130 Broken Skimmer

tp16306

I have noticed my tank getting a little cloudy over the last few days and when I went to go check everything in the back out i noticed my skimmer is not working at all. My question is this: I know that everyone gets the tunze skimmer, but I also see people getting another kind. Also do you think I should just add a sump on the bottom and put the filter to that? Thanks for all your advice, I better be getting to this tank soon, but thank god I have a plate coral and nothing else in there yet.

tp16306

Also do you guys think it would be smart to just buy a new pump and save $90? I plan on having a lot of corals in there

reefer gladness

A new pump for the tunze would be the easiest way to go. Lots of people use them and if you've had no trouble up until now there's no reason to switch. Mechanical failure is just another part of life.

I think the other skimmer folks are starting to use is the Turboflotor Blue 500, I've been extremely happy with it as a replacement to the stock skimmer. Again no reason to switch if you've been happy with the Tunze but the Turboflotor 500 will also fit in the back chamber of the RSM 130.

A sump system has numerous benefits (increased water volume, surface agitation, refugium) but it's not necessary unless you want a much larger skimmer.

tp16306

I do not have the tunze skimmer. I had the stock one sorry for the confusion. I'm just not sure which route I should go with. Wither new stock pump, possibly a used or new tunze or adding a sump and do that route.

tnwillia

First I'd pull it out tear it down and clean it, if it still fails and your tank is still under warranty I'd go to Red Sea and get the pump replaced. That gives you more time to think about it. My .02 move to the Sump/overflow/Skimmer and clear out the back chambers. Good luck!