Search results

1. Paul Taylor

Big problem with Salinity

I have a supply of distilled water that I bought for something other than the aquarium. Just out of interest I tested it and found it was full of silicates (over 6ppm). Also, due to my experiences with the LFS' supply of RO water the thing I have learned is: :ofr: "Trust No One"...
  2. Paul Taylor

Silicates in RO Water?

You know, I kind of assumed when I was getting 'RO water' from the LFS, it was actually a short version of 'RO/DI water' and I though that was what I was getting! I guess the old saying about 'assume' applies here. Will still discuss it with LFS though as they have some fine looking tanks...
  3. Paul Taylor

Silicates in RO Water?

Thanks Goma, I have just been watching some of the BRS videos on RO/DI. Watched so many before I started setting up the tank I'd forgotten most of it.
  4. Paul Taylor

Silicates in RO Water?

I will look into the option of my own unit further, but I'll still raise the issue with the LFS tomorrow and get their water re-tested in any case. Thanks for your help Luukosian. :-)
  5. Paul Taylor

Silicates in RO Water?

I originally started using their RO water for my freshwater tank when I figured out that our local tap water was very high in Nitrates (and presumably phosphates and lord knows what else) so my water changes were topping up not diluting! So my main concern for their water at the time was for...
  6. Paul Taylor

Silicates in RO Water?

Hi all, My tank is in the early stages (just over two months running, it is cycled, and now has only 2 clownfish) and a diatom outbreak started within a week of adding the fish. This is normal I understand and I resolved to be patient and wait for the diatom's food source (silicates) to be...
  7. Paul Taylor

Paul's New tank: Fluval Sea Reef M90, 135L -

I have the Fluval M60 and yep, the skimmer is by far the noisiest thing in the whole set up. Just make sure it's firmly attached and the cup/lid is fitted snuggly, this reduces the noise (a bit but not much). My wife hasn't complained but then she loves the two Clownfish we have in the tank...
  8. Paul Taylor

Mayja's 90 Gallon Reef Experience

Well I should have been starting my own reef chronicle tonight but I've spent the last few hours reading the highs and lows of your tank progress, Mayja. It's been a great read, thank you for sharing your experiences! (It's 2am now, I ought to go to bed!)
  9. Paul Taylor

Aiptasia: taking care of business

Good news on finding the shrimp! :-) I mysteriously lost a tropical fish once, just disappeared, no evidence of a death. Three weeks later he mysteriously reappeared when I took out the internal filter and replaced it with an external one... he must have somehow jumped over the top into...
  10. Paul Taylor

My 6 gallon Fluval Edge build

Cool. Looks good :olsmile:
  11. Paul Taylor

Hello!

Thanks sirrealism. I have LEDs but can't adjust the brightness, just white, night time blue or OFF. I can adjust the on/off timer though and reduce the hours. I will upgrade the lighting to something more controllable in the future though. GHA? No thanks! .... I've had enough problems...
  12. Paul Taylor

Hello!

Thanks all for the welcome. Some pics... When the Clowns first went in: A week later diatom city!:
  13. Paul Taylor

Hello!

nanoreefing4fun mentioned starting a new tank thread, where is the most appropriate place to put that?
  14. Paul Taylor

Hello!

Thanks Snid. There's so much conflicting advice out there! I just wasn't expecting it to get so bad so quickly.
  15. Paul Taylor

My 6 gallon Fluval Edge build

Fluval Edge is a tropical tank, right? If so, I am wondering how have you adapted it?
  16. Paul Taylor

Hello!

Thanks for the welcome. I do have a question on diatoms. I had some diatoms appear during the cycling but not much and it didn't last long, since adding the fish there has been a major outbreak. I've added snails this week and they seem to be munching through it (one has cleaned up the...
  17. Paul Taylor

Hello!

Hi everyone :hallo: I've stumbled across this forum a quite a few times with google searches on various questions I've had regarding reefing and saltwater fish keeping, so I thought I'd join as it seems a good source of info! I've just this week added a pair of Ocellaris clownfish to my...