Search results

1. T

Anemone

I have these ugly brown ones that are on the sand bed. They are simple looking like an ugly rock anemone but smaller less than 1/2" diameter. When you try and remove then with tweezers they zip into the sand bed. They also seem to be able to move because if I place a rock over where they were it...
  2. T

Torch coral and tentacle length

I have a torch coral that is getting out of hand. It is a green and when I bought it it had tentacles of about 3-4" now they are at least twice that length. They keep get wrapped around items because of water flow and they twist around themselves because of length and movement of water. I...
  3. T

Christmas wrasse female to male

A friend is taking down his tank and offered me his fish. The only one that interested me was his Christmas wrasse. I think it is a female since it has the eye spot on the dorsal fin. But I have read they can change their sex. It is less than 6 months old and maybe 3" and looks like the pictures...
  4. T

Concerning wavemakers

I have a 120 and I want to put in either a vortech or tunze wavemakers. My question is in my tank, which is 4'x2'x2' I would need 2 vortech mp 40 or 2 tunze on a controller but I have a tunze 6060 which shoots 1600 gph and that is too much. I can not use it blows everything at the first few feet...
  5. T

Sunset montipora

I have a nice piece of sunset montipora that the normally orange base color is turning brown. The polyps are still green and come out and it is next to a rainbow monti that does not seem to be loosing any color. It is under 14k 250de Phoenix and has been in the same spot for awhile. Is this...
  6. T

Wavemakers

I am trying to decide on which is better. The vortech mp40, expensive and I think at 120 gal tank I would need 2 because of the aquascaping. A tunze wave box although the actual height of the wave worries me. I have read it can be 2-3" is this true? Or a redsea mavemaster w/4 of the new...
  7. T

Spider sponge

For awhile I wanted one but was afraid of getting one online since you can not be sure it never touched air in packaging/transit. My LFS got several in so I bought one. It is about 8" long with loads of the zoo type polyps. When I bought it all polyps were open. In my tank few open in day but at...
  8. T

Seahorses mated should I be sad

I have a pair that mated I really did not want that to happen but what can you do. I did not want then to mate since I do not know what to do with then once born. I have read the length of time could be a few weeks or longer depending on water my tank is at 74-76 degrees. But what I do not like...
  9. T

Found a problem w/monti cap

The edges seemed white on my bright orange monti cap so I looked on the underside and saw small white bugs with white hair like things waving in the current. Looked like a mealy bug you find on plants. So I pulled it and now it is in a dip. The price is somewhat large and not all can be dipped...
  10. T

Kalk dosing

I was going to install an ATO for my sump and I can across a kalk dosing kit which drips into sump at a set rate which states can also be a top off. My tank needs about 1 gallon a day in top off the kalk drip holds 5 gallons but if I understand the kalk mix can only be mixed a day early is this...
  11. T

Filter bags

This may seem stupid but not if you don't know. What size filter bags hold how much media. I know my bag size but mo idea how much media it holds.
  12. T

Wild caught seahorse training

I have 3 captive seahorses that eat frozen mysis. My lfs which I got the others from has 1 wild horse which eats live food. He had this horse for several weeks and said the group I have will train the wild to eat the frozen. Is this true? I would like this wild one even though I frown on the...
  13. T

Lunar eclipse zoanthids light

I just bought a small frag colony of them from my lfs. It is a nice colony of about 20 and they have very dark centers with the white mouth. They has several to choose from and some had very pale centers but the same bright orange skirt. Is there a lighting requirement that would keep the dark...
  14. T

Corals touching

I have a branching hammer and a bubble, l think it is the type they call dragon's bain. Can they touch? Also I have a orange crush acan which has killed s number of small frag corals when it was on a frag rack. It is now too big for that and on the bottom. I though I had it far enough away from...
  15. T

Sexing flasher wrasse

I just bought a flasher wrasse. I think it is the yellowtail flasher. It has the high fin in the center top fin. Does the female also have this fin? Also if a male would it flash only if courting or depending on mood, hoping for the later.
  16. T

Chiller w/heater oulet

I am finishing moving into a larger tank now it will be attaching my chiller. The chiller has a heater outlet and when I bought it about a year ago it mentioned something about adjusting the temp on heater. I think it was slightly different then just setting it stand alone. I do not have the...
  17. T

Catching wrasse

I have been trying to catch this six line with a net. For those who know wrasses save the laughing. I can not take tank rocks out. Will some type of trap work? I see them advertised but a wrasse is not your average fish in search of food.
  18. T

Seahorse problem

I have 4 seahorses a black and yellow pair. The smallest of all is the female black. She is about 1.5" not including tail. The others are twice her size. She always ate the most at feedings. The last few days she would not eat and would just stay in the same spot. This AM she was at top of tank...
  19. T

Six line wrasse

Can u put 2 six lines in same tank. I have a 120 deep.
  20. T

Clicking sound inside in tank

I recently setup my new tank and all that is in there is live rock. I hear clicking sounds at night. I think it may be a mantis since I have not seen any sand shifting from a pistol shrimp. How can I catch this thing. I have heard too many horror stories. Is there anything else it could be like...