Search results

1. eakatank

Spectrapure LiterMeter 3 Remote Pump

Great. Thanks for the help. I will call Spectapure to verify. Unfortunately my setup doesn’t allow any room for buckets or top off vessels of any kind. I can easily pull a small hose up from the basement so I think I’m going to stick with that. If I can’t find an alternate pump I’ll have to buy...
  2. eakatank

Spectrapure LiterMeter 3 Remote Pump

Can this pump be used without the whole LiterMeter 3 System? I want to use the Tunze Osmolator ATO with the Spectrapure pump but can't seem to figure out if it's possible. I have some concerns that the pump is controlled through a 3.5mm jack that plugs into the LiterMeter system. Is this...
  3. eakatank

HQI...What's the difference?

I just finished setting up the new lights. They look great but man are the fans loud. Does anybody have any experience with the Current lights? Can the loud fans be swapped out for quiet ones?
  4. eakatank

Great. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the lights. Do most of these fixtures include the UV?
  5. eakatank

Anything??? I'm just looking for a little insight into HQI bulbs.
  6. eakatank

experience??

I also went with the Filter Guys. Great service, great product, great price.
  7. eakatank

Filter question

I built myself a sump that's almost identical to what you're looking into building. A few issues I ran into 1. If you add unions as suggested be sure they do not bump into the stand once installed. This drove me crazy after I spent hours on the plumbing. 2. If you're running over 700GPH into...
  8. eakatank

I'm looking into upgrading lighting over my 75 and am looking into the Current USA 10K HQI-MH. What's the difference between an HQI bulb and a regular MH bulb? Pros/cons with color temp? performance? bulb replacemnt $, etc.? Here's what i'm looking at: Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit 2x250w...
  9. eakatank

Yet Another Lighting Order

I see that Aqua Medic sells a T5/MH combo. Are there any other options? Retrofit??
  10. eakatank

Anything??? If nothing else how many bulbs would be appropriate for a mixed reef tank of this depth?
  11. eakatank

Well I finally built up the courage to drop a few bones and upgrade my lighting. Here's what I have so far...I got bulb recommendations from DIYreef...Very friendly and helpful folks BTW. I'm looking for something similar in color to a 12,000K MH setup. I'm planning to run this over a 20"...
  12. eakatank

RO/DI Auto-Top off Questions?

OK. So it’s recommended to fill a reservoir first and then use a float switch/ATO to move the water into the sump? Even if I install an overflow drain into the sump, how does this prevent flooding the tank with fresh water? Or are we just preventing a flood of the entire house? Are you...
  13. eakatank

Do you have a recommendation/link for the mechanical auto shut off switches? Is the setup similar to a solenoid? How much risk is there running it directly into the sump or a kalk reactor in the sump? I will take whatever precautions are necessary as long as I know about them.
  14. eakatank

What is an auto shut off? What's the difference between that and using a float switch? Won't running dual float switches and dual solenoids significantly reduce my chances of a fresh water flood? I wasn't aware of TDS creep but it is good to know. My goal is to simplify the top-off...
  15. eakatank

I'm planning on setting up an RO/DI unit for top-off and need a little clarification on what exactly I need. I will be running the plumbing off of the washer line, up through the floor and into my sump. This is what i have so far: 1. Filter Guys: OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI 2...
  16. eakatank

OT: EEK! and eakatank, Happy Birthdays

holy crap I didn't even see this. Belated thanks for the punctual wishes.
  17. eakatank

Help identify please

Awesome! Thanks for the help.
  18. eakatank

Help identify please

I can't find any pics of colonial tunicates that look very similar. This is about the size of a fist and apparently it sheds the top every week or so.
  19. eakatank

Help identify please

Hello all, I stopped by my LFS today and ran into something I had not seen. Pics were taken with my phone so they're not what you would call good. It has blue branches and white tops. The owner told me he wasn't exactly sure what they were called but had heard they were difficult to keep in...
  20. eakatank

Crabs breeding? or fighting?

reminds me of the great crab battle of 06. I think it's a case of the grass is always greener. Once the numbers dropped the fighting became more infrequent. I haven't seen one in a while.