4.5 gallon cube

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Ok, so I'm really seriously looking at getting this 10" 4.5 gallon cube tank...

I went and shopped around for stuff today at a couple LFS's, and got prices.
4.5 gal tank w/ glass top ~$15
2x9 watt coralife aqualight ~$30
25 watt heater ~$15
Top fin power filter ~$12 (aquaclears, tho I love em, cost double that)
5#'s of LR ~$20
Sand already have 50# extra laying around.

The reason I am going with the 4.5 instead of the 2.5 I was asking about is because I want to get a clown goby to go in there, plus its bigger with approx the same width.

If anyone has any of the stuff I'm looking at buying, just laying around, and are willing to get rid of it, hit me a PM, or reply to this post, I might buy it from ya :)

Also, if there's anything I'm missing (besides the goby and corals), let me know, I know there are quite a few experienced nano experts out there.

tommyp

You might want to run a 6500k screw in pc over it. I have 2 20w over my 5.5 and it seems to do okay with softies etc. The best part is that you can get them at depot and wire them up for cheap. 1000bulbs.com has 6500k screw ins up to 40watt that would be killer with some actinic.

Tom

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Cool, thanks for the idea! I might stick with the coralife fixture tho, cause for 28 bux you cant beat not having to wire anything (I'm a DIY idiot), and having a nice looking aluminum fixture, and bulbs are included (1 actinic, 1 10,000k), but I'll keep the HD idea in mind, cause that will work if I ever make a canopy for it. The $28 is about the cost of the 9w bulbs, so when replacing time comes around for the bulbs, I might upgrade a little.

tommyp

cool

Who makes the little cube? where can I get one? I have never seen one at the lfs. What are the demensions?

The wiring is way simple if you just wire one. you just put the wires from a extension cord to each side of the fixture. I use the small round ceramic fixtures. I thought a screw in would be great for the cube because you could mount it from the top of the hood hanging down saving space.

Tom

fidojoe

Fish Addict
The tank is 10x10x11, and I beleive that the height is the 11"s with the black trim. I have to get one ordered by my lfs. I can talk to him about having one shipped to you if you'd like, or I can buy it, and ship it to you if you pay for it. I was in there today, and he said he was only going to be carrying a few brands of tanks soon, but I think that these tanks are ones that he will still have. Thanks for the links BTW.:)

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I want to say its either Island Aquatics or AGA, I'll have to check, but I think they're actually the same brand anyways.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Ok, so I have an extra aquaclear 150 that I'm gonna use, and I have a 100w heater, I know, a bit much, but it'll save me some $, plus it won't have to work as hard, and I've also heard its better to have a slightly over sized heater on a nano.

I think all I need now is:
Coralife 2 x 9 watt fixture
4.5 gallon cube tank
5 lbs of lr

I'm going to the lfs tomorrow to order the tank, it will take a couple days to get. I have a 5 gallon bucket with salt water made, and the sand in there to settle, and tomorrow I'm getting the rock, and I'm going to start cycling it in the bucket till I get the tank. The rock I get is fully cured, it is spray cured for a week, then cured in a vat for a couple more weeks, then moved to one of the display sumps at the lfs where it is then sold. So there will be little cycling involved with this tank, and I have a decent test kit now, so I can watch it closely.

If anyone has some tips for me for starting off, they would be greatly appreciated. I am going to wait at least a week and continuously check the params, b4 I put anything in there, and wait a month for the clown goby goes in.

tommyp

Just take it slow. Things can go bad quick in such a small tank. I had a green clown goby in my 5.5 nano I moved him to my main tank and he immediately grew a ton. I think you are getting to the limit of tank size to keep fish in a nano. Because it is real easy to overfeed a tank that small. So I think I underfed him. I am keeping my 5.5 fishless for the time being. Don't tell Wit but a bought a decorator crab last night. he is a super cool critter. I hope he pulls some polyps and zo's to put on his back.

I think you have a good setup I think you should up the LR to 7lbs because you are going skimmerless. I don't think it could hurt.

How much sand are you going to run? I have just a little. I really don't know what is ideal in a nano.

aquatic ecosystems sells these real small cheap in tak skimmers that might work great to run once and a while on your tank.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7867

I have been tossing around buying one for my 5.5

have fun

Tom

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I was thinking about the feeding thing this morning, and that would be a problem.

What if I got a 2.5 gallon, 3#'s of LR, the coralife light, and 2 shrimp (type undecided), and no fish?
Or...
Minibow 2.5, 19w 6500k screw in bulb, 3#'s of LR, and shrimp?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Well, I told my parents what I was going to get exactly, and they told me they didn't want me to get another tank, but weren't going to stop me. I went to a different lfs, just to look, and saw a bright yellow fiji toadstool leather, and said I must have it...Poof! there goes the money for the nano:rolleyes: Oh well, maybe another time. I am however happy with the toadstool, it is a bright yellow, and is about 6-8" across when it is fully open. I can't wait to get it into the tank, as I'm aclimating it right now...Pics WILL come later.:D

tommyp

I would stick with the larger tank. Just realize that feeding is an issue. I think a yellow clown goby might work or a neon goby.

You could also add a hang on back fuge to add some more water. Shrimp would be cool as well. A guy over on NR makes them for $35 bux i think and they are just like the cpr's.

have fun

T