Search results

1. S

Electricity

Thanks for your replies, I guess it was stupid of me to put 240V through me, but really my question was has anyone else seen fish deaths through electric current, it's kind of strange because only half of my fish died.
  2. S

Electricity

My fish have been disappearing over the last month and I couldn't figure out why, my parameters were perfect and still are. Anyway I went on holiday ten days ago and when I came back the person looking after my aquarium reported getting electric shocks off it, I have never had this, but then...
  3. S

Need some help

Yes, they mainly come out at night, when you turn your lights on in the morning you have a good chance of seeing them go back into the rocks. Incidentally the lights on in the morning is a great time to see the life in your reef, it's quite amazing what you see scurrying back into their hidey...
  4. S

coral banded shrimp molted- Need Help

Definitely not. I always leave the molts in the tank and have never seen a spike because of it.
  5. S

Stocking a 10 gallon nano

Don't get a damsel, they are extremely aggressive. Grats on the hitch hiker :) Most bristle worms are harmless and good CUC members.
  6. S

mandarin food question

See my reply at http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/85820-brine-shrimp-question-2.html
  7. S

brine shrimp question

OK, the facts on adult brine shrimp versus newborn: Adult: Protein 56.4 Lipid 11.8 Carbohydrate 12.1 Ash 17.4 New Born: Protein 52.2 Lipid 18.9 Carbohydrate 14.8 Ash 9.7 Source: Leger et al 1986 Not a great deal of difference wouldn't you say? I believe that...
  8. S

Good or Bad Algae on Acan

Hmm, tricky as it is so small, if it is red gracillaria (which I think it may be). It is great food for vegetarian fish. So if you have any it will be eaten in hours. It does grow fast though
  9. S

Can anyone ID this Algae on my Coral

Yes, looks like it. I would personally try to remove as much as I can manually as your current fish won't eat it. It doesn't look bad though, some hermit crabs and many snails will eat hair algae, so your tiny CUC may finish the job for you.
  10. S

My reef!

Hi ACRAS, welcome to RS. Do you have any livestock apart from corals yet?
  11. S

Is there any chance mixing Clownfish can get along in a 100 gal tank?

I have never had problems with mixing clownfish, although I have heard that tomatos can be aggressive to other clown species. I have had problems with damsels though, when they get bigger they can be real terrors.
  12. S

Is seahorse and mandarin a good mix

100% I'd go for it
  13. S

Toadstool placement

In answer to slfcaptain: No, it's an SPS, (my first BTW). Rufus: I don't use carbon, my filtration is all natural, I have a protein skimmer and live rock, and that's about it. I believe I have a great CUC. made up of conches, hermit crabs, shrimps and snails. My nitrates are never zero which is...
  14. S

Getting Perppermint shrimp to eat aiptasia

I have a filefish which does the job nicely, but I believe that not all filefish will eat aptasia, just as not all peppermint shrimp will.
  15. S

Toadstool placement

Hi Rufus, I'd heard the same, that they can wage chemical warfare. I've not had any problem with the toadstools, they've grown really fast. I had the BTA first, bought about 6 months ago at a size of approx 2 inches across, and introduced the toadstools in November for the bottom one, and...
  16. S

Toadstool placement

Here is the new coral, bought it, quick dip in freshwater and into the DT. It opened in minutes
  17. S

Is seahorse and mandarin a good mix

I have a mandarin, but haven't kept seahorses. My mandarin will look at the tiniest speck of food, have a think about it then take a peck. He browses the rocks and never eats free swiming food, I don't think he'd be fast enough to catch it. As far as I understand it seahorses eat free swimming...
  18. S

Stiing up a 57 gallon Bluespot Jawfish Reef Tank

Looks like you have your pic. posting rights now :) A lot of people do the egg crate thing, I haven't at the moment, but when I upgrade (again) I think I'll do the same. It's funny but there always seems to be something that you wish you'd done but didn't AFTER setting up a tank. Looks like a...
  19. S

Stiing up a 57 gallon Bluespot Jawfish Reef Tank

Hi Adam, and welcome to RS. You have to have 5 posts before you can post pics. Then your first pic. has to be approved by a moderator. I think it's to stop people spamming. It doesn't take long for the approval though. I haven't ever kept a jawfish, but in my experience fish tend to do exactly...
  20. S

Toadstool placement

Actually while I'm posting pics. Here's one of the whole tank. Hmm, when I see this pic. I can see that the coralline algae has taken over a bit, maybe I need a few more corals to brighten it up a bit. The anemones used to be one, but it split into 2. It's a great excuse to go to the LFS :)