30 Gallon Reef Set Up.

RECKLESS

HELLO EVERYBODY MY NAME IS RECKLESS DAMSEL. AND I JUST RECENTLY JOINED THE COMMUNITY. I CURRENTLY HAVE A 30 GALLON LONG REEF AQUARIUM SET UP.... AND HAVE ONLY A FEW DAMSELS AND ABOUT 20 POUNDS OF LIVE ROCK IN THE TANK. IT IS CURRENTLY STILL CYCLING AND I AM NOTICING THAT THE AIR STONE IS PRODUCING ALLOT OF BUBBLES ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER. IS THIS NORMAL MAYBE ? UNTIL THE TANK FULLY CYCLES OR DO I NEED TO GET A SKIMMER. ALSO HOW CAN I GET MY LIVE ROCK TO GROW PLANTS AND PURPLE ALGEA. AND APPROXIMATELY HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL ITS FULLY CYCLED. ITS BEEN SET UP FOR ABOUT A LITTLE OVER A MONTH NOW HOW MUCH LONGER DO I HAVE TO WAIT. ALSO MY LIVE ROCK IS STARTING TO 'DIS COLOR 'QUITE A BIT TURNING ALMOST FULLY BROWN. IS IT STILL GOOD OR DO I NEED TO GET ANOTHER AND THROW THE OTHER ONE AWAY? I ALSO NEEDED TO KNOW THAT IF I COULD PUT AN BRACKISH WATER PUFFER INTO THE TANK. I HEARD THAT THEY CAN FULLY ADAPT TO FULL STRENGH SALT WATER. IS THIS TRUE?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR
ADVICE, :hallo:
RECKLESS DAMSEL.

Newt

Welcome, it sounds like your cycle is in full bloom that is the reason your rock is brown. Under any circumstances do not throw your rock away, you would just have to re-cycle with any new rock. Any your question about when the cycle is over...well it's just over when it's over, there's no set time frame unfortunately. Pull that airstone out, it's not going to really do any good, provide circulation to your tank via powerheads and that will be all of the oxygenation that your tank will need. In a reef system I would definitely recommend the use of a protein skimmer, and it would definitely help pull dissolved wastes from your water column, and make it a lot easier on your fish.

If I were you at this point, I would take the rock out and give it a scrub with some saltwater mixed to the same SG as your display to remove any nasties...then I would invest in the best skimmer you can afford. I would also remove those damsels from your tank, you will most likely encounter many aggression problems with them in the future. And to the brackish puffer I would say no, first very aggressive. Secondly, yes it could be done but it would have to be done very slowly...ie, raising the SG about .001 everyday until you reach your SG of the saltwater tank. And with all of that trouble, if you really want a puffer you could just buy a SW puffer, but I couldn't recommend any puffer for a reef tank (not safe with inverts, and some corals).

Finally, I think your caps lock is on...LOL. Please turn it off unless you want it to seem like you're screaming at us.

Hope I answered some of your questions, welcome to RS again, and I would suggest reading through the many stickies on our wonderful site.

Jason

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
DITTO TO JKREEF... oppps ;)

Welcome to RS Reckless! :D

You will know when the cycle is complete by checking the ammonia, nitrIte and finally nitrAte levels. there should be zero amm and nitrItes. You will see a gradual rise in nitrAtes once the tank is cycled. Keep the trAtes under 10 ppm for a healthy tank.

The 'froth' you mention from the airstone is an indication that the water is full of organics (organics attach themselves to the watersurface -- thus how a skimmer works). Airstones are frowned upon due to the excessive salt creep they create... you can use one if you don't mind that.

Brown rocks? Probably algae? A good scrubbing will work well for an initial start. A skimmer will certainly reduce the organics that feed the algae. In addition, a rowaphos or phosban media will absorb phosphates from the water. Carbon also works well for absorbing organics but be sure to soak it in ro/di water BEFORE you use it since it is usually loaded with phosphates. If you don't have an ro/di unit, get one asap. They remove all the nasties from tap water :)

Purple rocks? Coralline algae will grow on your rocks with time, good water and a supply of calcium. I use kalkwasser (pickling lime mixed with water) for all evaporation top offs. This works great for my system to keep the calcium & alkalinity up. Also, be aware that high phosphates inhibits calcium growth (coralline or any other calcium base coral/algae) so keep it to a minimum.

Sorry, I don't know about puffers.

Gina

RS STAFF
:hallo: and Welcome!
How is your cycle going?
Have you picked out a skimmer yet?
Have you been testing your water levels to see where you are at in the cycle phase?