 reading down to zero and the nitrates more controlled, but if you're getting antsy, some mushrooms or other hardy corals should do just fine as long as you keep up the water changes so the nitrates don't get too high.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I would get your nitrates down. 40 is considerably high. Your skimmer should help with that big time. I actually started with two true percula clowns and they're still with me doing well. I only wanted to mention that while everyone lists green chromis as excellent beginner fish due to their hardiness, they can beat up on each other pretty badly. One should be fine. I have one after trying to start a school of 5. The survivor's name is Highlander. There can be only one.

Mike Johnson

I have three Blue-Green Chromis and have never seen any aggression at all. Sometimes my Powder Blue will fall in formation with them.

theplantman

All great advice, skimming will help with the nitrates as well as the water changes. The only other ways to remove them are with a planted refugium, an algae scrubber, or you can get bacteria that will do that if you are using the deep sand bed method.

Once you get them down, you should consider a cleanup crew. Snails and hermits (if you like crabs) They will control the algae and consume detritus when you start feeding the tank and its new inhabitants.

Good Luck

mudhutbob

Thanks all for the input. Last week I spent 9 hours trying to setup/program my Apex Lite after having trouble setting up the network, email alert and external computer interface. After a few posts and responses it was an easy fix and I'm up and running. The trial and error, however, was exhausting.

I was thinking an Ocellaris clown would be a nice start but not if it isn't a good starter fish. I think we will go with the Royal Gramma. It looks awesome. I have fired up the skimmer and added my second scoop of NP Pearls so we'll see how the Nitrate level stays after another water change. Each morning we wake up it is fun to watch the family seek out new critters that weren't there the previous day. Even the wife is excited and asking about corals and what we can get. Good stuff. Many thanks for your input and camaraderie.