Search results

1. iamspeed

Algae Bloom? Please Help

Hi there; I think I am having an algae bloom. I am adding a dose of Microbacter 7 every day, as prescribed in the bottle (2 weeks) since Sunday. I can notice the patches on the glass and back of the tank and the water looks a bit hazy. Is there anything else I should be doing? Please look...
  2. iamspeed

Cloudy Tank

Hi guys, I had an increase in ammonia in my tank...ended up tracing it to an overfilled back filter-area/sump (In my opinion, it was not filtering, some or a good portion of the water was simply beng pumped back into the tank) I think. Water was overflowing the dividers that separate the...
  3. iamspeed

Gluing Mushroom Coral

Hi guys.... How in the world do you get those to stick??? I tried epoxy (LOL), I tried Super Glue gel, still fell off. Help, please
  4. iamspeed

Epoxy Help

Does the Instant Ocean epoxy work well? How do you use it? Mix and stick your coral, rock, etc together? Any special prep or procedure?
  5. iamspeed

Chiller Problem, Update

Does anyone have an Aqua-Chill? I have a 1/6hp. During re-installation, I broke BOTH compression gaskets. I could post photos, but my photos are too big. The threads on the top are a hair over 1". Any ideas? I will post the photos in photo bucket :stars: Pictures by cmdmd - Photobucket
  6. iamspeed

Coralife Chiller

Does anyone have an Aqua-Chill? I have a 1/6hp. During re-installation, I broke BOTH compression gaskets. I could post photos, but my photos are too big. The threads on the top are a hair over 1". Any ideas? I will post the photos in photo bucket Pictures by cmdmd - Photobucket
  7. iamspeed

Chiller problem

I have an old Aqua-CHill 1/6hp. I broke the compression gasket caps (screw on caps to hold the gasket and the elbow down). The good news...the Chiller is discontinued. Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware do not carry anything like that. What do I do?...I am opening the floor to suggestions. THe...
  8. iamspeed

Water from shop

Hi, I got some water from the system of a trusted shop. I tested it last night, NO3 was at 80...I am pretty sure that is not splendid and I am not using it for my tank, which was the original plan. The water sat in the vessels I got it since last Saturday. The water on my new tank (6 days...
  9. iamspeed

Refractometer

Hi, I am wondering if a good hydrometer, like the one that says "temperature corrected and accurate to +/- .001" can give a refractometer a run for its money. I am sure there will be a lot of opinions, but has anyone compared the two? Thanks
  10. iamspeed

Voltage/Amp regulator

Is there an amp/voltage regulator for one of those Koralia pumps? I am looking into a 250 gph or a 450 gph. The 450 seems too much, the 250 seems too low (when compared to the flow of the tank. 28 HQL Cube 266 gph each pump...the jets dont seem that strong). Can you attach the 450 pump to a...
  11. iamspeed

In-Line Pump.

Hi guys, what's a good pump (350 GPH) for in-line use? Need one for my Chiller. Thank you.
  12. iamspeed

New 28 Gal help

Hello boys and girls; I set up my tank with 20lbs of live sand, 10 gallons of seasoned water, 6lbs of live rock to seed some old rock that I got from someone that removed it from their tank after a hair algae infestation. The rock was out of the tank dry for like 12 months. I washed the rock...
  13. iamspeed

28Gal HQL New Set up

Hello boys and girls; I set up my tank with 20lbs of live sand, 10 gallons of seasoned water, 6lbs of live rock to seed some old rock that I got from someone that removed it from their tank after a hair algae infestation. The rock was out of the tank dry for like 12 months. I washed the rock...
  14. iamspeed

Rocks and Live Rock

My friend has offered me rock from her old reef aquarium. This rock has been sitting out in a bucket without water under the sun for months. Will this dead rock get populated when I put live sand in my new aquarium? Should I get 2-3 pounds of live rock to help? Again, thank you for your...
  15. iamspeed

What do you test for?

It should be such a simple answer...but, I do know that pH, alkalinity, nitrites?, amonia and what else? Once cycled, I will put hard/soft corals and a few fish in my tank, along with the usual rock, sand and invertebrates. Thank you for your responses to my previous post.
  16. iamspeed

WHat test kit should I use?

Hi, which test kit should I use? Strips or drops/vials? The lab kits would appear more accurate, but, let me know your opinions, please. THank you
  17. iamspeed

New JBJ 29 HQI

Once I had a 180G reef tank, but not anymore. I bought a 29G HQI from JBJ (I think) and cant wait to cycle the tank and building a mini-reef. Can I add "Dead rock" along with "live sand" and have the bio from the sand populate the rock? (The rock will be cleaned and disinfected...it's from a...