Search results

1. Akvaristu

HELP! Algae problem, corals may be dying.

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it! @DaveK I already tested my RO/DI water. It was showing 0 ppm and 0 nitrates, phosphates and nitrites. I may have those pollutants in my main tank but like you said, it's showing almost 0 because algae consume them. Before buying a pouch of...
  2. Akvaristu

Following up about my algae problem. Two weeks ago, I added a pouch of Chemi-Pure Blue and couldn't see any difference in algae growth. Then I tried to do a big water change (5 gallon). The result was, again, an algae bloom of cyano and green algae (on rocks, sand and even on the top of the...
  3. Akvaristu

HELP! Spirobis and snails dying (nitrates were 100 ppm!)

He must be talking about Spirorbis spp. (the 2-4mm white spots that proliferate all over the glass). I've read they reproduce when there's an excess of waste. They're not harmful, just not good looking. Envoyé de mon SM-N900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk
  4. Akvaristu

24 hours after the water change with Reef Crystals, the water is crystal clear (pun intended) as opposed to a bit of cloudiness with Instant Ocean Basic. However, the anemone was hidden again and the skimmer cup was full (in 1 day!). I'll keep you updated.
  5. Akvaristu

I doubt it's Dinoflagellates if I compare with photos from Google. Now, it's a more like a green moss algae that is taking over. I also observed a piece of bubble algae. Next water change I'll use another salt mix. I have no choice but eliminating one variable at a time to finally find the...
  6. Akvaristu

Etienne's RSM 130

6th month update. I've got a lot of algae problems coming from the water I use for my water changes. Another thread was created on the forum about it. I'll try to investigate and isolate the culprit (over time). I caught the emerald crab, this morning, being cleaned by his buddy the snail .
  7. Akvaristu

Little update: As I said in my last messages, I did a water change last weekend of about 10%. The following day, algaes were blooming again. So, the problem is in the new water I put in the aquarium every week. Could the salt (Instant Ocean) be the culprit? Or my RO/DI filters? I am...
  8. Akvaristu

As soon as I got home, I glued the vermetid's tube. I was surprised how hard this thing was! If I were a coral, I'd be irritated too!
  9. Akvaristu

For those who were interested, I Identified the thing that was growing on the side of my torch coral. It's a vermetid and I'll remove it ASAP. It seems to irritate the coral.
  10. Akvaristu

Honestly I never analyzed Magnesium, Alkalinity and Calcium levels. I thought the regular addition of salt would keep those parameters stable. I guess I'll need to pull the trigger and buy a "master" test kit of some reputed brand to get to the bottom of this water problem.
  11. Akvaristu

I've stopped doing water change for 2 weeks... everybody in the tank seems to be doing better. Since the beginning of this water problem, I only lost my flower pot coral. The torch coral started to reopen this morning and show its bright colors. Algae is still growing crazy fast. I scrape front...
  12. Akvaristu

Good afternoon, So, I got a (not expected) detailed reply from my city water department. They measured low levels of Chloramines (0.2 ppm) which I guess is removed, for the most part, by the RODI. To be continued...
  13. Akvaristu

Yes sure, as of my observations (test results), the tank already completed its initial cycle a few months ago. Maybe I was too generous on the feeding so accumulated waste turned into ammonia, then into Nitrites.
  14. Akvaristu

I searched a lot before posting but couldn't find a specific answer to the acceptable level of Nitrites and Nitrates. Some say that it's poisonous; others that's not really harmful (for fish, softies and LPS) Corals are acting strange but there's also the algae bloom. I must scrape the glass...
  15. Akvaristu

Yes hopefully! I want to understand what's going on but there are so many factors to evaluate. The tank was started in July 2015, so about 5 months ago. The RBTA was open tonight, maybe a good sign. I'll keep with frequent water changes. Thanks!
  16. Akvaristu

Thanks for your replies (and sorry for the delay, the forum was down yesterday). I've sent an email to my city administration, maybe they can give me more information about our water quality. I'll purchase an Ammonia test kit for saltwater. Do you suggest a particular brand? Meanwhile, I...
  17. Akvaristu

I removed the carbon yesterday to be sure it was not releasing waste. I don't have any other filtration media. Should I add polywhool to remove solid waste and change it everyday? I do have a fairly new RO/DI unit. I measured 0 ppm with my TDS meter but unfortunately I don't know if the tap...
  18. Akvaristu

Hello RS, Two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my tank with new lights (replaced one fluorescent of my RSM 130), new pumps (eheim 600), skimmer (Tunze 9001)and added carbon (Fluval activated carbon) . Since then, I observed strange behaviour of my RBTA and many corals. The anemone hide for few...
  19. Akvaristu

Welcoming New People

I agree! That's why I signed up myself on RS. :winky: That and the unique RSM Club.
  20. Akvaristu

Brainstorming : New product and tool ideas

Just for fun, do you have in mind ingenious ideas that you would like to share with us about novelty products and new tools that could help aquarium hobbyists? Things you discovered recently or to be invented! So, what are we missing? :biggrin3: I'll start first with: A power strip with...