Search results

1. G

Hitchhicker Questions!

Mantis shrimp appear in all colours. If there's really a mantis shrimp in your rock you should be able to hear it smash rock. Most hitchhiking mantises are small and will eat pods and small snails. If it's a species that can get big then they will also eat hermits. Some mantises eat fish. But...
  2. G

BTA wedged in rock DOA???

Either let it be or remove it because you want to remove it from your tank because you believe it is decaying. My brother also has an RSM250. He bought a BTA probably a bit too early in a tank still filled with algae bloom/growth and insufficient CUC. It wandered a lot, floated around for a bit...
  3. G

new anemone

You ask for advice and everyone absolutely tells you to return it but you keep it. It's good that it is doing well. But it is probably doomed even if you upgrade the lights. Just because it will last a year doesn't mean it's doing ok in your tank. They take months to die.
  4. G

Is my RBTA sick, or just lonely?

Well the positive effect on anemones by clown fish has been elusive. That can't be the solution if there's a problem.
  5. G

BTA with Occ Clowns...

Yes, but it may take months or years. Or they may never do. It's like inventing the fire for them. They don't know what anemones are but somewhere in their genes they have the ability to figure out they should use anemones for protection. I guess fish in the wild learn this behavior from their...
  6. G

Is my RBTA sick, or just lonely?

There's supposed to be a benefit to anemones for their relationship with clownfish but that's in the wild with the 'proper' species having the relationship. But anemones can't be lonely since they have no brains. They don't have thoughts at all. You didn't mention feeding the anemone. Is that...
  7. G

Emerald Crabs safe?

Someone did a search on emerald crabs since that person 'added them recently' and didn't look at dates.
  8. G

Emerald Crabs safe?

They are safe until they get big and bold or just go rogue period. They don't remain safe. If you get them you remove them after they have eaten the bubble algae or you allow them to eat what they want.
  9. G

Clear little bug creature with tentacles, day 5 in new Biocube 14

Since it's tentacles face the glass and not it's foot which is wrong for an aptaisia.
  10. G

getting feet wet

Not understanding if you did indeed wait 8 weeks, then tested then added fish. Also not sure what was wrong with your water parameters and why to cook the rock. You had a big algae problem? Now someone told you to start over? What does that mean? All your fish are dead? And now someone...
  11. G

Clicking sound inside in tank

I'd love to take a good look at the mantis that hitchhiked into this tank. He doesn't even come out of the rocks when no one is around(webcam).
  12. G

Well, if it is in there it's dead. No idea why it wouldn't come out. The high salinity method was so you didn't have to kill anything on the rock. And it should come out within seconds. So if it is really in there it's dead. Soda water and non-salinity water are worse of course. If you poor...
  13. G

I am pretty sure it should come out rather than die. Not entirely sure if it will die in RO water within 10 minutes though.
  14. G

If you dip it it should come out right away. If it doesn't, it's not in the rock. But it's better to dip in 1.030 specific gravity water as that shouldn't kill mushrooms.
  15. G

Least damaging on all the life on the rock is using water with 1.030 specific gravity. Most aggressive way is to poor carbonated water into it's den/hole/cavity. You can't really fill a bit bucket or tank with carbonated water so you can use just RO water with no salt. If you dip and nothing...
  16. G

Dip in water with 1.030 sg. I donno how practical it is to not have it exposed to air.
  17. G

Aiptasia, are there different types?

Different species of aiptasia look quite different. And I bet some anemones people call 'aptasia' aren't part of that genus. You even see people call hydroids aptasia.
  18. G

Getting rid of a Mantis?

Considering you have stuff in the tank it eats you may want to dip the rocks right away. It has lots of stuff to eat and some mantis won't fall for a bottle trap or it takes a long time with a lot of luck. Water with high salinity will not kill anything on your rock but it might stay inside if...
  19. G

Haha, yeah using a webcam too. If I hadn't seen a glimpse of it just once I would have thought it was something crazy. I am even beginning to doubt if I see what I did. It was swimming out and about and I must have caught it unaware so it hid in the overflow. Just now I was gazing inbetween...
  20. G

Which rock? Judging by the sounds it moves all across the tank. Also I want to avoid moving rocks so far.