Search results

1. R

How long to quarantine?

Keeping QT at about 74. I understand the value of taking it slow, but I get concerned about stress from staying in the "boring" isolation that is not anything like their native habitat. Had a blue tang that spent its whole quarantine period laying on its side under the PVC pipe, sneaking out...
  2. R

How long to quarantine?

Had my blue spot in QT for two weeks now. Doing well, although it seems lethargic/depressed. I can feed it mysis soaked in Selcon and garlic from a turkey baster, but the rest of the time it just sits there. It's in a QT w/ PVC pipe, but I added a container of sand and rubble. Fish wouldn't...
  3. R

Cleaning back glass and skimmer grate

I have let the coralline (and other stuff) grow on the back wall of my RSM 250, but have decided that it would probably look better clean and black again. At least my preference. I can scrape the glass, but how to I clean the outlet nozzles and the plastic skimmer grate? I don't want to...
  4. R

Ich-like disease not responding to hyposalinity

Well, it appears that the spots are gone from the goby. Only took 18 days. The fin bites appear to have stabilized. The tail is mostly eaten off, but seems to be growing back. The top main fin on the back has a big chomp out of it, but the fish otherwise doesn't appear stressed and eats well...
  5. R

I have been following Lee's advice on treatment. The symptoms just don't seem to be responding as they should. The goby's pectoral fins still seem to have spots, but the fins themselves look more clouded and not their normal translucent look. We will see....
  6. R

First of all, I've been hesitant to post since I don't need to be made to feel more guilty, but I am at a loss, so here goes. Set up my RSM 250 about three months ago now. Good cured live rock, never had a cycle. Added pair of ocellaris clowns a couple months ago and they have done fine...
  7. R

RSM 250 and Aquacontroller Apex?

Well, my plan is to replace the flourescent ballasts with dimming ballasts and then I should be able to control each of the light pairs separately and turn them off and on dim them independently. Would also allow me to just have a pair of actinics on, for example. Want to also control the...
  8. R

RSM 250 and Aquacontroller Apex?

Guess I need more toys, but I'm getting an Aquacontroller Apex for my RSM 250 and have been trying to find others that have automated the hood components through the Apex. I've searched all over and can't believe I can't find anything, as others must have done this. I'd really like to be...
  9. R

Rerstad's RSM 250

Got my RSM 250 delivered on Thursday and set up with 50+ pounds of live rock as well as live sand on Friday. Added some snails and hermit crabs over the weekend. Totally new to salt water aquariums, so learning a lot. Now waiting to get to the exciting part of adding fish and corals!
  10. R

How long for skimmer to "produce" gunk?

I think mine is set to about the same height, so guess I'll just have to wait for the gunk.... As for the cycle, I'm totally new to this, so still trying to figure out what it means. (And I really hate the color testing, since it's so hard to tell which color it's closest to.) But when...
  11. R

How long for skimmer to "produce" gunk?

I set up my RSM 250 with 50+ pounds of cured live rock on Friday. Added a few snails and hermit crabs over the weekend. My skimmer appears to be working, but the foam does not rise enough to flow into the cup and it appears very white and light. How long does it take to start producing or do I...