Search results

1. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Here's a photo of the anemone now- it's foot looks fine but I'm not sure if it's still moving (I've been out most of the day so I can't tell if hasn't moved). I realised I didn't show you a photo of the clowns so there they are. They were sold to us as a guaranteed couple so they haven't...
  2. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

The anemone seems to be healthy- just moving. I think it's settled down now but I'm not completely sure so I'm going to leave the powerhead off for the day and see if the anemone will settle down overnight. I haven't been able to do a full test on the water yet but more strange things have...
  3. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Here's a better photo. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Sorry it's been a while. In general things have been going well, the carbon has brought nitrates down to less than 5ppm (but more than 2ppm) and I've been using 'Rowa phos' phosphate remover. Since our nitrates haven't risen at all, we introduced two clown fish to our tank on Tuesday...
  5. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

So I went to our aquatics centre and bought carbon (which we'll put into our filtration system tomorrow). I also bought a phosphate test kit and tested our water. Our tank water has a phosphate reading of 1.36ppm which is really high- now we know what is fuelling our algae. I tested our RO...
  6. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

I'll have a look around the filtration with my dad to see if there are any other pumps we can clean- he did say he wanted to clean the first and third chamber this weekend. If all things go well then, hopefully, we'll get a little clown to give our anemone some company! I think, once we bring...
  7. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

I tested our homemade RO (made from tap water) for nitrates and it came back with a 0ppm reading. I think our source of nitrates was caused by a mixture of over feeding, letting the water level be too low so the protein skimmer wasn't working and the salt water our aquatics centre gave us (I...
  8. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Here is a photo of our nitrate levels a day after the 30% water change. We ran out of salt so we'll do another 30% tomorrow. The anemone and zoa seem to be doing very well after the water change. :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

I just finished doing a 30% water change and the anemone seems fine (it was already a bit deflated before the water change and has stayed the same). We will probably stick with 30% water changes from now on because we our mixing bucket can only hold 25L (so 50% changes are out of the question)...
  10. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Update: I've been doing 10% (8L) water changes everyday for 3 days now. It's still early days but I'll attach photos of nitrate tests I've done so you can see the (very small) reduction in nitrates. It's hard to tell on camera, but the pink is becoming a little less deep in colour. The anemone...
  11. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

We were going to use Red Sea but we went to another aquatics centre and they gave us Tropic Marin. After mixing, I tested our homemade water and nitrates were less than 2ppm (a VERY faint pink) so I think the brand is fine. I did a full test on our tank water (after one 10% water change with...
  12. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

I understand what you and others have told me and if it were up to me, the anemone would have been gone a long time ago. I've had 'heated discussions' with my dad about keeping the anemone but I think it's hard for him to understand that- yes the anemone looks great now -but it could die at...
  13. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Here's also a picture of our tank at 9 weeks now. I siphon the gravel and rock every other day now as that's how long it takes the cyano to grow in sheets again. The anemone and zoa are still doing very well.
  14. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Thank you so much for the advice! I just tried out food that I prepared in advance- it's so much easier to separate the tiny mysis shrimp from all the 'juice'! I can actually see my chromis eat individual pieces of shrimp rather than just clouds of juice which also makes me feel better about...
  15. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, we had already ordered the RO unit before this post was made! However, I think it will be better for us to get a grip with basics so that we can learn more about how to control salinity and other tank parameters in general. The RO system (to be more...
  16. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Its been pretty busy at school this week so I haven't been able to do a whole lot with the tank! I've kept the salinity at 1.023sg and I am feeding my chromis 6-7 mysis shrimp a day. Everything else seems to be doing fine although we have had problems with Cyanobacteria. After some research, I...
  17. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

I bring some good news! I've managed to bring the salinity levels down to 1.023s.g. so now I can concentrate solely in bringing down these nitrate levels. I decided to do some detective work and made a list of possible nitrate sources: 1. Dirty protein skimmer- we cleaned our protein skimmer...
  18. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Thanks for the advice! My dad is going to order a RODI unit this week. As for the refractometer, after 2 hours of fiddling around with it, I've realised how sensitive it is! I've been recalibrating it before every use now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

Update: I went to my aquatics centre and sorted out my refractometer- our salinity was at 1.025sg and I've brought it down to 1.024sg today. I'll bring it down gradually to around 1.022-23sg by Wednesday hopefully. I went and bought mysis shrimp for the chromis and mussels for the anemone...
  20. rmud

HELP! First Anemone

In response to Dave, our aquatics centre gives us saltwater that they mix themselves. Do you suggest we start mixing our own saltwater? My dad has been thinking of buying an RO filter for our tap so we can mix our own water. Now that I've realised how many things our aquatics centre has failed...