Search results

1. Poriferan

Sac Town 225

Been a while since I posted on here but I thought I would share my latest adventure. The RSM 130 is on the decline. I got tired of my bryopsis battle and think the sand bed is going bad in the deep areas. The new build is a used tank I got locally. It is a 225gal completely starfire...
  2. Poriferan

375 Gallon Restoration

I decided I have made enough progress to start a thread here on my latest project. I picked up this tank off craigslist and started a journey to get it working again. My 1st and still main concern was found after I got it home. This runs about 3 inches from the top and there are 2 of...
  3. Poriferan

LPS ID help please.

Could anyone tell me what kind of coral this is and what conditions it likes. It reminds me of Fungia plate, but it is not round and has multiple mouths. The Mother colony is at least 12" across and has an erratic shape. LFS told me they bought it thinking it was a chalice but that is was...
  4. Poriferan

Ghetto 85 Gallon Long

I picked up this tank and terrible stand for almost free so I decided to "restore" it and see what I can get to live inside. I took a few days, a few vinegar baths, and a few dozen razor blades to get most of the calcium carbonate deposits off the glass and rim. I didn't take any pics sadly of...
  5. Poriferan

Anyone have a Reef Octopus extreme 200?

I have ordered the Reef Octopus OCT-EXT200. I would like to know if the adjusting pipe can be removed to allow clearance into my tank stand. There will be plenty of room once the skimmer is inside the stand to install/remove the cup, but sliding the sump into the stand through the door opening...
  6. Poriferan

Skimmer Recommendation

I am debating between Octopus Extreme 200 Protein Skimmer and ASM G-3 Protein Skimmer with Sedra 5000 Pump Could I get some feed back on the better skimmer or another suggested one for under $300? Thanks
  7. Poriferan

Overflow Size help

What size overflow should I use for a 85 gallon tank 66x17x17. Is 700gph enough. It will be draining to a 40 gal breeder. Thanks
  8. Poriferan

Mixing leathers and SPS?

I thought I read something about mixing leathers and SPS being a bad idea. Any thoughts?
  9. Poriferan

Eggs?

Any ideas on these? The entire clump is about the size of a pencil eraser. The black spot looks eye-like to me. Ther are more white then the picture shows. I had a guess of tunicates, but the black spot does not look like a hole to me...
  10. Poriferan

Can selection

I see a lot of people use Brute brand trash cans for water premixing. Is any large can going to be OK, as in a Wal Mart can? I don't want to get one that is going to leach something into my water while it's mixing... I checked the Rubbermaid cans at Ace Hardware, but non say brute on them...
  11. Poriferan

DIY Canopy for my MH Pendant

I will be building a canopy of sorts for my RSM 130d. The purpose is primarily to keep the fingers and potentially foreign substances of my 4 year old out of the tank. I plan to leave the top open as the pendant is hanging from the ceiling currently and I think this will aid in heat removal...
  12. Poriferan

Chiller too big?

Are there any disadvantages for having a chiller that is rated well above your tank size?
  13. Poriferan

WTB Small Chiller

Need a 1/10hp or so, for a RSM 130 let me know if anyone is looking to get rid of one. Thanks, Charles
  14. Poriferan

Poriferan's New 130d Set up

Hello, I got my 1st salt water fish tank 18 years ago when the LFS was pushing under-gravel filters:smack: Worked in a LFS for a couple years and have done a 55 reef with fair success. A few years ago I decided, with my wife's help to get rid of all my tanks :cry1: Well after 3...