Search results

1. E

How loud is your c130 skimmer?

Well, I answered my own question here. Even though the c130 skimmer comes with a built in "silencer" for the air intake, I ran the air hose directly from the pump into a DIY pill bottle silencer. The result - DRAMATIC improvement. I can barely hear the skimmer running up close now and...
  2. E

How loud is your c130 skimmer?

I've had my c130 for almost two years and my skimmer works fine. For some reason I uncovered some YouTube videos tonight where the stock skimmers on these tanks were nearly inaudible. Is this normal? My skimmer has always had a rather loud, "bubbly" noise. It can easily be heard from 2 or 3...
  3. E

Looking for help ridding algae...

thanks for all the suggestion. After thinking about it more I ordered an MP10 that will dramatically improve flow (primarily to help coral growth) and an upgrading to Steve's LED's. I need to get a few more members of my CUC as it's been a while since i've refreshed. Can anyone ID what type...
  4. E

Thanks for the ideas. After thinking about it more and fooling around tonight I noticed that the flow from both my return and my cheapo wavemaker was very light. I think that may be the issue. I just overed an vortech - we'll see if that helps!
  5. E

Thanks for the ideas! My Phos always show up at 0 on my API kit but I know that doesn't mean much. I run my lights from 1p-8p every day. The tank is in a room that has 2 windows although the directy sunlight never hits the tank (plus I had the tank in teh same room for a year without the...
  6. E

Hi everyone - I appreciate your help in advance as I'm completely out of ideas on what to do here. I've have my reef tank (RSM 34g) up and running for almost 2 years now. For the first 12-14 months everything went great. Good coral growth, all fish and inhabitants were happy. For the last...
  7. E

Help Troubleshooting 18 mo Old Tank

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions as I've run out of ideas... My tank (RSM C130 - 34 gallon) has been up for about 18 months. Overall everything has been very smooth since the beginning. I have a variety of coral and livestock as you'll see below but over the last 4-5 months I've...
  8. E

2.0 - Another RSM C130 Build Thread

Hello all. Been a while since I've updated so I thought I'd share a pic of my tank almost 9 months in. I've been through a few algae outbreaks, had a couple of fish that weren't the didn't work out, but all in all, a lot of great progress. At this point I have a Coral Beauty, Perc Clown...
  9. E

Month 2.5 Update: Tank has been maturing nicely. a few weeks ago I added the Wellso and Duncan that you can see below and they've been doing great (the Wellso is a little retracted in this photo because I had recently done a WC). Also, the Cardinal was introduced and fit right in. My minor...
  10. E

Day 36: Livestock! Big week, added 2 clowns and a yellow leather on Tuesday. Unfortunately, one of the clowns (he was much, much smaller and I never should have bought him) died a little over 24hrs after being introduced. I think it was a combination of the bigger one beating him up along...
  11. E

Roo's Rad Reef - RSM C-130 Build

I had a 55g tank years ago that I started with declorinated tap water and battled massive amounts of algae for the life of the system... On my new 130 I bought a BRS RO/DI unit and even 31 days in the results aren't even comparable... I would fully recommend the investment. In fairness, my...
  12. E

Max C-130 Skimmer Help

The valve closed would cut off air to the skimmer thus negating it's purpose. I used the valve for two weeks or so, starting with the valve mostly closed and opening it slightly every couple days. Then I pulled it off and followed the instructions above - been running great ever since...
  13. E

I do but I also run the cooling fans full time. Without them the temp will climb pretty high with the skimmer running. I was shocked at the amount of water that evaporated too. When I filled it back up it was probably 4-5 gallons. I haven't had that much evac in one week since I've owned...
  14. E

Day 31 Update: I was out of town for the last week over the holiday. When I returned I was disturbed to find the main return pump running dry and the DT water level down about 5 inches! Turns out the hose on my ATO disconnected from the pump and I didn't run any top off water for the whole...
  15. E

Apex Probes in RSM 130 Sump?

Anyone have any pics/experience with mounting Apex probes in the sump for the C130? I am running everything stock but also have a Tunze 3155 already mounted in the sump so space is tight. Looking for any/all ideas. Thanks!
  16. E

Day 17 and the diatoms showed up! Luckily the first half of my CUC arrived from Reefcleaners just in time to handle the task! 2-3 more weeks and if all goes well we'll be adding a couple clowns and my first (ever) coral...
  17. E

15 days in and we're cruising along perfectly! All my levels are perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 NO2, 0 NO3. Looks like with all the live matter in the tank the cycle flew by in only about 9 days. I have been 'ghost feeding' for the last 2 weeks and continuing to check parameters - all is perfect...
  18. E

Also, you can see where I currently have my wp-10. I've seen the videos with people moving these closer to the surface and adjusting the frequency to get a wave moving on the surface. Is that ideal? I have my return pump point at the top center to disrupt and oxygenate the surface. Is that...
  19. E

Day 6, ammonia still around 1-2ppm and Nitrites are rising. I thought the ammonia would have gotten higher but it seems I'm now into the Nitrite phase? I threw in 2 shrimp - one has completely disintegrated, the other is close. Here is a good shot of the moonlights. I've read that some...
  20. E

Day 3 and we're looking much better! I played with the aquascape a few times, which stirred up the sand all over again, but I think I'm finally happy. I wanted to create an arch design and have multiple levels to put corals of various light requirements. Amonia levels are current...