Search results

1. S

Nitrates on the rise need help

Thank you to all who have replied. It's nice to know there is always somebody to give some help. I have removed the problem coral at this point. In response to some of the suggestions, this is what I normally do. I usually clean out the back of the tank at least once a month. I use a...
  2. S

BigAl, and Acanman, my signature pretty much sums up my tank,but this is what I have. The tank is 2 years old. I have approx. 35 lbs of rock, 20lbs of live sand. There are 2 tank raised clowns a yellow watchman goby, and a banded coral shrimp. I feed every other day a 1/4-1/2 cube of mysis. My...
  3. S

Hi guys! I'm starting to get a rise in nitrates, and have a dumb question. Would a dying coral cause the increase? I have what I think is a favia brain,that seems to be dying. It's showing a lot of skeleton,but seems to subsided. Would that increase the nitrates? As usual, any help is...
  4. S

Tunze 9002 pump

I don't know that the pump on the 9002 (which I use) runs any cooler. As for being a much better skimmer, I wouldn't go that far either. It's a good skimmer, but if you're looking for a major improvement, I don't see it. Maybe some others that are using it can jump in here.
  5. S

Need advice on LED kits for 130d

Yes it works with the tick timer
  6. S

Need advice on LED kits for 130d

I'm with Big Al, I have the modular LED set up, and love them. The install was quite easy. I can't run near 100% because they are quite strong. I'd say after about 4 months, I'm running them at around 40%.
  7. S

RSM 130D LED upgrade

I think you'll love them!
  8. S

RSM 130D LED upgrade

I'm running the same setup as Ausreef, except I didn't put in a red/green board, I left it standard white/blue. I love the colors, and the shimmer. Apparently the corals love them too. It was a very easy build. If I remember correctly, there are 14 boards x 2 lights, and they are each 3 watts...
  9. S

How long do you run your LED's

I have the same modular.Led kit on my RSM130d. I only run the whites at about 25% for 9hours, and the blues at 45% for the same 9 hours. If I go any higher on the output, my corals start to bleach. How long have you had the lights installed? I believe bigAl has the same setup, and runs his at...
  10. S

Tunze 9002

Am I missing something here? I have the Tunze 9002 also. Are you saying they don't sell a replacement from Tunze. Have you tried calling Roger in there US site in Texas?
  11. S

steves red sea max 130 adventure

WOW! Looks great. I think most of your water level problems will be solved when you add the other pump.
  12. S

Help setting up a quarantine tank

Thanks, Glen. That answers a lot of questions. Mike
  13. S

Help setting up a quarantine tank

Ok all, I need to set up a quarantine tank. If I use a 10gal tank, fill it with water from my display tank, put a HOB on it, will I be able to use it right away? I guess what I'm asking is, will it go through a cycle, or can I just use it right away? Thanks Mike
  14. S

New install of LED's from ModularLED

Ausreef, thanks so much. I'm going to contact Martin and have him send me a red/green.
  15. S

Poll: Filter floss in RSM 130D

I use the blue/white stuff, and change it every 2 days or so. I sometimes put a piece of the floss on top of it for a day after doing tank maintenance. I would like to try the pink/white stuff Big Al is talking about,but don't know wheretheypurchase it. Maybe somebody can lead me to where I can...
  16. S

New install of LED's from ModularLED

Well after listening to BigAl talk about his LED's from ModularLED for a while, I decided to make the buy. I have to say it was the best thing I did. I am not the most talented when it comes to electronics, but must say the build was quite easy. Whenever I ran into some little problem I would...
  17. S

Damsel removal?

I guarantee the fishing method works... The hook Glen showed looks like the one I used. Like I stated before, keeping the bait on the hook was the hardest part. You just have to be patient, and try to keep from getting the other fish hooked. The best thing was nothing had to be moved around. Mike
  18. S

Damsel removal?

If all else fails, try this. Get yourself the smallest unbarbed fish hook you can. Use a piece of whatever you have available for bait. You won't beleive it, but I used mysis shrimp... Yes mysis shrimp. It takes a few tries, but you will get him, and the hook won't hurt him. The hardest part is...
  19. S

Nasty Percs

Hi Gang, I'm having a tough time with adding new fish to my RSM130D. I have 2 false percs, a yellow watchman goby, and a coral banded shrimp. Every time I try to add a new fish, the percs harass it till they kill it. I tried adding 2 different Firefish, and they killed them both times. Does...
  20. S

Cleaner Shrimp Missing!!!!!!!!

How are your Nitrates? I would think if either have died you would see a spike in trates. That's just my guess. I think from his track record you have to go with DMatt, he usuall has the answer when I have a problem. Mike