Search results

1. M

Bullying firefish!

Hi All!! I've recently moved my reef into a 90 corner tank, it hasnt been set up long, and as such doesnt really have much in there. There is however 2 firefish who were quite happy in my old tank which was really quite small. Once they had been moved over, 1 was fine, and is flourishing...
  2. M

LIGHTING... in depth discussion

I'm sure I wont be the only one to recommend against using a large amount of UV leds in the tank, not only because of the damage it can do to your eyesight, but also to your reef. Use them by all means in a seperate system to pass through maybe on a return feed to the tank, but not associated to...
  3. M

Where can I get a sensor head from? I've been searching online for a while, with little success!
  4. M

look what I've found! CREE XM-L XLamps, CREE T5 BIN and other These will soon be installed in my setup!!!!
  5. M

My new 90!

I'm going for DIY, but its taking some serious research, I'm getting CREE xre q5 leds, white, blue and a dash of red, and watch this space, it's going to rain and lightening too!!
  6. M

My new 90!

I'm amazed by the growth with the CREE LEDs, that seals it, I'm getting some!
  7. M

My CREE 180w LED thread

Wow!!! Those lights absolutely rock! I'm going to have to get me some of those!
  8. M

My new 90!

Aren't you using Cree 3w on your 55? just noticed your signature! what do you think of it? was it a diy?
  9. M

My new 90!

At the moment i have an external canister filter with the guts ripped out, some polyfilter and rowaphos in there. I'm looking at setting up a sump with a turf screen instead of a skimmer, and I'm going all LED pretty soon! There is virtually no load on it at the moment, so i'm not too worried...
  10. M

My new 90!

So, I'm still fairly new to this, only been at it about 9 months, so i'm going spectacularly slowly! I did have a 20g nano set up, but quickly learned that bigger is obviously better! Its all been transferred into a new 90 corner tank now, and is settling in nicely! what do you think?
  11. M

Hahhaa!! Has this gone slightly off topic?
  12. M

We all love the reef, but which one????

Yes, I learned the unfortunate truth about lfs early on, after spending a huge amount of unnecessary cash. I guess its all a learning curve! So I started again, and basically from the info in this forum, have never lost anything yet! Now I've said that, everything will die. Sigh. It has...
  13. M

Ha ha ha! My problem is that I'm an engineer! I'm constantly looking at ways of improving, simplifying, recreating, anything I can! It's in my nature! And since getting into reefs,well I don't need to explain to anyone here the passion! It does take over your life doesn't it!
  14. M

I've been following your lighting thread with interest! I've pretty much explained my project in it! I'm wondering if there is a 'middle ground ', most people wont have frags from just one location, they'll be the best from all over the world. Is there somewhere in the world where all the corals...
  15. M

Quantum mechanics? Now you're talking my language!
  16. M

So the next question is, how important is it to keep the conditions accurate to the location? If a Fiji coral was kept in an Australian climate, would it damage it?
  17. M

I have a bit of a project in mind, and I'm trying to do a load of research.... so I was wondering, which reef is the most common source for domestic aquariums? is there any particular area? depth? Or are they kind of from all over the world.... Any info would be incredibly useful! :dance:
  18. M

Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, Light Basics. Forgot to link the website...
  19. M

So what I'm aiming for is the complete spectrum of light, with peaks at 3 points, this website has been pretty useful, but it seems like the technology is moving at a spectacular rate! LEDs are already surpassing MH, and at this rate, they will be a true representation and considerably cheaper...
  20. M

Jackalope! Good effort of trashing the light fitting! As someone once told me, if you cant open it up, you don't really own it!