Search results

1. DaveR11

Mesh or Felt Filters for Max S ?

The felt ones are difficult/impossible to get completely clean. I went over to the Red Sea 225 micron and they clean up in a few minutes but I too am seeing detritus in the sump. Not tried the 100 micron ones yet....
  2. DaveR11

Additional Auto Top Off for Max S Series

My 650 loses on average 3.85 litres per day (over the 15 months I've had the tank - I have recorded the amount I top up each time). Since I've had the LEDs this has dropped slightly (3.80 L per day against 3.88L per day with the T5s) but the biggest influence is the weather / time of year. The...
  3. DaveR11

Red Sea S-650 - Dave's marine adventure

Cheers Shaun. With aquarium lights and LED in particular it can be really difficult to get the white balance right so my suggestion would be to shoot RAW rather than JPEG with your SLR and then adjust to give the right colour to your shots later when you edit the pictures in what ever software...
  4. DaveR11

Thanks Dom! The fish are fine and I seem to have beaten the Zoanthid slugs with the Zoas looking much better (now there is tempting fate....). The montipora slugs are still at large and are really decimating the Montis. It seems like I might have to frag the remaining bits and quarantine them....
  5. DaveR11

It has been a while since the last update. So here goes. All the fish are fine. One of the Anthias is getting bigger than the others and has developed a longer front section to its dorsal fin so I'm wondering if she will change sex to a male. The gobies don't seem to be permanently...
  6. DaveR11

System Water Volume Calculation?

I reckon on 550 litres for mine
  7. DaveR11

Seth's RSM 500

Awesome!
  8. DaveR11

System Water Volume Calculation?

Unless you know the density of a material there is no way of relating mass and volume. A cubic meter of polystyrene will have a mass significantly less than a cubic meter of water and both will have a significantly lower mass than the same volume of lead. You could only approximate the...
  9. DaveR11

Hi Shaun, The Wheeler's shrimp gobies are great but they don't sift through the sand like your diamond goby did so they won't keep your sand clean. The pistol shrimps that Wheeler's are symbiotic with do all the digging for the gobies. The shrimps aren't sorting through the sand just digging...
  10. DaveR11

Red Sea 225 Mesh Filters

I just wash mine with a shower head. Gets them nice and clean and they are so much easier to clean than the 'felt' type ones I previously used which were impossible to get completely clean.
  11. DaveR11

Hot gossip in the tank this week. New goby has moved in with Mr Grumpy! Since I introduced the second Wheeler's Shrimp goby I've seen Mr Grumpy occasionally leave the left hand side of the tank where he had set up home with Clint the pistol shrimp and spend a few minutes over on the right side...
  12. DaveR11

Third Times a Charm?

Hi Pat, Regarding the blue pics - three options: Either only have the white lighting on in the tank Or if your camera can shoot RAW rather than JPEG images you can adjust the white balance after you have taken the pictures using the appropriate software (I use Adobe Lightroom) Or if your...
  13. DaveR11

As ever Sue top quality reading for me to get on with!
  14. DaveR11

Third Times a Charm?

I'm in the same boat Pat. I lost my first one to pyramid snails and pinched mantle disease. The second one was really small and I gather they are more difficult to keep. Now I have the copperband I wonder if another would become an expensive dinner for my lovely, quirky characterful CBB....
  15. DaveR11

Hi @Oxylebius thanks for the heads up on this and as ever great links. I had always wondered why the fish looked different but had put it down to surviving Ich. Here is a picture of the fish soon after it was introduced into the tank and before the Ich outbreak. Here is the same fish after...
  16. DaveR11

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear about the crash. A power cut gives me sleepless nights. I've had a couple of short (4 hour) outages here since I set up the tank. I do wonder about getting a small petrol generator or borrowing the one we have at work (but that needs fixing at the moment). Best of...
  17. DaveR11

Hi Shaun, The chiller keeps my temperature nice and stable but does warm the house up. I run an algae refugium in the left side of my sump so I actually put some coral sand and small bits of rock in there for the Caulerpa to attach to. I have got a bit of sand in the return pump section...
  18. DaveR11

It has been a week of maintenance and getting jobs done I've been procrastinating over. Did a bigger than usual water change this week and got the dosing pump going again as carbonate levels had dropped too low and some of the corals were not looking to happy. I also cleaned the pump and...