2 Gallon Evolve

Iamonlyme

Daughter is wanting to start her own Nano so we are reviving our old betta tank a 2 gallon aqueon evolve. Couple of questions?
1) Anyone else using this tank and if so what are you doing for filtration? (Chemical or Refugium)
2) Than end goal is reef can anyone recommend a good nano light?

Picture to follow current stock
DT
Live Sand
Live Rock
Red leg crab
Nano heater
1st back chamber
More Live Rock
2nd back chamber
Pump

Tank is just now starting cycle the crab is in there because he was in a piece of Live rock that was taken from my DT.

Iamonlyme

cc2379aacced758944c62d57f6e99110.jpg

Current lighting Coralife mini t5 6w 1-10k 1-actinic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iamonlyme

Thinking of going with the nano light from reef radiance any input anyone who has this light pros cons?

Iamonlyme

Still interested in recommendations for filtration and input on reef radiance's nano 60 light here is a picture of the back compartments and how they are used right now
3130e2508cc5ffe6aa2225ebb492d8ef.jpg

puffermike

I'd send an email to Rick from reefradiance and he'll point you in the direction for the exact light you need. As far as filtration for this 2 gallon tank, I don't think you need anything except water changes. That's going to be the most cost effective way for you.

So, you'll need heater, 5G bucket, salt and a powerhead. Match the temp and salinity for the water changes and you'll be golden. Be careful and very precise with the salinity and temp. Small tanks can crash if they are off when doing a water change.

Iamonlyme

Thanks for the input I did contact Rick and he recommended the nano 60 which is the direction I am leaning.
Was looking for input from anyone who is using this light currently and how far above the tank the light is?

puffermike

I don't have that particular light but I do have four fixtures from ReefRadiance. I have them all anywhere from 8-10 inches above the tanks water level.

Iamonlyme

Thank you!!! Are your running at 100% or less and what types of corals do you have and how has the color and growth been? Sorry for the questions just thinking of buying for all my tanks lol I currently have leds on my bio and 40 tall but they are from China and they don't seem to encourage growth and my water test are all good just really want this nano to thrive for her lol

puffermike

Ask all the questions you need too. The color and growth has been great! I am a big fan of feeding corals and from my studies I've noticed remarkable growth when feeding them. So if you get anything you can feed, I'd recommend it.

The types of corals I have grown under the RR lights are everything. Proof is in a picture right? This mixed reef of mine has had a years worth of growth under RR's lighting. This light has a schedule and the max of the blues and whites go is about 50-70% but I had to acclimate them very slowly. Start off with 30% max in the early stages and as the weeks go by add 5%. I still haven't gotten them up to 100% yet with this particular light because it's incredibly bright. It's the Lumentek Pro 240.

20141229_130837_zps1fe5e4bd.jpg

Iamonlyme

Beautiful!!! Thanks for the info. I think I will be ordering the light Friday for nano for sure for everything else not sure yet my hubby has been talking about getting me a Red Sea Max S series to combine my two tanks to one lol Little does he know that that just gives me more tanks to start a new one lol

Iamonlyme

Today's reading
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Dirty glass but so far that is it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iamonlyme

And the cycle continues… this is the hardest part the waiting game I have never been good at it :(

Iamonlyme

What is the recommended water change on a tank this small? Specially since it is running with bio filtration only

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Your last nitrate reads ten, I've never had a tank this small but i did have an 8 gallon.

I would do 20% now, as was recommended above be careful to match salinity and temp.

Then maybe another 20% in a few days since you just cycled.

Have you added any new bioload? What's the plan for the first inhabitants?

Congratulations on your patience, and good luck with the tank!

Iamonlyme

Only added 2 snails and plan is Dragon breath macro blue cloves green star polyp and only inhabitant will be a shrimp of some kind