Search results

1. L

lighting

Actually the new Nova Extremes do have individual reflectors. I have heard that they are better than the Nova Extreme Pro reflectors. Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures
  2. L

Heater Sizing Question

OK, thanks everyone.
  3. L

Heater Sizing Question

I'm looking for a heater for a 29 gallon tank. I am a Visi-therm Stealth fan, but we only have the 100 watt and the 200 watt here. The 100 is rated up to 30 gallons, which is kind of onl the line, so I am unsure, the 200 watt seems to big, any opinions?
  4. L

Live Rock? Salinity 1.016?

I just brought home some snails from the LFS and tested the water they came in, it was 1.014. That also were fish in tha series of tanks, and they seemed fine. The snails did fine after a rather slow acclimation.
  5. L

Changing To A Larger Tank

Thanks for the advice guys
  6. L

Changing To A Larger Tank

I have a 20 gallon long tank that I am going to upgrade to a 29. I'm kind of planning on changing everything at once, since I don't have to buy any new hardware because the tanks have the same footprint. The 20 long has been going for about a year, and the sand is mostly impacted, so I am...
  7. L

RO/DI System questions.

OK, thanks guys
  8. L

RO/DI System questions.

I am interested in what people are using for these systems. Standard Sediment filter, Carbon block, Membrane and DI? Or do you have an additional DI, or an additional Carbon block? Trying to figure out what to buy. Thanks.
  9. L

Using a RO

In saltwater, you put everything back in the ro/di water that is needed with the salt mix. In freshwater that does not happen. Ro water would not only be unhealthy for the fish, but you would not be able to grow any plants.
  10. L

RO/DI Question

Thanks Dave for the clarification. I have a second question. I have seen filter add ons desinged to remove chloramines. Is this really neccasary? or will any quality ro/di remove chloramines?
  11. L

RO/DI Question

Thanks
  12. L

RO/DI Question

All things being equal, will two RO/DI setups, that are exactly the same, except for one having a 50gpd membrane, and one having a 100gpd membrane, have equal water cleansing ability? I was wondering whether the membranes worked better with faster or slower flow, and also if the DI units would...
  13. L

Do You Run Nitrates?

I've never had any nitrate reading in my tank. What corals are seeming to do better with nitrates?
  14. L

reef tank

This is my opinion, others my disagree. Your probably not going to have much luck with 80ppm nitrates, and you don't have time to let a qt tank cycle. Get your qt tank parameters stable, put your fish to be treated in, and be prepared to do daily water changes to keep your water clean. Start...
  15. L

Converting to freshwater...

If you are going to have a planted tank, an you are running over 2 watts of light per gallon, you will probably have to have a co2 set up, and dose your tank with fertilizer 2 or 3 times a week, also a 50% weekly water change is called for. A high light tank is no less work than saltwater in my...
  16. L

ammonia

Get a new API liquid test kit, just to make sure.
  17. L

ammonia

Again, what kind of tests are you using. Either your test is wrong, or you are having a cycle for some reason. Where are you getting the water you are using for your water changes and top offs.
  18. L

ammonia

+ On the punctuation. Are you saying the tank has been set up for a year, and sat empty for 10 months, then you added the livestock over the last 2 months? What kind of ammonia test are you using, and what are your other readings.
  19. L

Low pH, High Ca

I don't think an 8.1 ph is going to cause you any problems.
  20. L

Using Purigen & Chemi-pure Elite

Any time I add new Chemi-Pur, or new filter pads, it shuts my skimmer down temporarily. It is usually going again the next day.