Search results

1. C

Do hermit crabs eat zoas?

do you dip zoa frags also? i dipped these before putting in the tank. Could that have killed them? I used Coral Rx for 5 minutes.
  2. C

Do hermit crabs eat zoas?

I have a new reef tank cookin, up 9 months and well cycled. Parameters are perfect. I have mushroom corals, ricordeas, a large hammer coral, 2 feather dusters, all absolutely flourishing. I want to grow a bunch of zoas. I ordered a frag with 10 polyps. I could see 10 little polyps. By...
  3. C

Coralline algae! Wait a minute...

I finally have coralline algae starting in my tank! Oh happy day! Now, how do I get the darn stuff off my acrylic tank without scratching it?
  4. C

How to feed shy fish?

My tank has been up 4 months and is well cycled. Have lots of snails, hermit crabs, 2 feather dusters and one hammer coral which is doing great so far. I put my first fish in there about 4 days ago, a timid little firefish. He ate sporadically in QT, although darted into his PVC hidey-hole...
  5. C

Cant keep ammonia down in QT

I guess so, I just hate knowing that I am actually cycling my QT with live fish in it :( Once this is over and they go to DT, I am going to let the QT fully cycle, then put in a damsel permanently. I don't have a spare tank, so I think I will partition him off with eggcrate + netting material...
  6. C

I had my QT up for 2 months before I put fish in. I did use a seeded sponge from my DT, I also used Seachem Stability. maybe I let it go too long without fish and the bio filter died?
  7. C

This is my first QT. 10 gallon, only have 1 firefish and 1 royal gramma in there, small fish. Every 2-3 days the ammonia goes from almost zero (after water change) to .125 to .25. So then I panic and do a water change, 25-50% Doing water changes like that 2-3x a week is getting so old, I am...
  8. C

Microwave water ok?

I have a 5 gallon bucket I have to keep outside for water changes. The water gets frigid, and the heater cant keep up. So I nuke a quart at a time and add back in to heat up for the changes. Just starter wondering if this harms the salt somehow.
  9. C

Cupramine treatment

Is cupramine hard on the fish? I want to treat all my new fish prophylactically in my QT with 2 week cupramine treatment. Does this sound harsh to do to healthy appearing fish?
  10. C

Microwave water ok?

Once my batch of saltwater is mixed (I use instant ocean), is it okay to microwave a portion of it to warm up the batch? or does microwaving harm the saltwater in some way?
  11. C

Help! My new feather dusters are leaning over!

Is this normal? Do they have the capacity to upright themselves and strengthen their tubes so they stand straight? I just got them today, and they are my 1st critters :-) Is there anything I should do?
  12. C

My very first coral! What do you suggest?

OMG, Plantman, what a beautiful reef you put together. How long did it take? What equipment do you have? What is a frag mag? I am so anxious to make a tank like yours, but I know I have to go slow and be patient. I should be so lucky as to do what you did!!! :)
  13. C

My very first coral! What do you suggest?

Hi there, My 36 gallon bowfront has been up for 4 months now, well cycled, all numbers are perfect, have been through and gotten rid of Bryopsis, diatom and brown hair algae outbreaks, Seem to be done with the uglies. For my 1st fish, I am adding two firefish and 1 Royal Gramma. After...
  14. C

What is the best online fish supplier?

My LFS stinks. I have decided to order online. I am in Florida. I would lilke your opinion on reputable dealers you have had good results with. Important: 1. reasonable shipping (overnight of course) 2. Good quality fish, came as described, and healthy. 3. Good money-back guarantee...
  15. C

Low ph; high dKh

The basics: 36 gallon, 35lbs. live rock Coralife Lunar Aqualite (2 HO T5 10,000K 31 watt lamps, 2 Actinic blue HO T5 31 watt lamps) (total of 124 watts) DT Wavemakers: 2 Koralia 550 Evolution units Sump: 15 gallon tank with Berlin Sock holder and 4” filter Activated carbon bags Bubble...
  16. C

Need opinions on my "master fish plan"

Would welcome any advice or thoughts on my "fish plan" below: 1. Plan to quarantine each fish or pair for 2-4 weeks before adding next. 2. 36 gallon bowfront with 15 gallon sump. 3. Take has cycled, CUC eating algae. 4. Water params: Temp=78.4 SG= 1.024 pH= 8.1 Ammonia=0...
  17. C

Did I skip the ammonia spike?

Meant to post this: Day 1: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not tested yet Day 2: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not tested yet Day 3: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not tested yet Day 4: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not tested yet Day 5: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= 0.75 Day 6: ammonia= 0.25 (going down?) ; nitrites=...
  18. C

Did I skip the ammonia spike?

Ever hear of a minor or non-existent Ammonia spike before nitirite spike begins? 2 days after starting my new tank and adding a raw shrimp, I started testing. Day 1: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not tested yet Day 1: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not tested yet Day 1: ammonia= 0.5; nitrites= not...
  19. C

How long do you leave the shrimp in?

Using a raw shrimp to kick start my new tank cycling. How long do I leave the shrimp in there to rot?
  20. C

What is the quietest pump?

I have a 36 gallon bowfront I just set up and have a 15 gallon sump 2 feet under it. I bought a Supreme Classic Mag-Drive 7 (700 gph max). The flow seems just right and the price was right (69.99). But it is just too loud, I am not happy with it. I am willing to pay more (within reason) for a...