Search results

1. M

DIY FOOD. Question about freezing zoecon and garlic.

I am about to make a large batch of some homemade food for my fish and corals and was planning on adding some kent marine zoecon, some selcon and garlic. I know on the bottle it says to soak your food in each product several minutes before feeding, then place it into your tank. But if i add...
  2. M

diy coral plugs

another idea is. i use old wine corks from wine bottles. and just take a pocket knife and shave one end down to the size i need to to easily fit into holes of rocks.....RECYCLIN
  3. M

Urchin riff-raff

what kind of urchin is that?
  4. M

First and Second Saltwater Tank! New =D

cool stuff. looks good. i noticed you have a digital thermomter. if i was you i would get rid of it and i have never had good luck with them and they always ended up going bad. Also same with the hydrometer. when i got my refractometer turned out my salinity was way off even though hydrometer...
  5. M

DIY Reef Food

hey FCatCH76 and Bigbal, do you all feed your special food mixes in your tanks everday? or do you all do one day your special food mix and then the next something like frozen mysis shrimp and just alternate back and forth. I know those special and homemade mixes and awesome for your tank...
  6. M

two SPS 400 watt 14000k mogul metal halide light bulbs

I have two slightly used SPS (south pacific sunlight) 400 watt 14000k mogul metal halide light bulbs. I paid 75 bucks + shipping for each bulb and ran them for 5 hours a day for a little more than a month before I realized they were too strong for my tank. So I bought 2 of the exact same bulbs...
  7. M

What do I need to start a frag tank

Going to fast and not doing research before jumping on in is the biggest one people make even though it is so hard not to ha
  8. M

Torn between 20 or 30 Gallon Long tank.

its only a 10 gallon difference so the cost of operating is going to be almost exactly the same. easy decision. go 30.
  9. M

Salt - Which is best?

does anyone know if they sell buckets bigger than 200 gallons?
  10. M

Elmo's 115G mixed reef

your not putting a black or blue background to hide the plumbing?
  11. M

Are My 400 watt MH Too Strong For My Tank?

thanks for the input. tank looks awesome and looks cool have a clam as your center peice of the tank
  12. M

ya my tank temp is fine. Frankie how deep was your tank and how high were they mounted off the water because my tank is 22 inches deep and my bulbs from the center of the bulb to water level is 6.5 inches. I have a really short canopy. which i assume why my rocks are bleached out on the tops.
  13. M

Ya, i think i have decided to buy 2 new ballasts and 2 new sps bulbs. wish i didnt have to spend the money but think it will all around help my tank bc some softies actually seem to close up a lil when the 400s come on. prob about 80 bucks for 2 new ballast and about 120 for 2 new bulbs...
  14. M

Thanks for the input. It is a standard 125 gallon tank (72x18x22)The lights can not raised as they are mounted in the canopy. But I made it through the summer fine. I believe I saw the temp hit 84 once or twice and in the winter we keep our house so cold i had to run 2 heaters. I wanted...
  15. M

Ok kinda going nuts here. I have a 6' long 125 gallon reef tank i start last October, I have been taking it real slow due to having no money. Well so when i finally purchased my lights in December i went back and forth between retro fitting two 250 watt mh or two 400s. So decided to go with...
  16. M

Great Scott! Mcflys 125 reef.

Been a while since i updated been busy with school but have battled a diatom alage outbreak which is gone and have some hair alage now which i have been trying to figure out the source of the phospates, but have been looking into buying a phosphate reactor to run all the time. I also since then...
  17. M

why is my phosban reactor not working?

you end up going with the 2 little fishies reactori see versus the one from bulk reef?? Did you end up getting a dual reactor to run carbon or just the phosphate reactor?
  18. M

Serious temperature swings

fyi digital thermoms dont work for a damn after you have had them for a while
  19. M

Phosban Reactor Good/Bad/UGLY

bump, have the same exact question.
  20. M

cleaning sand

ya crushed coral is no good usually. most likely greene's source of red slime. i just take a small tube and syphon a thin layer off the top to get the fish poop and stuff seems to work well. a small tube is the key because the syphon isnt stong enough to actually suck the sand or not much of...