Search results

1. N

Shy Duncan Coral

i've moved it around 3 times already and right now it's in a spot where it has little flow. My bulbs are only like 5 months old, and i do a water change bi weekly. i hope and think that maybe it's still getting used to it's surroundings. it opened very little today but closes up if anything...
  2. N

Shy Duncan Coral

hey guys, maybe i am being a bit impatient, but it has been 4 days since my duncan has opened up. All of my other corals are doing great ( green star polyps, and some button polyps). Two days ago it opened up very little and then all of a sudden it went back into it's tube. i'm not sure...
  3. N

Calcification

huh? What do you mean by lighting? I have 216 watts of light over my 55 gallon tank. Should i dose b ionic even if my alk and calc levels are high?
  4. N

Calcification

Thanks i will try that. I just want to get the chemistry right before i get some lps coral.
  5. N

Calcification

Hello once again! i have just converted from a fowlr tank to a reef tank. My system is a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I only have two fish a gold stripe maroone and a royal gramma. Corals are green star polyps, duncan coral, orange green button polyps and brown polyps. I feed every...
  6. N

Shy Duncan Coral

Thanks for the advice everyone. I caught my peppermint shrimp picking at the coral two nights ago when i fed it. It didn't fully open up the next day, but i think he is scared of the peppermint. Any suggestions on that?
  7. N

Q's Freshwater 75

Ha the green terror is dangerous. He didn't get that name for no reason...I had one a couple years back and he made life for my oscars and jack dempsey very hard. Nice tank though however, i would suggest that if two of the fish pair off then remove some less favorable fish, even the pleco...
  8. N

cloudy water?

koi's are big fish for a 29 gallon. How many fish and how big are they? Also when cleaning the gravel in a freshwater tank, you have to stick the gravel vaccum into the gravel itself. Also, clean out all the filters and replace the filter media. Is the water greenish or just white cloudy?
  9. N

Do zoanthids change color?

I have green orange zoas at the top of my tank..it's a 55gallon with 216 watts of light, is this good placement for them. It only has 9 polyps right now, will it grow that high in my tank?
  10. N

Shy Duncan Coral

ok great news, the main head has opened up and so have the two smaller ones. I placed them at the bottom of the tank in the sand...my only problem is how can i spot feed them, they are so low in the tank and i hate putting my hands in there. Anyways thank you to everyone for the info and...
  11. N

Shy Duncan Coral

Thankyou for all the responses. using my api reef test kit, alk is at 11dkh, calcium is at 500ppm. I do not have a magnesium test kit. i do however have some coralline growth but it is very slow. i also have b ionic but not dosing since the calcium and alkalinity are already pretty high. i...
  12. N

Shy Duncan Coral

hello everyone, I hope all is well. To begin with, i bought a duncan coral frag with one large head and two smaller ones about a week ago. It has never fully opened the way it was at the fish store. I was able to feed it twice already and it's not shy about eating. Tank Parameters: 55 gallon...
  13. N

Fluctuating nitrates

Ok i got my nitrates down to 5 ppm. Now my question is, how fast does it take for the nitrates to increase. I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 fish: maroon clown, bullet goby, sixline wrasse, royal gramma, and a yellow tang. I feed once a day thera A pellets, not a lot but just enough so my...
  14. N

Fluctuating nitrates

ok, well i did a series of water changes and the nitrates dropped to about 20. i am using the API test kit. today i checked the nitrates and they are at 80 ppm. Before i did any water changes, i took out all of the filter media and replaced with poly filter pads. Then i did a 50 percent water...
  15. N

Fluctuating nitrates

Thankyou soo much. I am also thinking that it could be my sandbed. the thing is i never really vaccum my sandbed because the sand is so light that it gets sucked up into the grave vaccum. If anyone has any tips on how to clean the sandbed please help me out. I have cleaned out my filter and...
  16. N

Fluctuating nitrates

what if i add another coralife 65 protein skimmer. I have one on there, but it was a gift and i know it is not enough for a 55. Do you think that adding another one will help with the nitrate problem. Also too, what kind of nitrate pads can i buy for my filter instead of using the carbon and...
  17. N

Fluctuating nitrates

ok, it's a 55 gallon tank. I do 5 gallon water changes every week. I had a clean up crew and they died over time. I had 6 turbo snails that died, some astreas, and when i had my coral banded shrimp, he would eat my hermits. How much water should i change out a week?
  18. N

Fluctuating nitrates

Hello everyone! Ok I am wanting to start a reef tank with softies. i would like to have mushroom coral in there first. my problem is, i have fluctuating nitrate problems. at first it was 20, then it jumped to 80 in a two week period. I have brown and green algae growing all over my tank...
  19. N

Starting a reef with anemones

Hello to all! I am thinking about going reef with anemones sometime next year. I would like to get all my information and certain myths cleared way before i go about it. Ok my tank is a 55 gallon fowlr with 50 pounds of live rock and a coralife super skimmer that is rated 125 gallons. my...
  20. N

What to do after copper treatment.

Thank you all for the good advice and for sharing your knowledge. So far the fish seem to be ok and i have stop the treatment. I got some live rock from my friend and a filter to i am going to put them in the qt after a 50% water change. i hope this starts the bio filtration. Thanks once...