Search results

1. MountainFish

Freshwater Native BioTope Take

I've been solicited by a local school to help on a freshwater tank project. They were donated a 200g tank with pretty much all the equipment to set it up. It even has a large 1/2 HP chiller. In an effort to make the project educational for the students, I'm hoping to set up the system as...
  2. MountainFish

My DYI Sump - Need Advice

So I got my sump set up. Took me a while but its finally done... now the trick is getting everything in balance. I've had it up for about a week and the problems come from the balance between water levels in the DT and the sump tank. I just can't seem to get the valve at a point where the...
  3. MountainFish

T5 Life-Span

yea i'm not smart enough to do an over-drive quite yet! thanks Al!!!
  4. MountainFish

T5 Life-Span

I remember reading somewhere that T5's only have a life span of about 6 months before they start to depreciate and lose light penetration. I was reading the lighting sticky and it doesn't mention this either way. Just looking for confirmation since my T5's are about 5 months old now. Thanks!
  5. MountainFish

Hey there!!! So its been a while, I've gotten really busy this fall and haven't had much time to concentrate on the sump/refugium. I came up with this idea the other day because the new skimmer I want to get won't really leave much room for a refugium all in one tank... so i'm gonna through...
  6. MountainFish

question about pvc plumbing adhesives

I asked the same question last week and didn't get much of a response, but I did go into home depot this past weekend and I found some Low VOC PVC cement that I'm going to try and use when I put my plumbing together in a couple weeks. Just a suggestion since I haven't tried it yet... but I'm...
  7. MountainFish

Brown Diatom in substrate

wouldn't adding sand sifting gobies to the tank just deplete a virgin copepod population in a new tank?
  8. MountainFish

55 gallon sump/fuge work in progress

Great info BlakeJohn!
  9. MountainFish

Live rock/Live sand ||| and a filter question

Why can't you go inbetween 2" sand bed and a 4" sand bed?
  10. MountainFish

fish tank lid

check petsolutions.com too, they have lots of glass hoods
  11. MountainFish

Filter system for a 30 gallon?

Look for a skimmer that is rated at twice your tank size... so look for something around 60 gal tank rating... there are product reviews on this forum... check those out, the Remora is a nice one.
  12. MountainFish

this filter

yea don't waste your time or money on that thing if it's not an RO system, you need it to remove more than dust, etc.... you need it to remove the heavy metals, chlorine, phosphates, and nitrates that city's often put in their water
  13. MountainFish

Button Polyp ID Please!

Need an ID on these button polyps... they were on a piece of live rock I got from a friend.
  14. MountainFish

Also, anybody have an easy way to calculate the flow rates determined by the height of the baffles in the sump.... I'm trying to figure out how to determine the heights for the baffles... The overflow box is 300 gph and my return will be the same after pump+head pressure from height. I'm...
  15. MountainFish

How much end space for baffles?

What kind of dimensions are you guys using to figure out the verticle heights for the baffles... In my current place I've got the first baffle 1.5" higher than the second in my bubble trap that leads to the return chamber... is that enough or should I make the second baffle even shorter... like...
  16. MountainFish

So i'm getting ready to plumb the PVC piping and I was hoping someone could offer some insight on PVC pipe glue... I'm wondering if there is a special non-toxic kind of pipe adhesive that I can get... all the ones I can find at the local plumbing stores are for industrial uses and i'm pretty...
  17. MountainFish

just woke up today and found this....help me out???

ya just have to be patient... my nars snail only comes out where i can see him like once or twice a month... that just makes it all the cooler!
  18. MountainFish

Help Quick!!!! My fish got ICK!!!!

so I came home on Tuesday to find my large domino damsel covered in little white spots... super lame!!! so I tried to catch him but suprise! little thing is a pretty good hider!! I've been keeping an eye on him and came home yesterday to find the smaller of the two domino damsels has ICK as...
  19. MountainFish

oh sweet, yea i never though of using a bucket... although i'm not sure how the overflow box will sit on a bucket so I might have to get a rubbermaid tub or something... I've got a 300g/h overflow and my pump is rated at 550g/h but it'll have to pump up like 3'-9" so the flow will be right...