Search results

1. T

What the.....

I purchased this clam from my LRS a little while back. It has done some really great growing (had the mantel retract to take the picture). However, I noticed what looked like eggs on the side of the clam and didn't think to muc hof it at that time. A couple of days ago I noted what you will...
  2. T

Yellow Clown Goby colour fading?

We have had our yellow clown goby for about 2 months now, he has become quite "gurthy", especially since he is the only fish in the tank at this point with several types of macro 37g column. we have noticed that he goes from a magnificant yellow to a dull yellow - almost clearish yellow - but...
  3. T

Picasso Trigger question

I have done a fair bit of reading on this fish and before purchasing, would like to ask a couple of questions: 1. What would be a good tank mate for this fish (I noticed that there seems to be a big differance in what people have) 2. Clean up crew - some say crabs are good, some say they...
  4. T

"worm" ID

The other night I was feeding my tank and while I was sitting there I kept seeing something move very quickly out of the corner of my eye. I looked in the area and stayed very still. At that point I saw what looked like a green caterpillar coming out of the rock trying to go for a piece of...
  5. T

ID - to make sure he's a good guy!

This guy came in on some rock that we got for my SH tank. The rock was in a BB tank waiting for the tank to be set up. The last time I had hitchhiker sea stars - they were the green "death stars" so I just want a confirmation that this guy is ok. He'd be going in our FOWL tank.
  6. T

Koralia question

Right now I have a 90g FOWLR tank. Just for now we have a 900 and 1200 MJ, along with a 405 fluval - these are positioned so that there is a good circulation patter that doesn't alow for dead pockets. We would like to purchase a koralia in addition to the above MJ (eventually to add another...
  7. T

Powder Blue Tang - healthy??

Here is a pic of a friends PBT that he just got. He doesn't have access to his internet right now so asked me for opinions. Sorry the pic is blurry but this guy is a quick mover. Does he look ok? He is grazing off the LR - not too interested in Nori yet but does eat some Mysis as well.
  8. T

Anyone heard of or used this before?

Tom Rapid Mini Canister Filter C-80 I was thinking of purchasing this - not using the media - for the seahorse tank that I am getting ready. The only purpose I am considering it for is for the flow rate since my tank is 40g. Any opinions?
  9. T

It's a long shot..but.....

I know this is a stretch but could anyone tell me what kind of rock this is and is it SW safe? I am not sure if the shells on there are SW or FW? A friend got the rocki n a tank bundle that was FW but the father who sold it also had a SW tank as well so we are not sure if there just wasn't...
  10. T

clean up crew and angels

What kind of clean up crew can on put with Angels (specifically a blue ring). We are planning on having this fish in our tank (still in the planning stages) and some sites say they are ok with inverts, and most say "NO". I have even found one site (don't remember what one) that says they are...
  11. T

Best dry base rock?

what is the best "type" of dry base rock. I have just read a webpage that said Lava rock is a good coraline grower. What about lace rock or other types?
  12. T

Coraline removal not using scraper???

Is there a product that is out there that will inhibit coraline growth? Our tank has a tremendous amount of coraline on it and while I know that some prefer this (it is nice), with arthritic hands it can become very painfull after the first couple of minutes.
  13. T

Safest way to remove a clam

We are going to be downsizing our tank and that means that we won't be able to keep the clams that we have. The Crocea's have attached themselves to the rock and in case someone doesn't want to take the rock as well what is the safest way to remove them...ex agitating the foot etc.
  14. T

calcium question

My calcium is sitting at 400 at this point. I know that this is within the safe range, but should I start thinking about adding to it. We don't have a sump/fuge so we do water changes changes every two week (10g out of 72g). And, what would be the best way to add calcium without a reactor?
  15. T

Question about Emperor Anglefish in FO/FOWLR

We are in the planning stages of a FO or FOWLR tank (probably the FOWRL) and I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this subject? We have not yet selected a size of tank but definately 100g+. I have read that some use mechanical filtration on their tanks - is this an ok thing to...
  16. T

Shrimp ID please

This guy was caught in the net along with our newly acquired Hi Fin Red St. Shrimp Goby. As you can see he is transparent and has blue spots on him. I have looked into several possibilities but can't find anything close to this guy. He is only about 1.5 to 2 cm long and if you look one claw...
  17. T

100's of itty bitty snails

A couple of months back we bought a piece of rock from a LFS. On this rock was a turbo snail that has grown to be at least 2" in diameter. Since this time - coinsedence or not - we have hundreds of tiny white snails with the same shape shell and same markings but only the size of pin heads...
  18. T

Jumping Maxima

Ok, I know that this has been addressed before, but I just need to clarify for my own comfort: I have had this Maxima for a brief tims (couple of months) and has been in the same spot since we placed him there. The other day I woke up to find that it took the big jump into the sand, I moved...
  19. T

Question for friend

A friend of mine is looking to set up a FOWLR tank and would like to know if the ratio of g:rock is the same as it would be fore a reef tank? Or what would be considered beneficial to the fish. Excuse my ignorance, buy I only have experience with reef tanks so far.
  20. T

mantle lost a bit of colour

One of my crocea clams lost a bit of colour off the mantle. It has happened in a coupld of places on the one clam. However, I noticed today that the flourescent specks of colour are returning. I can't get a pic of it cause I would need a macro lense to pick it up. FYI - this clam is only...