Search results

1. S

Complete Crash Recovery

I recently went out of town for a week. Naturally, I had asked my wife to feed the fish and keep an eye on things. Long Story short, I get a call from my wife (May 3) as I'm heading to the airport to fly home with her frantically saying "The lights are off and the pumps aren't turning on the...
  2. S

2 Month Blues

Got back from the LFS and water tested perfectly there. They came up with Gravity 1.023 (My refractometer is now calibrated as well). pH - 8.1, NH3 - 0, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 0. I did pick up a few more smaller pieces of fully cured live rock to build a more complete back wall for filtration.
  3. S

2 Month Blues

Hmmmm. I've had the same amount of rock in the tank since day 1. Perhaps I should investigate adding some fully cured live rock from the LFS? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  4. S

2 Month Blues

I have the perfect spot for it. In twelve months I will look back at it with my well established inhabitants overgorwing the bones of the dead; and I will be continuously humbled by my past failures.
  5. S

2 Month Blues

I have test kits for both individually. I used a saltwater test kit for both aquariums for the side by side in the hopes that I'd be able to distinguish a color difference, even if slight, to help indicate if the SW as at or above 0. I KNOW the freshwater was at zero, and it's color matched...
  6. S

2 Month Blues

I started the tank with 20lb Live Rock, 20lb Base Rock for a total of 40 lbs of total rock. Almost all of the base rock is now showing varying degrees of coraline growth. Do I explicitly need to have 40lbs of "Live Rock", or is my approach adequate?
  7. S

2 Month Blues

I've got a fairly well established freshwater aquarium at home, and I did a side by side nitrite test. There is definitely a reading on the saltwater wheares the freshwater is distinctly 0. It's not .25ppm blue, but it's also not 0.0.
  8. S

2 Month Blues

Thanks everyone for the replies I just completed an algae scrub and 20% water change. I rinsed out the filter pads and added a sizeable carbon bag for water to filter thorugh. I'll let the water circulate and retest. Ultimately, it may just be how I'm reading the API test. The colors on...
  9. S

2 Month Blues

Tank has been going strong for the first two months. Things were happy, I was happy... Then I got impatient. I started aggressively stocking some livestock and corals and have gotten hit with what I hope are some simple rookie mistakes and "crap everyone goes through" vs. having a serious...
  10. S

Help Optimizing Filtration

The problem I'm finding with the skimmer is the vertical clearance is between 5-6" above the tank. That rules out almost every HoB option and forces me to look at the few in-tank options. So far it's the RO BH50 or the Hydor Slim Skim. Thanks for the input on the filter. It definitely helps. I...
  11. S

Help Optimizing Filtration

I'm closing in on 2 months of having a 40 Gallon saltwater tank up and running. My parameters have been consistently good. You can see my latest parameters and stock list here and want to get a quick health check from folks that have been doing this longer than I have. I currently have...
  12. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

Moved the Zoa back to the substrate on the lower left... May need to move him again as a Margarita, a blue leg hermit, and a Halloween Hermit have claimed it. Granted, all hair algae that was on the Zoa is now pretty much gone... On the downside, they also aren't opening. All rockwork moved...
  13. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I rearranged my rockwork this week. Everything was partying in the back of the tank behind the live rock, so I adjusted the structure to back up to the back of the glass and into a corner. My clowns are now happily swimming around the front of the tank in full view. I also picked up a Royal...
  14. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I just have a simple needle hydrometer at the moment. I'm SLOWLY raising Salinity on my Friday water changes and top offs. I was at 1.022 2 weeks ago and my end goal is 1.026. At what rate can I increase? Faster than. 005/week?
  15. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I've made a few more modifications to my tank this week, and things are going better than expected (with the exception of a certain mushroom that is still pissed off). Params Gravity - 1.023 pH - 8.1 Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 0-5 Calcium - 380 Phosphates - 0 The Tank I...
  16. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I noticed my corals trying to acclimate themselves this week. The mushrooms seem to be having a harder time than any others, and after some adjustments to lighting, flow, and location have finally started to open back up. The GSP has been just as happy as day one. The Zoas are hit or miss. I...
  17. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I had a pump snap 2 days ago (Aqueon 500). The ball socket just popped right off. Ordered a pair of Hydor Koralia 425's which just arrived today and will get in the tank tonight. I also had a second Margarita snail commit suicide. They don't seem too intelligent, and keep getting wedged in...
  18. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

Current plan is 10% weekly, but I'll be monitoring my params very closely now that I've added the CUC.
  19. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I managed to complete a small cleanup crew today. So far, the stock list is: 1 @ Peppermint Shrimp 3 @ Nassarius Snail 2 @ Nerite Snail 3 @ Margarita Snail While at the LFS, I also couldn't resist a Watermelon Mushroom Frag with @ 15 Polyps on it. The color stood out from everything...
  20. S

A Newbie's 40G Breeder

I've got a handwritten journal in which I'm tracking my params, dates things are added, etc. I'll continue to update this thread as I add items/grow the tank/come acrss notable events/etc. The params are quite boring and better left to Google Docs for tracking :-).