Search results

1. M

Raising Salinity

I agree, It would tick me off if someone was watching my tank and messed with my parameters, right or wrong. And with my luck, his tank would crash and I would be holding the smoking gun!
  2. M

ATO storage ??

I use a fiberglass water tank from an old water softner. Cut it down a bit, it will hold 15-20 gallons. My system seems to evap. about a gallon a day depending. Anything smaller than 5 gallons just seemed to be the same as adding it to my tank daily. Every time I looked at my 5 gallon ato...
  3. M

Hair algae problem

Use a turkey baster and blow all the crap you can out of the pores of the rock. It is amazing the amount that can get stored in there. I do this at least once a month and am always shocked at what comes out. I had hair algae in the first few months as well and incorporated an algae scrubber...
  4. M

Vermetid Snails

I crunch my snails with a fine needle nose pliars. Is there anything that will eat these things? They are rapidly spreading throughout my tank as well
  5. M

Little yellow guys...

They are mojanos. I had them for a while. Started out got them from lfs on piece of rock. They were cool green with red tips. They stayed put for quite awhile, then they began to split and found little ones every where. I got them all out one by one. Aptasia x works on them.
  6. M

What is your favorite show fish for a 65g?

Koles are hardy imo. I put mine in a 17 gallon system I had with copper for 6 weeks then put him in my dt. No ich! Great fish, always out and about, munching on algae on rocks.
  7. M

Red algae on Gravel

just keep on vacuming it in that corner, hit it good a couple times this week. Remove any possible nutrients, decreased light cycle and see what happens.
  8. M

What is your favorite show fish for a 65g?

I'd go Kole Tang. Love mine!
  9. M

Red coraline, or something else?

I have some in my 65, I think it is cool. One point, I always see little colinista (sp) snails on it when lights are out, I believe they are grazing on it.
  10. M

Yellow Watchman Goby is never seen, but is decimating my pods.

My goby is out all the time, and has become one of my families favorite fish.
  11. M

Please help me i'm at my whits end!!

Another good thing to do is get a turkey baster, and blow as much gunk out of the pores of your live rock. Tons of uneaten food particles as well as other organic material can accumulate there. I once had a hair algae problem, but only on a few rocks. After doing this for a few days the algae...
  12. M

Cooling water WITHOUT chiller

If you like the waterfall idea, have you ever thought about ATS. I built one into my sump and it does help a little, plus I have two fans, one in and one out of my stand. They are hooked to my controller and work well. Ofcourse, I haven't had it operational in the summer months but, we will see.
  13. M

4 different thermometers, 4 different readings

You can check your thermometers by placing them in a glass of ice water, they should read 32-33 degrees
  14. M

FS: Refractometer LNIB & Koralia pump

Ill do the refractometer shipped for 20, pm me
  15. M

Pistol and the goby

They will find each other. Mine took a week or so, maybe even a little longer. I used to never see the shrimp but, now they are all over the tank and are my families favorite thing to watch. Be patient, the pair will come together.
  16. M

Hi, my name is Ron and I am a Reef-a-holic

I have admitted ro myself that I am addictted, I am trying to remain a functional reefaholic. Right now I have a 65 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump that I have had up and running for one year now. I also have a jbj 12 gallon nano sitting in the basement that calls to me to get it up and...
  17. M

Spots on Kole Tang

I just got a Kole tang from my lfs two days ago. He looked good and I didnt see any spots on the fish. However, when I got him home I noticed two white spots on his side fins, also possibly one on his fin under his tail. I,m not really sure if they are ich or not. To me, they look too large...
  18. M

What the heck are these things?

If they are brittle and break away, I would say tube worms
  19. M

Mystery World of Protein Skimmer

Can anyone say "Algae Scrubber" without a bunch of protein skimmer fans bashimg him. I run both a skimmer and a scrubber. Get a cup of skimmate a week, Scrubber grows lots of algae. Nitrates test out to zero, Phosphates test out at 0, No algae in tank. Knock on wood
  20. M

diy votech

Sorry, not trying to be mean. Let's just say I have been down this road before.