2.5 or 4.5

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Ok, sine I really don't want to risk some major damage to my house and my parents cars, I have decided to live with my sumpless 50 gallon tank. I will, however, be doing some rennovations to it (new powerheads n stuff). I think I have gotten over the fact that I can't do what I wanted with it.

Also, I will be setting up a nano. I just cannot decide wether I want a 2.5 gallon, or the 4.5 gallon cube. I really like the cube design, and the total cost difference between the tanks is only about $15.

Heres how they would be set up-
2.5 or 4.5 gallon tank
AC 150 filter (overkill, but I already have it)
100w heater (also overkill, but I already have this too, it is only 3 months old)
.5"-1" sand bed
Coralife 2x 9w PC fixture
3 or 5 #'s of lr, depending (don't want to completely cram it with rock)

If I get the 4.5, eventually, I would add a clown goby, if I get the 2.5, I would get a peppermint shrimp, or something.

Help me decide:explode:

ReefLady

Staff member
The bigger the better, IMO. Even with- ESPECIALLY with IMO- nanos. I think 4.5 Will be enough of a challenge by itself. Plus I just love clown gobies. :)

Craig Manoukian

I vote 4.5 as well, if you're not a seasoned nanoer. Had a 6 gallon eclipse once upon a time and very tricky to keep the params right.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

I'd also go with the 4.5. I had a 10g and it filled up too fast. I couldnt imagine a a 2g

That suck that you house or parents wouldnt suport the larger tank. a friend of mine has a 120 and a 20g sump on the second floor. I also have a 46g with 80lbs of rock and 30g of rodi water right next to it up stairs... no problems.

Good luck

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Thanks for the input, I like the cube look, and I think that is my best option. Caja, your tanks are what inspired me to get a nano. I've always liked em, but seeing all the pics of hers made me REALLY want a nano reef tank. I like the sexy shrimp, but I can't get em locally, at least for a fair price, and I don't want to pay some outrageous shipping charge to order some in. The thing I like about the cube is the 10" depth, which is rare in the smaller nanos. For the heater, I'll look into either a 25w, or a 50w.

As for the stability issues, I have my own theories, but I don't want to be the one to start an argument.:D

semigodd154

I would do a standard 5.5 drill it put a 15g sump under it put a pair of fireshrimps in there and maybe a clown goby def. ditch the heater sit back and enjoy BTW I beleive a 5.5 is also 10inches deep you just get more surface area.

caja

rats...outnumbered. actually, keeping a nano isn't really as difficult as you'd think.as long as you are dilligent with the water changes and top offs, the smaller tanks can be very rewarding. I'd have to agree tho, that a larger nano leaves more room for error because of the inreased water volume.

keep in mind that going with a tank that isn't the standard rectangle shape makes lighting choices a challenge, unless you build your own hood to house a retro kit.

good luck! can't wait to see what you end up with.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
The lighting isn't a concern, I'm just going to use a 2x9watt coralife fixture either way, cause it fits either tank.
I just have to decide where to put the tank, if I got the 2.5, it could go on my desk, but I dunno where I would put the 4.5.

No sump btw, now we're talking a setup thats gonna cost me more the 50 would.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hey caja! I went with your advice, and got the 2.5, but no sexies tho, cause I can't find em anywhere:D. Plus I have to let the tank cylce. It won't take long to cycle tho, cause I got fully cured rock from the lfs, and it was only out of water for ~20-30 min. I'll still let it sit a couple weeks tho. I got the 2x9 watt coralife fixture, and 3.2#'s of lr to be exact. I still need to buy a new heater, cause right now, I have the 100w one in there. Just need to find a place that sells the 25 watters. I'll be starting a thread on this, and my 50 gallon in the new forum, but have to wait till I get home rom the reef club auction today.

semigodd154

I had a 2.5 for awhile with a harlequin shrimp and some zoos and shrooms nice little tanks and only a couple of cups for a WC but i still prefer a 5.5