Search results

1. W

46 Gallon Bowfront and equipment for sale

I hate to do it, but I have no time to keep up with a reef anymore, so I gave away all my stock and now am going to sell my tank and equipment. Thanks to all here on RS that have helped me in the past. This is a great community of super knowledgable reef keepers. I hope to one day soon be able...
  2. W

Selling off my reef

I am officially getting out of the reefkeeping hobby, for now anyway. Time restraints have kept me from devoting the time and attention needed to keep a reef. I have two Ocelaris Clowns, each about a year old. I would like to sell them as a pair if possible. Also, I have a Green Nepthea coral, a...
  3. W

My zoanthids are gone!!??

I have had two colonys of zooanthids for about 6 months now that were thriving and spreading at a pretty good rate. Then it seemed like a the polyp numbers began declining just one or two at a time. Then seemingly overnight, the rest, save about 3 total polyps, are gone. I have an ocellaris...
  4. W

Opinions about anenomes

Okay, I've had my reef set up for about 7 months now. All water parameters test great each time, with a few minor adjustments here and there of course. The corals and other inhabitants I have are flourishing. I have an Ocellaris clown. Am I, or should I say is my tank ready for an anenome? Just...
  5. W

Help!Caulerpa out of control!

I can't believe it's been almost a month since my last post. Please don't beat me with that wet caulerpa. I have enough of that. It's been crazy around here. The oldest started TBall this year, fishing tournaments and work take the rest of my time. Anyway, I posted a while back asking for ideas...
  6. W

wickjr's 46 gallon

I don't know why I didn't start my tank journal 4 months ago, but better late than never, I guess. I finally added my first few corals in the past few weeks. To this point I have a Neon Green Nepthea frag, two different zoanthid frags, a mushroom, a blue ricordea, and a pulsing xenia. All are...
  7. W

Is this algae or a coral?

This stuff is growing like crazy out of one of my rocks. The lobes are about the size of a 50 cent piece each. I looked in a couple books and the closest thing I found was a Lettuce Coral (Pavona cactus), but it is not identical to the picture. The edges of the lobes have tiny hairs all the way...
  8. W

Xenia question

I received a frag of pulsing xenia last Teusday evening. Since it has been in the tank, it has seemed to double in size as far as the length of the polyps, and seems to be healthy. The foot is even starting to stretch out to the rocks around the one it came on and attach. My concern is that the...
  9. W

New coral/peppermint shrimp question

I added 5 new corals to my tank this evening:2 different zoanthids, a green Nepthea, Xenia, and a blue Ricordia. All frags. Immediately upon placing it on the reef, the Nepthea began to look better by the minute. The one frag of zoos is starting to open, and the Xenia is coming around slowly...
  10. W

To dip, or not to dip?

I ordered some corals and frags tonight which will arrive Tuesday: 1 blue ricordia 1 Xenia frag 1 Nepthea frag 2 different Zoanthid frags Should I dip these before placing them in my tank? If so, with what? I only have one coral now, a mushroom, and didn't dip it, so I have no experience...
  11. W

Coral frag questions

I am finally going to order a few corals online, and some of the ones I am interested in are frags. My tank has been set up since early December, and I've been as patient as I can stand, so I have almost no experience with corals, except for one mushroom. Anyway, is there any special care or...
  12. W

Question on caulerpa removal

Just after my tank cycled, I added some long feather caulerpa to my main tank, just a little bit in the back corner. An employee at a LFS recommended it for nitrate reduction and said it wouldn't overgrow anything. Within a week I realized it would overgrow everything, based on the growth...
  13. W

First casualty?

I have been on vacation for the past two weeks. It's the first time I've had to leave the tank unattended since I set it up, but life doesn't stop, right. I installed an auto top off system and an auto fish feeder a few days before leaving to make sure both worked and the fish adapted well to...
  14. W

A simple thanks

Just wanted to thank all of you who have helped, or tried your best to help me through the first months of my reef tank. I was pretty much dazed and confused when I stumbled upon RS. After a lot of questions that everyone has surely heard a hundred times, I think things are taking off. All my...
  15. W

Fish stocking question

My reef is almost 9 weeks old. All reads are good and coralline algae is taking over:) . I do not have any fish or corals to this point, only hermits and snails to control algae. Anyway, to get to the point. My favorite LFS is having a 50% off fish and invertebrate sale starting tomorrow, and I...
  16. W

Caulerpa Algae

I have read/heard several different ideas about caulerpa in the reef aquarium. One LFS I go to has it growing in the corners of a reef tank and swears by it for removing phosphate and nitrate. They claim to have never had a problem with it. Most books call it a "good" algae and say it is reef...
  17. W

Safe algae control fish and invertebrates?

Everybody has their opinions on this and every book I read is a little different. My tank is getting much closer to being ready for some stock, and I am looking to start with some fish, crabs, stars, shrimp, whatever that will help with algae removal without picking at or eating corals that I...
  18. W

Lighting question

I recently added some more T5 lighting to my tank. The fixture came with blue actinic and 12000K bulbs. I have bulbs on the way that I plan to use instead of the 12000K. But I was wondering, is 12000K something to be used on a reef tank? I am planning on half actinic, half daylight bulbs. The...
  19. W

Mixing corals?

I'm not ready to add any yet, but looking ahead. I know corals attack each other both through toxins and stinging cells. Aside from providing adequate space between individuals, are there any corals that should absolutely not be kept in the same tank together? I am eventually looking to begin...
  20. W

Tregedy at a local LFS

I stopped by a fish store I've been going to for years about a month ago. It is a private owned store, run by a husband and wife. Anyway, they have had a 300 gallon reef display tank set up for 16 years. This thing is immaculate. Well.....it was. The owner was away for a few days, and while he...