Search results

1. R

ALK is low. What is best way to dose in order to keep consistent levels?

Thank you for this info as well. My tank does seem to be doing fine and everything appears happy. Only my alk appears to be low over the last month or so. I have not tested for mag. Maybe I should start.
  2. R

Thanks so much. I do get the point that it needs to be added slowly and I would like to manually dose due to the fact that sometimes things happen and can potentially mess up your entire tank. I am going to make a batch and start using it. I guess if I do it daily or every other day I won't need...
  3. R

Great advice I like the thought of dosers and the fancy stuff I just have no idea how to use or where to start with them. My tank is a 65g and I test the water as best as I possibly can, in terms of accuracy. I am due for a WC which I'll be doing 10g tonight. It has been 2 weeks since the...
  4. R

Thank you for the reply. I usually do WC with regular ocean water from my LFS. I have powered pickling lime which is the same thing but I have not used it yet because I do not have any idea how much to add and how fast to add it. When I top off I usually add about a gallon maybe less every...
  5. R

My tank is few months shy of a yr old. I have virtually no algae problems, coraline and corals grow steadily. I have an AI sol led as my light, oversized skimmer for the tank and I use activated carbon. Today I tested and my alk is low according to the API test kit, at 6. I believe it should be...
  6. R

New Frag Tank Questions and Advice

Thank you! I will do that and i will test also
  7. R

Ok thank you. Is it neccessary to cycle if I used some of my DT water and live rock? I do not plan on adding sand
  8. R

I just got a 29g biocube on trade for my old T5. I want to turn it into a frag tank but I had a few quick questions. Is it neccessary to cycle a frag tank? Also do I need a skimmer and do I need filtration or can I use macro algaes and activated carbon?
  9. R

Anyone using AI SOL LED Lighting? I have a question...

Hey Steve I up'd the percentage on the LED! Corals look amazing today. My multiple zoo colonies went from 25% open to 75% open now. My mushrooms are huge as well as the bubble coral. My candy canes and duncans really opened up. I haven't seen my candy canes this puffed up in a long time.. Here...
  10. R

Wow thank you so much for your help and guiding me through my problems. i really appreciate the personal attention RS members give to one another. I really hope that I can help people out on here, as I have been helped. You really have no idea how much you are helping me...My fiance thinks...
  11. R

Thank you for the comment on the tank! I will try to get a new pic of it with new coral placement and rockwork. I understand that you didn't want to make it seem like I needed to purchase another light soon. I will proabaly in a few months after I have the wedding and honeymoon and I move into...
  12. R

Thank You! That was exactly what I was looking for!
  13. R

I would like to think it covers the tank pretty good, although I think 2 would be better. There is a store, by me, that has one over a 30" tank and he is supporting SPS. I could buy another light but I choose not to at this point in time. It is mounted 10" above water line but I was thinking to...
  14. R

Lighting Question for a BTA

I have to agree with Al Here. I was running a 156W T5 4bulb over my 65G tank (2.4Wpg). I had tremendous growth of zoa's and leathers and well onder the 3-4wpg rule. I currently have 72W LED light over my tank (1.1Wpg) yet the light output is outstanding compared to the T5. I'm still dialing in...
  15. R

Yes I have one light over my 65G. I was told I only needed one if I wasn't planning on SPS which I don't. It is mounted length wise with the length of the tank. Here is the lighting program as best as I can remember: 8:20am 25%w 28%B ramp 1 hour 9:45am 33%w 38%B ramp 1.5 hours 11:45am...
  16. R

Thank You! Today is the second day I am using the T5 (weak 2 bulb actinic and 10K) with the LED and the corals are opening better, so IMO the intensity is way too low. I was thining about a reptile screen cover for the top but I think this may cut down light also. At this point I think best...
  17. R

What can I use as covers so fish don't commit suicide? I also have an open sump with good water exchange!
  18. R

I will check out the magazine and good advice on the ramp weekly. I was thinking of buying the 4 pack of 70* optics so all of mine are 70* and this may not so much focused direct light on the corals. Also I am using a glass top to the aquarium. Could this be causing not enough good light to...
  19. R

I believe 20 or 22" it's a standard 65g 3' tank. I will slowly increase intensity. Just that the T5 looks so much brighter to the eye although I know the corals may not benefit from this light like the LEDs. I was just curious about the settings people were using?
  20. R

Thanks Matt I was just over on your 220 thread admiring your tank...I can't wait to get there.. On a side note I recently added the small 2 buld T5 I had when I bought the tank, to add to the LED and the corals appreciate the T5 along with the LED. The 2 bulb T5 looks really bright compared...