Search results

1. D

Killing Aiptasia with electricity

Does the device prevent the release of planula? Has this issue been studied?
  2. D

Sorry I almost forgot - does the death of the parent aiptasia by electricity prevent the release of planula which according to what I've read can happen at times of stress
  3. D

I'm uncertain about the product availability. Can it be bought from the "rightful" owner (i.e. inventor) now? and if so how and for how much? Thanks, John
  4. D

Would it work on bristle worms if you could get to them before they get away?
  5. D

Paint safe for tank?

I'm making an algae scrubber and want to paint the inside of the container white in order to reflect light better. I also may want to paint white PVC a darker color for cosmetics. Are paints generally marine environment safe when completely dry? Are there any that are not? Thanks.
  6. D

whitish coating on rock

Boomer, after reading the link I believe you are right. Thanks
  7. D

Need book recommendation on corals

I need good book(s) on corals or on inverts in general. I have a fish only tank now and am at the point where I want to delve into inverts other than what I have growing naturally on the LR. I am the type of person who reads up thoroughly on any field of interest and am at that point now. I'd...
  8. D

whitish coating on rock

It appears to remain about the same size. Are there algaes that are whitish? I thought they all have some sort of pigment.
  9. D

whitish coating on rock

I've found a thin coating of a translucent white web-like material on my live rock. It resembles something that a land insect would produce. When I tug on it with a pointy object it starts to pull up off the rock like a silky cocoon material would. If its any help it's close to a small anemone...
  10. D

Need help in selecting a light fixture

I am about to purchase a lighting fixture for my 150 gallon. right now it's a fish only but I am about to start with corals. My lfs can get only Current or Coralife. I am considering: 1. Coralife, Aqualight Pro - 3x150w MH, 2x96W compact fluor., 4x1w led 2. Current, Outer Orbit - 3x150w MH...
  11. D

Basic water purification questions by newbie

I am in the market for water purification but am trying to become an informed consumer first. It seems that the best system from what I've read is an RO/DI. However I don't really like the idea of wasting our most valuable resource and correct me if I'm wrong but RO systems can waste 90-95% of...
  12. D

Tang color change

I guess you got it - sounds like mad to me. He's appears to be in great shape and eats well. Decisions, decisions.
  13. D

Tang color change

Does anyone have an idea why a sailfin tang would suddenly turn noticeably darker, actually blacker overnight? The only change was increased water movement and aeration following the addition of a powerhead and spray bar the night before. His aggression toward my Moorish Idol ( I know, I know)...
  14. D

New Moorish Idol

I didn't quite understand it that way. My impression was that getting it to eat was the hard part. I just assumed that once it was eating the hard part was over. What else makes it "one of the most difficult to keep"? Anyway I guess I'm committed to do my best to keep it happy so I will. Thanks
  15. D

New Moorish Idol

I am new to the the salt water side of the hobby. I have a 150 gallon, fish only right now with plans to slowly get into corals. I have a sailfin tang which was the first one in and just acquired a Moorish Idol. Having read up on the feeding concerns I made sure it was eating in the store. It is...
  16. D

newbie's first post

Hi, I'm rather new to the salt water side. What I've learned so far is that there is a lot to learn. I'm starting with 150 gallon tank that I've had unused for 25 years. I've accumulated my live rock from two separate individuals who were getting out of the hobby. One of which who made the...