Search results

1. mtfish

Hydor koralia pumps

It seems that they just make for a more directional flow. I actually don't have mine on right now. I don't think they will make a HUGE difference, unless you wanted more of a hard directional type flow. On the other hand they should have come with them, so you should have your lfs get you...
  2. mtfish

And so it begins... (Again.)

Thanks guys. Terri: Yeah this is the fun part... I love sitting around the tank at night with a little red flash light and explaining what I'm doing to the wife :) I've always liked tanks with arches, so I decided to try it myself. Good advice on the clear coat reefguy, thanks.
  3. mtfish

And so it begins... (Again.)

Hello to all. I've lurking in the shadows for a while and finally returned! Last time I was writing to you I was trying to set up a 20g tank and remove some mirror backing. Let me just say, that was a disaster. I had given up on that and between work, a 1½ year old son, building a new house...
  4. mtfish

Water Jugs

Another idea would be a larger garbage can. I just finished moving a 90g tank (& a 44g) and I used a 32 gallon trash can which I got for around $20. I was able to fill it 3/4 full and still move it with another guy. (It was pretty heavy, but still moveable). I just pumped the water back into...
  5. mtfish

white ball thingy

Mucho Thanks.
  6. mtfish

white ball thingy

Any ideas? It's about 1" wide, just noticed it today.
  7. mtfish

Tank 2: Return of the 20g

Well, it's still a lump of coal... During the week I have little time between family and work to mess around with my new project, but I did learn that it is not easy scraping off the reflective backing. It was actually mirrored, not just reflective sticky paper, but real mirror. Ugh. After...
  8. mtfish

Tank 2: Return of the 20g

Yes in deedley doo, the rumor is true... I happened to stop by my LFS after work and came home with a used 20h drilled tank, filled with junk for $25. I know I should have come home with the 220 I usually drool over but I'm on a budget here. Anyway here is my new project that I really don't...
  9. mtfish

10g Nano - My first SW tank

Thanks BigAl. I always look at it and wish it wash nicer so it's nice to hear that from time to time. I don't remember exactly how much LR I started with maybe 10-12 lbs or so. I knew that I would be adding more rock as I added corals so I tried to keep it sparse to start and now I really...
  10. mtfish

formula for tank size

For the record google also has a calculator function... If you type something like: 240000 square feet to acres or 30 liters to us gallons or 4000 cubic inches to gallons it will convert it. I know you already got your answer but I use it for all sorts of things.
  11. mtfish

How to remove Cyano in the sandbed..

I'd agree with the previously mentioned fixes, plus I've had success with Red Legged Hermit Crabs eating Cyano.
  12. mtfish

Thanks. One thing I've learned that it is very hard to aquascape in a 10g tank :D
  13. mtfish

Can you tell me who is this guy?

which type do you think it is?
  14. Ricordea

Ricordea

15. Green Polyp

Green Polyp

16. mtfish

help with some ID on live rock hitchhikers PLEASE! :)

well in #1 it also looks like a protopalythoa. see : http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-hitchhiker-id/16375-id-please.html but in #2 it looks like a zoa. So thats your call just comapre some pics, I just wanted to put it out there. :)
  17. mtfish

Can you tell me who is this guy?

I had problems with cowrie going after my soft corals, so I had to remove them and return them to my LFS. But I think it depends on the type of cowrie. You should take a look at some of the pictures HERE and maybe try some of the other snail links there as well. Hope this helps & good luck :)
  18. mtfish

theskunk's 25 gal

Re: 25 gal Nice start. I have a cup coral and love it. I think you will too. Keep us updated! I'm not a drilling expert but so what I'd do is call a glass shop and have them do it. But I have heard many people doing it with dremels. From what I've read take it slow and make sure that you...
  19. mtfish

Quick update. I got some more button polyps yesterday and had to move alot of stuff around. We'll see how this setup works out. Not the best pictures, but I was in a hurry.
  20. mtfish

Thanks everyone, I'm finally figuring out how to take some decent pics :) First JFK_Jr : The camera is a simple Kodak Easyshare LS743. It's actually a pretty basic camera. I use a tripod and it also has a 'macro' mode for close shot then I clean the glass inside and out then start taking...