Search results

1. K

drain to sump sounds like a toilet flushing

I just changed my 120 gal reef tank to fresh water. I am still using the 40 gal sump tank for filtration and one of the 2 towers with the drain sounds like a toilet flushing. I haven't been able to get it to stop. The tank is drilled and has a drain and a return on each side. Any ideas what can...
  2. K

saltwater reef to freshwater--filtration?

I'm going to convert my 120 gal. reef tank to freshwater. I have a 40 gal. refugium tank under the display tank. I would like some suggestions for the best filtration with this set up. The display tank is pre-drilled and right now I am using 2 Rio 20HF pumps for the return, aprx. 870 gal per hr...
  3. K

I have a large PH drop from high CO2, can you help?

I recently put in a gas log fire place and when I used it the other night the next morning my PH had dropped from 8.3 to 7.6. The ideas I have gotten to fix the problem were to either open a window (not an option), drip lime water,(had rather not), or run an airline from my skimmer intake to...
  4. K

Help, another NEW problem !!

Ok here's what happened. I just put in a new propane gas log fireplace, everything else in the house is electric. I ran it some the other night and you guessed it my ph droped from 8.3 to 7.7 didn't figure out what happened for a while then researched it .Ran an air stone with outside air in a...
  5. K

New hermits and snails

Is it necessary to aclimate hermits and snails like you do fish. When they are mail ordered. Thanks, Ken
  6. K

skimmer question

In the last week or so my skimmer has started collection half a cup or so a day of very pale green liquid. Before it was collecting 3/4 cup of very dark tea colored liquid a week. The skimmer is a Euro-Reef and it is in a 40 gal fuge under a 120 gal, fairley light loaded reef tank. Is this...
  7. K

would like advise

I have a 120gal reef with a 40 fuge the mag 18 I have been using for return is getting weak. I would like some ideas on the best pump to use submersible. I would perfer 2 pumps so if one stops I won't loose flow completely. I have limited space without re-doing something (4.5 in. X 7.5 in) foot...
  8. K

question about water change

I don't guess I have ever checked the water I'm using to change with to see if it matches the water in the tank, except for the salt and th temp of course. I did today and what a difference. Here's what's in the tank. Ph=8.2 salt+ 1.026 dKH=10.2 ca++=420 mag+1440 Here's what the change...
  9. K

desolved salt??

Had been using IO salt to start with but didn't like the ca and mag quality. switched to reef crystals, not much better if any. was mixing the 2 together to use it up the last 2 or 3 times. no problems. This time I can't get it to desolve. there are tiny white specks all in it and a dusting on...
  10. K

quick question?

What is the purpose of letting kaulkwasser set for a few hours befor you start to drip it into the tank? Thanks, Ken
  11. K

Alittle Confused

I have a 120gl reef tank with a 40gl fuge, light animal load, just started dripping kalkwasser to refill from evaporation. Everything has been very steady for the last 9 months or so.Ph running about 8.2 to 8.3. Everything else normal also. Had to keep adding Ca++ and Mag. but other than that...
  12. K

Skimming Question

Could use a little advise: Here's what I have: just redone 2 months ago 125gl all glass tank reef setup 40gl sump with fuge 160lb live rock 4in dsb in tank 5in in sump oolic sand 2-5ft white vho 2-5ft actinic blue vho run 10hrs a day moon light runs 4 hrs regular 2ft floresent in...
  13. K

Do or Don't

I've heard over and over if you can't measure it don't put it in your reef tank. The guy at the lfs said I should add 15ml of Kent's Super Chelated Iron because I have a small hand full of seaweed in the fuge, and the same of Strontium & Molybdenum twice a week. I don't have any way to measure...
  14. K

Ok What's Next?

Some of you have been following some of my posts since "Starting Over" especially, Lynn, Boomer D and Steve. Your help, advice and incouragement has been extreamely helpfull. I have taken down an old 110gal fresh water conversion with major problems one of the worst being nitrates off the...
  15. K

Just Wondering

I see all these beautiful tanks with rock and coral all the way to the top of the tank, how do you do a water change and not leave the ones on the top exposed to the air? Ken
  16. K

Low Magnesium

I have a newly re-set up 125gal with 40gal sump and fuge, nothing in the fuge yet except 5in of new oolic sand. 160 lb live rock 4 in new oolic sand in tank 5 in. in fuge very light load 2-60 in actinic white vho 2-60 in. blue vho all 4 fairley new running about 7hrs a day due to an...
  17. K

Starting over part 2

Well I did it! Not exactly like I had planned but it's just about a done deal. Went by the lfs, ended up trading my old fresh water 110 gal for a 125 reef ready tank $$$, same foot print so it fit my stand. I had to do a little customising underneath for a used 40gal fresh water tank I got to...
  18. K

Need skimmer and overflow advice

Hey guys, I've been doing some shopping for a skimmer, the SeaClone has got to go. I've been looking at a LifeReef s2-24 and a AquaC ev-180 they are pretty close in price but work completely different. Is one of those better than the other? Any one had any experiance with either? Are there...
  19. K

Starting over

Ok i've had it. The algae wins. I'm going to take the whole thing down and start over without a plenium and bio balls. I have a 110 gal with 160lbs live rock. I would like opinions from you experienced reefers what you think the best sand bed is, how deep it should be and any tips you might...
  20. K

Suck starting my tank, uch!!!

As most of you know I'm been having quite a bit of trouble clearing the nitrates from my 1 year old 110gal reef. It is however starting to come around some. Been doing quit a few water changes and when I take off about 20 to 24gal. my u-tubes looses siphon. The only way I know to get it going...