Search results

1. fishinchick

Something Growing In Sump

It looks like you are getting the common 'pineapple sponge'. I know theres another name for it but all you need to know is that they are a harmless filter feeder that likes to grow in dark places. It will seem like they are everywhere, and then they'll slow dissappear and return. I see...
  2. fishinchick

Cleaner Help?

Keep in mind that most of the snails available in our industry are cooler water snails and will die out in 7 months to one year. All of your losses are not likely hermits. Of course again those hermits didn't get those shells by saying "please may I"?. I'm just stating that you can't...
  3. fishinchick

Cleaner Help?

Nassarius and cerrith snails are good for consuming leftover bits of food and as long as the detritus is edible they'll go thru that too. conches arent really good for detritus removal since they eat algae. So if you don't have an algae problem that will likely starve. I know some of...
  4. fishinchick

Ornaments in Your Tank?

OMG it's Flameangelzilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Sorry I couldnt pass it up. Ok funny story - no lie .... I had a client email one day asking about ornaments for her reef. She wanted to decorate for the holidays. So she had a nice little christmas tree of plastic and wanted to put...
  5. fishinchick

Ornaments in Your Tank?

I think the hotel at Disneyworld would agree that the 'Atlantis' theme works great!! The corraline algae in time will grow on the deocrations and add a sense of realism to the aquarium. My Fiancee says that if I upgrade to a bigger tank I have to get a small skeleton to lay on the ground...
  6. fishinchick

Looking for algae eater!

I've always seen conches in the sand, never on the rock. That's a new one on me. Thats why people usually recommend the queen (not so good) and the fighting (much better) for handling sandbed algae and cyano. Mine reach up as high as they can but never leave the sand.
  7. fishinchick

Hatching Brine Shrimp

Actually you can invert a 2 litre soda bottle with the bottom end cut off on a 2x4 that has a hole drilled in it just large enough to keep the bottle upright.... The soda bottle cap becomes the base. Use an airpump with some airline tubing, add a 6 inch piece of rigid airline tubing on the...
  8. fishinchick

75 gal reef tank six months old

I had a pair of yellow damsels make a nest and frequently spawn in my tank. They kicked my barnacle blenny out of his barnacle and took over. :LOL:
  9. fishinchick

Questions on fish......

yeah I got hit by a doliatus the week before. My thumb hurt and wouldnt bend right for days .... that is after the initial poke which hurt like you can't believe!!!!!!
  10. fishinchick

Joes Juice Meets Bristle Worms ... Worms run in phear!

well it was nasty so no. If I find another big one in the system and I blow it up I guess I could post the pictures but it's pretty gross. I dont wanna get smacked around for posting snuff shots ;)
  11. fishinchick

PomPom Xenia Question - Dying?

Usually when I'm buying xenia the first thing I do is squish the heads to make sure there are no hard lumps. The hard lumps can be parasite nudibranch, crabs that eat xenia or other problems. I also suggest an iodine dip for the stuff. That often helps too. Also when you get a new colony...
  12. fishinchick

My 15 year old works for the same company I do and she found out by accident. I was fascinated.
  13. fishinchick

In search of a skimmer

The ASM G series comes with a pump I believe. For a sump the size of yours the MiniG would do fine, a G1 would be better. For my 30 I used a G2 Yes, yes it's overkill but I had it on my 60 and plan on using it on a big tank again someday when the moment strikes me to have a big tank...
  14. fishinchick

Mostly are good guys ... unless they are huge or you have tons of them. I've seen tanks with so many of them that they don't have enough to eat and they go after the serpent starfish and eat their little legs off. When it comes to that - you have a dilemma.
  15. fishinchick

Questions on fish......

cheekcs69 is spot on about the tang and foxface. Foxface love zoanthids, anthelia, xenia etc. Heck even tangs are noted to pick at corals in the absence of something good to eat. The puffer will not only nibble your inverts, they are tail nippers too. Can be dangerous for ol puffy if it...
  16. fishinchick

Looking for algae eater!

Lawnmower blennies and Bicolor blennies end up niping at corals and such as they age and less at your algae. They often become pretty beligerent. How about getting some cerrith or astrea snails? The problem with the big turbo snails is they only eat a particular kind of hair algae. Not...
  17. fishinchick

Hey, in case anyone is interested, Joes Juice when squirted on bristle worms kills them. In or out of water. This is nice on those huge buggers that look like the creature from the black lagoon. Dead. Big Time. They explode. Grossest thing I've ever seen. I almost lost my lunch...
  18. fishinchick

Chromis

Chromis, even though they are relatively peaceful, are still damsels. They tend to fight with each other. Why do you think it's always suggested to keep them in uneven numbers and big groups? I've seen them frequently lock lips and spin fight each other - this is seen in larger males when...
  19. fishinchick

In search of a skimmer

If you have a sump, an ASM G series skimmer will be the last skimmer you will have to buy. It skims really well, is fairly simple to adjust and you dont have to mess with it all the time. It's practically plug and play as in most cases the 'factory setting' is usually just fine. If you...
  20. fishinchick

75 gal reef tank six months old

Are they randomly attacking the bottom or the sand or are they chewing at the same spot? If they are going after the same spot they are showing spawning behavior. clownfish are so goofy.