Search results

1. J

White spot on top fin of clown fish under QT

Just got 2 clown fish, and have them placed in a 9 gallon QT tank. On one of the fish, there is a small white spot, the size of a grain of sand on the top fin. I'm sure this is a common question that comes up. I'm new to this I would hope to get some help to ID if this is something that...
  2. J

dKH "stuck" around 7-8 range

I've been trying to raise my dKH, and it's been difficult getting past dKH8.5. I'm dosing B-Ionic two times daily, about 16mL of each part in the morning, and about 8mL of each part in the morning. At one point in time, I had been dosing close to 20mL of each solution twice a day. Even then...
  3. J

Turboflotor blue skimmer and water level

I'm using the Turboflotor Blue skimmer in my 130D, and it skims extremely well when it works. However, I find that it's super sensitive to the water level; maybe all skimmers are - but I haven't the experience to know. I believe one of the causes is I'm having a lot of algae slowly dying off...
  4. J

Sand turning black, bubble coral not opening fully, cyanobacteria in 3.5 mth old tank

My tank is about 3.5 months old now. And I'm running into a few problems, I'm stuck on at the moment. 1) Part of my sand is turning black on top. Lightly stirring the sand shows a sort of slimy coat (or at least something causing the sand to clump together). Is this cyano? - Photo...
  5. J

Corals look weakened w/ bleaching, low dKH, how much buffer to dose?

I'm new to the hobby, and my tank has cycled for nearly two months now; and I'm gradually stocking up on coral. Up until about a week ago, all additions to the aquarium have been doing fine; and since adding my most recent additions and a water change - a few of the corals seem to have less...
  6. J

Best way to use ChemiPure Elite in 130D (no media basket)

What is the best way to use CPE in the 130D? I currently only have a small bag (not the red-sea bag) of carbon in the chamber of death. Could I just throw a bag of CPE over top the carbon? Does require the majority of water to flow through it or some leakage is ok? I know the in tank...
  7. J

Metal in Caribsea aragonite

Just cleaned the glass on my newly cycled tank with a magnet cleaner the other day, and I noticed the magnet picked up a number of black metallic pieces from the substrate. The pieces got stuck in the cleaning pad, and even left a bit of rust. I'm using Caribsea aragonite as substrate...
  8. J

Anyone using LiterMeter or Tunze metering pump for auto WC?

Does anybody here have any experience using either a LiterMeter III for a constant water change, or Tunze metering pump for semi-automated water change on an RSM tank? I've read about someone using the metering pump + a switch to toggle between SW refill and regular ATO. My only concern is...
  9. J

ID - possible aiptasia?

Just found this developing on one piece of my LR. Referenced some photos, and I'm thinking it may be aiptasia, can anyone confirm? When probed/touched, the tentacles curl up into a ball. I did not see it retract into the live rock. There's a bunch of these growing. Current size is...
  10. J

ID help for beginner please.

Can someone help me ID this hitchhiker on my LR? There's a lot of this on one piece of LR. Thanks.
  11. J

New tank, starting cycle - questions

Just started to cycle my new 34gal tank (RSM 130D), and have a few questions: - I started by preparing the saltwater, then rinsed and added sand, then left for a week before adding live rock. I've been reading some suggestions to add the sand last (after the cycle) to keep it clean. I'm...
  12. J

ATO sensor above heater compartment - potential overflow?

I have the RSM 130D and the Tunze Osmolator; though I guess this would apply to any ATO system. I've seen a few people install the ATO float in the space near the heater compartment. I currently have it installed there too; but I'm thinking what if there was a clog or obstruction of the...
  13. J

Power outage backup plan

Setting up my new 130D, and creating a backup plan in case of power outage. At the moment, anything within about 2-3 hours will be done with a sine-wave output UPS power supply, in addition to the Ecotech Marine battery pack for my MP10. I am thinking about heating issues beyond 2-3 hours, and...
  14. J

Cleaning up new aragonite substrate dust mess

Just added Carib-Sea Aragonite substrate to my tank last night, and the water is really cloudy now. I did rinse the aragonite with RO water, though I didn't have enough water to wash until clear. I did between 2-3 rinses per each small batch of substrate added. Did some reading and my options...
  15. J

RSM 130D pump and MP10 noise

Just filled my new 130D and mixed salt-water. I'm finding one of the stock water pumps a bit noisy, and I'm not sure if it's just the location of the pump. The pump closest to the left side of the tank is fairly silent with a barely noticeable hum when turned on, however the other pump (on...
  16. J

New 130D setup questions

Just finishing up assembling my 130D, and I've got a few questions: 1) Where should the gray air-hose for the protein skimmer go? The manual says "thread pump cord and hose through the cord access hole". I know it goes to the top above water to draw air, but there are about 4-5 inches...
  17. J

Dimming 130D fluorescent w/ new ballast and Apex controller

Has anybody successfully modified their RSM 130D to be able to dim the T5 fluorescents via an Neptune Apex controller (or any other controller/dimmer)? I know the stock ballast does not support dimming, and the Neptune Apex can dim nearly anything that has the 0-10V interface. It looks...
  18. J

Moving 130D full of water and LR

I'll be cycling my new 130D soon, but will need to move the whole thing a few feet in a month or so. I get a feeling moving the aquarium when full is not really recommended. The floor is a hardwood floor, and I was thinking about adding some adhesive felt pads to the bottom of the RSM stand...
  19. J

Soon to be 130D owner, buying starting upgrades

I've placed my order for a new 130D, and this will be my first saltwater aquarium. I'm really excited to get this, as I've been planning for this a long time. I'm planning to start with a few basic upgrades, and wanted to hear any opinions. Here they are: - Replace stock heater (and...