Search results

1. T

Who's the culprit?

Also, I have observed that clowns (Perculas and Ocellaris) tend to hang out at the upper corner of a tank (usually back) if they are stressed and near death. Did you observe this behavior?
  2. T

Who's the culprit?

Clowns are famous for jumping out. Check your overflow, sump and plumbing going to it. I just fished one out of my HOB overflow on Q-tank today. If not, regrettably check the floor. Or do you have a cat that would clean up the sushi? Sorry.
  3. T

Dosing pump location in my C-130

You can see the cam action here on a typical dosing pump.
  4. T

Dosing pump location in my C-130

From what I understand, most dosing pumps are peristaltic pumps. As such they are capable of rising great lengths. The biggest issue is waiting for the dosing hose to fill b4 it dumps the first time. Here is the Wiki explanation of peristaltic pumps. A peristaltic pump is a type of positive...
  5. T

Custom Aquarium.com

I wrote to Custom Aquariums for a quote on a tank I wanted special made. (240 with a glass overflow built on back)Their prices were reasonable and they build on the safe side as far as glass thickness goes. But they are very protective of the business as far as you can forget about answers to...
  6. T

Am I the only newbie?

I will add a new twist that agrees with what others are saying. I was in (deep) in the hobby for over 10 years. Even had a small business. Took time away for personal family reasons and am now getting back in after a 10 year absence. I am a newbie once again. So much new material and products...
  7. T

Algae issues :(

As usual, I wholeheartedly agree with Dave. Listen to him. You copper is a huge deal breaker with corals. As is Tap water. You want a fix? Use a RO system. They are very portable. Then say goodbye to many of issues you have or will have. IMO...end of topic.
  8. T

Help Troubleshooting 18 mo Old Tank

99 times out of 100 it is a Nitrate issue. Often times this reads minimal as the nitrates are being taken up by the aforementioned Algae. Giving you the erroneous measurement. Further do you employ a skimmer? For starters, while you consider other remedies, I would start by doing that WC every...
  9. T

Can someone id these 2

agreed. look harmless
  10. T

Business License

Been there, done that. In New York I had to go downtown to register a name of a business. That cost me 65 bucks in NY. 20 years ago. Absolutely positively do NOT go tax exempt until you are SURE this is going to be a full time business. Taxes is where you run into trouble. They watch you. My...
  11. T

New two the world of fish

Also think of seeding it with some Coralline. That will color up those white rocks.
  12. T

Let's talk PH buffer

COD!!! You rocked that one!
  13. T

Does tank size affect fish size?

This is a topic that I care not to report my opinion on. But... (isn't there always?).... My biggest OMG learning moment was when I visited the New England Aquarium. There was fishes, Tangs, Triggers, (Especially triggers) and Angels CONSTANTLY cruising the tank. I mean 100 feet in a minute...
  14. T

Nominations for April 2016's TOTM!

I nominate....ME! Oh wait. Do you have to actually have water in the tank? Oh wait, the tank isn't built yet. Grumble grumble grumble.... Seriously. Nice going Dave. :celebrate:
  15. T

Hair Algae?

Perhaps there is another avenue that we must look at as far as Algae growth. This supports different views on said growth. Water movement. "Areas where this detritus builds up also become prime breeding grounds for algal blooms. Good water movement within a reef tank will keep this detritus in...
  16. T

Hair Algae?

I don't care what anyone says. NOT having a Manatee in my tank! EVER!!!! LOL :)
  17. T

Hair Algae?

Paul. I appreciate your reply. Please allow me to question it. Not arguing because I feel this may be an incredible valid outlook. But not sold as of yet. First thought is that I would have loved to see a breakdown of the water quality at the said locations that you posted the pictures. (Light...
  18. T

Hair Algae?

Paul, I agree to disagree. But will not debate with you as there are some subtle points that are correct. There are phases that will, and need, to run their course. That being said, during such times it IS beneficial to keep aforementioned PO3 PO4 levels in check to keep it to a minimum and keep...
  19. T

set my Reef up again about a month ago

Good to hear. I am about ready to pull the trigger for the same thing. I am and old Marshal rock guy. Sad its no longer available.
  20. T

What RS is really about . . .

Actually, I was here for that. When the RAG got stupid. I accompanied Teri as a Mod there. It can get touchy and it is critical to having people post ANY questions and not have people try to be the site EXPERT by putting down others. Wish you the best of luck here. Treat it like a party where...