12g CUC Recommendations

huskerdan25

Hi everyone. My tank is a week old now and have various types of algae growing, including, unfortunately, hair algae. I have had to tone down the number of hours I have my lights on so that should help a little. Anyway, all of the water parameters have been good (0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, 1.024 sg, alk 4) and I think my tank is ready for the cleanup crew.

I understand that the thinking on snails in a tank is 1 per 2 gallons. What would you recommend as far as the number and types of snails to get for my CUC? Also, the same with hermit crabs. What would be your recommendation on number and type?

Also, if you have purchased your CUC from an online source, I would like to know how that went and if you would recommend a particular online source. My LFS has a limited supply of snails and crabs (had no blue-legged hermits at all) so I may want to purchase a crew online. I know liveaquaria sells packages but the smallest package is for a 30g tank. Premiumaquatics does allow you to purchase snails and crabs individually.

I look forward to your suggests/recommendations!

Dan

huskerdan25

Actually, it looks like I can order individual cleanup crew species from liveaquaria. So, once I get some of your recommendations, I can see if it will be cheaper to purchase a package from an online source or by each snail and/or hermit crab individually from a place like liveaquaria or premiumaquatics. Thanks and looking forward to your input!

Dan

huskerdan25

Based on this fine article, it sounds like I should stay away from crabs: http://www.reefland.com/rho/0305/medprod3.php

So, I'm thinking of getting a combination of Nassarius, Cerith and Astraea snails. The Super Tongan Nassarius Snail also has my interest. For a 12g tank, how many of each should I get? 5 of each? Maybe a couple of Super Tongan Nassarius Snail?

I hope some of you wise reefers can help me make this important decision.

Dan

Stevenmi

I want to thank you huskerdan....I had no idea bumble bee snails were bad guys..I have two in my 12g tank and they will be relocated BACK to my LFS.

It did not ever register with me why the two are hangin out and on my pipe organ coral....

Steve

huskerdan25

If you just go to some online stores who sell different snails and crabs, you would never know that some are not good for the reef tank! Thankfully, I found this article from another post on this fine message forum to point me in the right direction. Glad it was helpful to you as well.

Dan

mps9506

It's up to you if blue legs are safe or not. I personally use them in my tanks, I know lots of people that think they are the spawn of satan.
Anyways I use a mix of astreas, ceriths and blue legs in my tanks. Usually 1 astrea for every 2-5 gallons (they grow pretty good size, when they are small I do 1-2 gallons, as they grow I find I don't need to keep replacing them as they die), a cerith for every 3-4 gallons, and 1 hermit for every 2-3 gallons. I like the itty bitty hermits that can't screw with my snails.
I don't know what type of LFS's you have but many offer quantity dedals to make them competitive with online vendors. You are looking at about 12 snails and 6 hermits give or take. Most places charge $45 to ship overnight plus however much your snails/hermits cost. At my store you'd be looking at around $36 in snails and hermits (I run about average to higher than average on my prices)...
If you are buying a bunch of snails and hermits you might be able to find free shipping, but most of the time that is over $100 in stuff.

Oh and the Nas. snails... If you have a sand bed they are great, but if not don't bother...

Charlie97L

be aware that astrea's can't turn themselves back over if they are flipped... it's a pita. turbos, ceriths, and nassarius should be all you need.

hermits are useless IMO if you have snails. i have like 10 in my sump, blue and red, and they are aggressive little buggers.