Search results

1. N83259

Common Corals & Diving Locations?

I have not been diving since starting in the SW hobby, but I am now thinking about a trip this winter. I was thinking it would be cool to see some of the coral species we all commonly keep in their natural environment. So the "Indo Pacific" would be a top choice...but where exactly? Australia...
  2. N83259

New Ecotech MP40! Now some questions.

My MP40 pump just arrived today and I'll install it this weekend. I'm really looking forward to using it. A few questions about the best ways to mount and use it on an RSM250 system: Where do most of you mount it? About equa-distant from the sand and top water level? I don't want to blow...
  3. N83259

Phosban Reactor in RSM 250?

I was checking out the Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 reactor at the LFS the other day. Looked like a simple, well built unit. I didn't do any measurments, but I was wondering if it would fit into the "media chamber" to the right of pump #1? Can this thing be run IN the water?And is it...
  4. N83259

API TEST KIT: ALK & Calcium Cheating?

As API test kit owners know, the instructions on the Calcuim and Alkalinity test kits recomend adding one drop, cap the tube, shake. Add another drop, cap, shake and so on. So is it OK to cheat a little and add 2 or 3 drops at a time to speed things up? Or will that mess up the results? I...
  5. N83259

Advice on Missing Fish

My nice Filamented Fairy Wrasse has been missing for about 2 days:(. It's been in the tank 3 or 4 weeks and seemed to be well aclimated & healthy. It ate well, was out in the open most of the day and was displaying it's colorful finnage as it moved around the tank. All other fish, inverts &...
  6. N83259

LIGHTS: How Low Can I Go ?

I’ll be away from my RSM250 for 4 days. I was thinking of setting the timer to a very short light period during this time. My idea is to reduce evaporation since I don’t have an ATO unit yet. I was also thinking of lowering the weir/gate so pump #1 doesn’t starve, and turning off the skimmer so...
  7. N83259

Tiger Cowries

Yesterday I purchased what my LFS labeled a Tiger Cowry. I thought I had read up on it and it was a reef safe herbivore. And in typical LFS style, the employees assured me it was "reef safe." So this evening I'm doing a little more research on it and am getting conflicting information. It...
  8. N83259

Yellow Finger Gorgonian Care

Moderator: Should a question like this be in the coral section as opposed to the Red Sea section? Please feel free to move it as you see fit. I may be exceeding my novice reefer status, but I just purchased a yellow finger gorgonian coral (yellow, white polyps from red holes) from my LFS...
  9. N83259

Mixing Shrimp

Not talking about steamed vs fried.... :square: I added a medium sized Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp about 6 weeks ago (Lysmata debelius I think, some photos list it as a Blood or Fire shrimp). He seems to be healthy but only appears once or twice a week or so, spending most of his time out of...
  10. N83259

Floating Mushroom

I had a red mushroom polyp detach yesterday from a small piece of LR. A snail bulldozed it to the bottom just as it was trying to attach to the underlying rock where the frag colony sat. It was floating around but I fished it out and it's in good shape sitting on the sand bed for now in a low...
  11. N83259

Advice on Algae Remedies (LONG)

BACKGROUND TO QUESTION:I'm having the typical newbie/new tank algae outbreak (4 month old RSM250) of either the string or the hair variety. N03 & phosphates are low (0ppm or close) on my API kits, but what little is produced is apparantly getting deposited quickly in the form of algaes. It's not...
  12. N83259

Missing fishie + 3 other ????s

This morning my Firefish didn't come out to eat as usual and I didn't have time to look for him. I know they are reported to be jumpers buy my hood is always closed. So I was wondering if there is any chance he got himself in the back chambers somehow? I didn't have a chance to really...
  13. N83259

Water Storage - Good/Bad Idea?

I was thinking of preparing 4 to 6 weeks worth of salt water for weekly changes and RO water for top off ahead of time. I'd be keeping them in 5 gallon clear plastic jugs - the kind you see on office water coolers. Due to the small neck of these containers, there would be no power head...
  14. N83259

Margarita Snails Tropical?

Last night I bought a CUC. 2 tiny Scarlet Legged hermits, 4 Turbo Snails and 4 Margarita Snails from my LFS. I forgot to bring my pocket reference book, "101 Best Invertibrates" by Scott Adams to the store. After I got home and acclimated the CUC and put them in the tank, I was flipping...
  15. N83259

NITRATE: Stage 3 Cycle ???

My live rock has been curing in tank for 23 days and all is going well. It went through the Amonia part very quickly, then the Nitrites kicked in, went very high and then went to zero within the last week. Phosphates read 0ppm now too. So now I'm in the Nitrate phase. It's reading high on my...
  16. N83259

RSM Upgrade Equipment: Heaters & Skimmers

I just added about 75 pounds of Fiji live rock 5 days ago to my RSM 250 and the cycle has started and the stock protein skimmer seems to be producing some foam already. Yipee! Maybe I'll avoid some of the problems so many new users seem to have with the stock skimmer. If it produces enough...
  17. N83259

Introduction & Questions

Hello everyone, a new RSM 250 owner here. I just set up my system and should be moving it into its final position in my house in a few days. Then it's on to filling it with SW, the sand bed, LR and so on. I have a new RO/DI set up, API master test kit, a reef specific salt mix and a chiller...