Search results

1. D

I really need some help with lighting and protein skimmers

ok first of all I'd like to say I love this site.ive been a member for probably 5 years now and I've learned a ton.I really appreciate everything.I've been out of the hobby for around 3 1/2 years now and I've noticed technology has changed a ton.I have a 65g tall that's drilled with the built in...
  2. D

DIY plugs for PC's

I have a few extra replacment bulbs for my PC but I was wondering if they make a plug that will connect to the bulb.I have looked everywhere but I cant find a plug that will fit the straight pin configuration.How could I make my own?I have a canopy on top of my tank so I dont need all the extras...
  3. D

My wrasse is dying...I need help

My wrasse is just lying on the bottom now.I havent seen him for days but now he can out and he's about to die.What was I supposed to be feeding it?I was feeding it freze dried shrimp.Now what to do?
  4. D

MH and actinics

When using MH is actinics necessary?What do the actinics do?To rate the actinics,is it like 5 watts per gallon or different?On my 65g I am going to be using 400 watt MH but I didnt know if I should get actinics also...Thanks
  5. D

Fish losing its colors???

What makes fish start to lose their colors?When I bought my clown about 8 hours ago it was very bright.Now it seems like its losing its color.Well the color seems to be dulling.Is it something I am doing or is it adjusting to the new tank?
  6. D

Reef safe????????

I went to my local fish store and bought a new fish.I dont know the name of it but I can describe it.It looks like nemo and a eel mixed.Its picking at my corals.Is it cleaning them or eating them.Heres a picture also.
  7. D

Opinions needed

Well this topic would be your opinions on mercury vapour/vapor.When asked what kind of lighting needed for a reef everyone seems to have the same answer,MH.I know they are supposed to be the best and the most expensive but what about mercury vapour/vapor?Are they really worth trying out?Has...
  8. D

temp in a reef tank?

Coral lighting How do you know if certain corals or getting enough light or enough current from the powerhead?
  9. D

temp in a reef tank?

Whats a moderate temp to keep in a reef tank?Mine is around 75,is that ok?
  10. D

Sand from the ocean?

Can sand straight from the ocean be used in a saltwater tank?Or does it have to be cured first?I heard that its fine to use but some say different.Ocean sand,to me,already has all the little critters and bacteria in it.
  11. D

I need help!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey everyone.I have recently bought a 65 gallon reef ready tank.What are my options for the predrilled holes?I thought about a closed loop but I am unsure.What else could I do?Are their any good filtration...
  12. D

Saltwater tank for the noobie

Hello Hello everyone.My name is David and I am a beginner at saltwater tanks.I came here to try to get help starting my new tank.I am looking forward to meeting everyone and discussing saltwater tanks and to gain knowledge.See you guys later