Search results

1. terriertype

What to expect after 24hours power failure

We lost power due to an ice storm on Friday. It was out for 24 hours. Tank temp dropped to 59F same as house. I did manage to put in a battery operated air stone. The power is still a bit iffy with little spikes and brown outs. I have leather corals that looked very unhappy, acan, torch-...
  2. terriertype

Tankmate for sixline wrasse and cleaner shrimp and corals

Get a lawnmower. I have one in my tank. Although it is not the most colourful fish, it is the most fun to watch. He/she is almost like having a pet. It always comes to the front of the tank when I come into the room. Plus it is really good at cleaning the rock work.
  3. terriertype

Cleaner Shrimp question

How often should/do cleaner shrimp moult? I thought my cleaner shrimp was dead until I realized it was just the shell. He has done it lots of times in the past 6 months, but this was the first time there so much colour to it. I would take a picture but he currently hiding out behind a large...
  4. terriertype

Ricordea or not

Mushroom Anemone it is. Thanks for the help. It also explains why it is so fast growing.
  5. terriertype

Ricordea or not

Is this a Ricordea or not? Some say “yes", some say “no”. I think it is, but who I am to disagree with those who have been it a lot longer than I have. It was the first coral I got and all I knew was that it was a mushroom. It has grown like a bad weed and I am looking to give it to some one...
  6. terriertype

Should I cut off the dead sections

I got this candy cane for next to nothing. Just wondering if I should cut off the dead sections or just leave it alone?
  7. terriertype

Gorilla Glue

Anybody used Gorilla glue for building rock aquascape or fragging?
  8. terriertype

Which brands and where to shop on-line

My friends are in Florida and I can get them to bring back to Canada a few hardware and dry good items for me. The selection is much broader in the USA, than here. Which on-line store has the best pricing and quality for things like HOB refugium, power heads, etc... Thanks
  9. terriertype

Things that sting and poison

Over time we all get complacent. We forget that things in our tanks can sting, spit and just overall try to defend themselves. Recently I was moving an unhappy kenya tree. I had gloves on, but they only went up over my wrist. I forgot to look my urchin. I found it the hard way when I...
  10. terriertype

Auto brine shrimp hatchery and feeder

I bought the Tom’s Aquarium continuous and automatic brins shrimp hatchery and feeder. Save your money. The first issue is that the suction cups don’t stay in place. Then you have brine eggs floating everywhere through your tank. They are noisy and even if you come up with a fix for the...
  11. terriertype

how do I catch a stone crab in my tank?

I would put a small glass mason jar (depending on the size of the crab) and put a chunk raw shell fresh shell fish. The reason for the glass mason jar is the sides offer no grip and opening is much smaller than the bottom. It is hard for the crab to get out. I would also sort of lure the...
  12. terriertype

Advice on fishee wish list please

I have 3 fish in my 30gl long. 2 blue/green chromis and 1 salfin/lawnmower blenny. The chromis were cheap and hardy. They add wonderful colour to the tank and are often swimming about. I have one cleaner shrimp which the chromis hate when it tries to clean them. I know my fish aren’t sexy...
  13. terriertype

Re-doing Aquascape

I need to rearrange the rock in my tank. Now that it is set up and running it just looks wrong. The foot print is 12 x 36” and 16” tall. Makes for a long tank layout without much room for depth in the rock arrangement. When I purchased my original dry rock I got a combination of branch...
  14. terriertype

NEWBIE ALERT

After doing some snooping around on the internet I found the name for majority of the corals. Frogspawn Hammer Kenya tree Sun coral I am not sure of the name of the one to the left of the Kenya Tree Or the the little round one I have had the mushroom colony for 2 months or more, the Duncan’s...
  15. terriertype

NEWBIE ALERT

Here are photos of my corals
  16. terriertype

NEWBIE ALERT

Here are the answers I can give you: Tank was set up Oct. 29/15. To cycle the tank I used Dr. Tim’s One & Only & ammonia as recommended. Initial water was 100% RO and the salt mix was Instant Ocean Reef. Size: 36 x 17 x 17” - total, sump is built-in and is 5” and runs the entire length...
  17. terriertype

NEWBIE ALERT

I have just started into reefing after many years of freshwater. I have been lucky in that I have had good information from various people. Having said that I have also proceeded too quickly as I am sure a lot of people new to the hobby do. I had the opportunity to get quite a few corals for...