Search results

1. L

HOB refugium advice?

I've set up a 2.5 gallon hex tank with a bit of live rock rubble and several macros I got online. Tons of pods already! I'm feeding them phyto and trying to get a culture of microalgae going. No sand though ... should I add sand too? I've got ulva, brown seaweed, red and green skinny...
  2. L

HOB refugium advice?

Yeah, I've seen some really cool macroalgaes but wasn't sure if that's what you'd use or something else ... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. L

HOB refugium advice?

So what all would you put in it to be a second display? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. L

HELP! I'm stumped ...

I clean vials between every use and am meticulous in following directions for testing. I measure out with a syringe for all testing to be consistent. I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Is this not a good salt? I'll stop dosing I guess ... and just watch my levels fall off the chart...
  5. L

HELP! I'm stumped ...

I thought 1300-1500 was ideal range ... and mag about 3x calc, which would put it at 1440 since calc is holding steady at 480. Either way, level is dropping rapidly and I don't know why. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. L

HELP! I'm stumped ...

I only used a bag of regular instant ocean before switching out to instant ocean reef crystals. Same company. I also have done quite a few water changes since switching. The only thing I'm dosing is magnesium. Some of the corals (along with some live rock) came with the tank as I bought it used...
  7. L

HELP! I'm stumped ...

I agree, but the corals aren't looking as happy as they should. And I was only testing weekly until my magnesium just wasn't coming up. I'm just stumped that even though I'm dosing its as if I hadn't dosed anything at all. I just wanted to get it up to a good level in ratio to the alk and calc...
  8. L

HELP! I'm stumped ...

So my tank is about 2.5 months old. BC29. 1 bluefin damsel. Zoas, mushrooms and one recovering sun coral (accidentally tried to kill ... has 1 tiny head and about half of a larger one) have been there for quite some time. I recently added a Duncan, hammer and trumpet. Several snails, 2 hermits...
  9. L

HELP! Mushroom on death's door ...

I guess my thoughts on stabilization were that I'd know exactly what was going in now and not have to guess if my source water was the issue, fighting an uphill battle ... at least the phosphates would lower significantly. And hopefully it will remove whatever has been irritating my mushrooms...
  10. L

I agree. I won't be adding anything else. Hopefully switching to RODI will solve the issues and allow everything to balance out. And just to clarify if I hadn't already, these were some of the original mushrooms that came with the tank purchase. The one I bought that died was a while back ...
  11. L

Thanks. And I just tested my source water for phosphates and it came out 0.19. Yea. So I now know that is my phosphate problem. And after dosing the mag Wednesday after a water change, it is now reading 1230. So Wednesday before change was 1170, after change was 1185 and now 2 days later after 1...
  12. L

How slowly should I raise it? Should I be doing water changes more often than 7-9 days? I usually change about 5 gallons, but I've done 10 a couple times. I also vac out the sump area and blow everything off the rocks and then rinse the filter pad once it has run for a bit to catch any debris...
  13. L

Ok I'll move it back out into the light. It was in the light when it melted away though ... I know about feeding the sun coral. Unfortunately I was an idiot and tried to dip it and much of it died ... [emoji53] it's recovering now though and I do spot feed it and am seeing more tissue growth...
  14. L

help identify this coral

Yep. The heads should puff up a bit once it's comfortable. That's cool. How much was it? Our Petsmart doesn't carry sw. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. L

Hi! I'm brand new here but have been on other sw forums for the past few months. (Under the same name) Anyway, I've had my BC29 up and running since the middle of December. I bought a 75 gallon that came with some damsels, coral and live rock, so I put it all in the 29 until I get the 75 up...
  16. L

BioCube Newbie

Following along ... I started my BC29 back in the middle of December. My first salt tank also! I've done lots of reading and "shopping" and list making ... it seems I'm constantly looking up a new fish or coral to see if it's compatible with my tank and my skill level/time and attention. I've...