Search results

1. L

Sad sad... we need the tang police

I stopped by a local chain pet store the other day - Petco if it must be said. They had some 20 gallon tanks... one of them had 3 or 4 yellow tangs in it. It made me so sad.
  2. L

getting coraline algae started

My coralline is also coming in slowly - my tank has been up for about 2 months. I know what the problem is with mine though... my hermits love to eat it as fast as it grows :/
  3. L

Just Coral

I received an order yesterday from JustCoral.com. I got two zoo colonies, one star polyps and a frogspawn. They arrived wonderfully packaged and I'm very happy with what I received. The zoos are exactly as pictured and the other two are large, healthy corals. They are all fully opened and...
  4. L

Gobies changing colors?

Ahh this is all good news. It freaked me out a bit since my gramma and firefish don't seem to do this at all. Thanks! Laura
  5. L

Gobies changing colors?

I checked Reefpedia, but didn't see anything about this... Do gobies have the ability to change color to match their surroundings? I ask because my black clown goby in quarantine looks grey in the evening, but black during the day. It's quite odd. Thanks, Laura
  6. L

Anyone bought from Aquatic Connection?

Well the web site security certificate issues coupled with the lack of resounding endorsements here managed to scare me off from Aquatic Connection. I loved their selection, but found many of the things I wanted at JustCoral.com, in fact they had some interesting stuff that I just couldn't...
  7. L

Anyone bought from Aquatic Connection?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these guys? http://www.aquacon.com/index.html Their web site's security certificate is making my browser warn me about them, and when I call it sounds like one person posing as three departments at a company.
  8. L

Calcium / Alk supplements question

Okay I'll give that a try. Thanks!
  9. L

nano cube 24 - what kinda skimmer?

A CPR BakPak 2R - I ended up replacing it with a HOB refugium with built-in skimmer from the same company. I really do like them - I get quite a bit of nasty skimmer stuff in the collection cup. Only down side is they are not quiet.
  10. L

Hey everyone... I took your wonderful advice and checked my Magnesium - it was low. I supplemented daily until I got around 1350 ppm, then went back to trying to get my calcium/ alkalinity in "the zone". I also switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef formula salt - I did my first 10% water change...
  11. L

It's going to take more than a tall glass and a piece of shrimp

If that doesn't amaze you, this will. Watch an octopus squeeze through a quarter-sized opening. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/octopus/media_players_blue/squeeze_hi.html
  12. L

What is this white goo?

I'm not sure I'm up to anymore surprises just now. I think it's time to get out the algae scraper.
  13. L

I absolutely loved this one, but it really is the stuff of nightmares.
  14. L

The Seattle aquarium was having a problem with a rogue in their shark tank. They caught it being naughty on film. The very squeamish might find this disturbing. Probably not child-okay (scary). http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7004909622962894202
  15. L

Okay got my quantities from the calculator. Would I not be in this position if I had used a better salt? I started out with Instant Ocean (didn't know any better), then switched to Oceanic. Should I be using Reef Crystals? Would doing so minimize the amount of supplementation I need to be...
  16. L

What is this white goo?

Yes, it came out of the live rock like it was being squirted out of a syringe. The strands are thicker than a hair but thinner than a string of yarn. I can't believe how many surprises my live rock has held in store for me... first mushrooms, then a slug, then a crab, now a syringe of...
  17. L

Okay I got my Mg test kit, and it is low - like 1120 ppm. I'm using Kent's Mg supplement to raise it up before I worry too much about my Ca/Alkalinity being out of "the zone". Thanks everyone!
  18. L

What is this white goo?

Last night, after the MHs were off and I was walking by the tank, I saw a stream of goo coming out of the live rock. It stuck to the glass. Here it is. It's not moving, but... what IS that? Laura
  19. L

How to trap a crab?

I haven't had much luck finding a pic of him, but I do know he has dark claw tips, which is apparently a bad sign. I've decided he must go. Now I just have to figure out how. I have a feeling LFS won't want him, but I'll ask them! Thanks for all the help.
  20. L

Sunpod 70W MH fixture for Aquapod 24 or other nano

Yep, eggcrate is da bomb. I think I got the idea from one of your posts actually!