Search results

1. B

Return Pump Questions

Hello all, I have a Mag Drive 12 B utility pump acting as my return pump on my 65 gallon show tank, i love it it is quite and works great, however i am noticing that it is starting to loose its gusto. I clean it every two weeks and it works great, then starts to fade. My question is do i need...
  2. B

Almost reaching crisis mode

I thought about that, but if i we doing 5 gallons at a time, isnt that almost counter productive?
  3. B

that does help, ok getting to water changes 101. Do i have to worry about some of my corals being exposed to air if i do a large water change. Some i of xenia definitly will, ( its weed like right now and my LFS said i cant sell anymore to them for a while)
  4. B

Kind of dumb question with regards to water changes, if i have a lot of live rock do i factor that in with water changes. Is it possible that 5 gallons is more than 10% based on the amount of live rock i have?
  5. B

Yes it is the 2 part, i will post my results from testing tonight when i get home.
  6. B

Im using the Salt water Master Test kit, and a hydrometer
  7. B

I put carbon in last week, I do a 5 gallon water change every week and i dose with B-ionic every other day. I cannot tell you my specific numbers for my testing right now, i am at work. (As you can tell working really hard) My tank does not have huge temp swings, it goes from 79 to 82 so...
  8. B

Hello everyone, I have an interesting problem, i think i know the answer but i wanted to get more opionions on this. I have a 65 gallon tank, i just upgrades to some sweet LED lights, but before i got the lights my mushrooms and zoo's started disappareing. I have tested the water and i dont...
  9. B

I really need some help with lighting and protein skimmers

I have a 65 tall. I am using a 4X39' T5 system from Catalina Lights. I only have softies and a nem, but everything is happy. As far as a skimmer. All i can say is dont use a Berlin Skimmer. I have it and i think it is not working more than it is working. Sorry i cant give you an alternative, im...
  10. B

So easy it made me feel dumb

So i tried the water thing, nothing changed. I did stick a tooth pick down there and it seemed to suck a little more air in, but when i pulled the tooth pick out it went back to weak stream. Any thoughts?
  11. B

Well that was short lived, my skimmer is back to doing nothing. IO have no idea how i unclogged it, but now it seems to be clogged again!!!
  12. B

So i have a berlin skimmer for my 65 gallon, it never really collected much waste. There was a small votex in the chamber that wasnt doing much. Well it turns out that there was a clog in the intake tube (duh i know!) well i unclogged it and holy moly it works like a champ. Well the cup filled...
  13. B

Nem question i think i know the answer too

Hey guys, i think i know the answer to this but i just wanted to make sure. I have a 65 gallon tall tank with 4X36 T5 lights i purchased from Catalina lights. I have had two bubble tip Nems in my tank. The first one was doing great for about 6 months and then suddenly looks like its on its way...
  14. B

anyone from the extended bay area in california?

what part of sac do you live in?
  15. B

anyone from the extended bay area in california?

im from Sac, "your reef" is pretty sweet in roseville
  16. B

My overflow box is making a "gurgling" sound

This was a battle for me for a long time, to the piont i was about to swear off over flows and just go to cannister filters. Much like dmatt just stated, get an airtube, put it in the intake opening, this will allow air to come in and it will make it quite! Tape the airtube to the wall or...
  17. B

Porcupine Puffer

I had one when i was in college, he was awesome, he would come and greet me everytime i came near the tank. I loved the fact that when he would swim to feed it was almost like he had to power up before he swam. He shook his butt until he was able to finnaly start swimming. With that said, he...
  18. B

Help with understanding my anemone

I would read the blog posted above, its great for nems. While i do agree with what everyone said above and im sure this comment will get some flack, but i think you are doing fine with going to the fish store for water tests and advice. This is a great website and the members here are very...
  19. B

Airpumps

Im broke so i cant afford a chiller, but what i have found to be a very budgeted approach is freezing some water bottles and them sticking them in my sump when the tank gets too hot. While it does not work wonders it does help a little. Just food for thought for us poor people out there.
  20. B

Starting out

I can tell you from experience, you will never be happy with the size of your tank, you will get a nano then three months later you will want a bigger one and so on and so on. It doesnt stop, well until you get married then you just have to live with the tank she will let you have. There are...