Search results

1. Q

2 fish and 1 shrimp DEAD due to faulty heater

Crappy day. Didn't notice the water had got so hot until I stuck my hand in to get the veggie clip out to feed my tang. 90 degrees. Apparently, the thermostat on one of the two Rena Cal heaters and it never shutoff when it reached the set temp. So now I'm down to one fish and a handful of...
  2. Q

Naso Tang not eating his veggies

Hey y'all, I picked up a Naso Tang the other day. He's eating meaty foods just fine but won't touch any of the Seaweed Selects Green or Brown algae. I've tried soaking it in some Entice too. I want to make sure he get's his veggies so he'll stay healthy. Any ideas? Thanks David
  3. Q

Breeding Clown fish

Well, since my two clowns have apparently paired up, I'm setting up a separate tank for them. I figure it will be better for all involved. The other fish won't be stressed from the clowns being so territorial and the clowns will have a less stressful environment in which to spawn. That being...
  4. Q

ARRGH! Something ate the tail fin off of my jawfish!

Got home from dinner to find my Pearl Jawfish hiding behind the overflow tank. Upon closer inspection, I notice that his tail fin is gone! WTH? I guess we have a whodunnit. Could it be the Damsel that has been flicking sand on the Jawfish with it's tail? (BTW I notice the damsel is doing this...
  5. Q

Damsel messing with Jawfish?

Hey y'all, I just recently added a Pearly Jawfish and I think he's finally settled on where he wants his burrow to be. I've got a Blue Damsel (yeah bad idea I know) left over from cycling the tank over a year ago. The Damsel will occasionally go over to the Jawfish's burrow and use it's tail to...
  6. Q

Yellow Tang not eating, color change

Hey y'all. I just noticed my yellow tang isn't eating today and there's some red around his lips. His sides also look different. They're normally really smooth but I can see a horizontal line that I don't recall noticing before and there are vertical ripples. Water parameters to follow. All of...
  7. Q

Cleaner Shrimp MIA

I haven't seen my cleaner shrimp since Saturday. I did see what was either a molted exo or, his carcass. I've never seen him take so long to molt. As a matter of fact, when he's molted before I've never missed him and the only way I knew that he molted was if I'd find the exoskeleton he had just...
  8. Q

Trying to ID a starfish

Hey y'all. Just got home and noticed a white spot on the inside of the glass on my tank so I went over to check it out. It looks to be some sort of starfish and has 7 legs. It's only about 3/8" in diameter, white on the bottom and the top is sort of a mottled brown. I would post pics, but...
  9. Q

Play Sand?

Has anyone ever used this in a marine tank? I've got a 20T I'm going to set up as a QT tank and it has play sand in it that I used on a freshwater setup. I know I don't have to have any substrate for a QT tank but, I figure if it's ok to use for salt water, why not?
  10. Q

Yellow Tang Agressive toward Unicorn

OK, I know some of y'all are going to give me a hard time about having more than one Tang per tank but, I read as long as they are different body shapes, it should be ok. All of a sudden, this past week, I've noticed that my yellow is sort of bullying my unicorn tang. The unicorn has a mark...
  11. Q

How often do y'all top off?

Since I've been running my sump, it seems like I have to top off a lot more often. I was topping off maybe once a week before but now I have to top off every 3 or 4 days to keep the return pump from running dry. I'm guessing this is because of the increased surface area (more room to evaporate)...
  12. Q

Duster left it's tube

Crown is still attached but he's just kinda hanging out near some LR, still moving. I've read about one person on here putting them back in their tube. I wouldn't mind just leaving him alone and let him build another tube, if the hermits will leave him alone.............
  13. Q

Unicorn Tang

Picked one of these up today at the LFS. I went in for a Blue Tang but their prices were off the scale on those (two to three times what I can mail order for). I almost went with a Yellow Tang, but the Unicorns personality won me over. The sales dude failed to mention that they get up to 24" in...
  14. Q

Aquarium safe water change containers

Ok, I know I should probably save up for something that is "food grade" but I figured why spend the money if I don't have to. Shouldn't just about all plastics be safe? I can get like a 30 gallon black plstic trash can for less than $10 at the dollar store. What say ye more seasoned marine people?
  15. Q

Hermits Dangerous to Feather Duster?

I posted this on a different forum but haven't heard anything back soooooo.. I picked up a FD yesterday, acclimated it and planted it in the live sand. This was about 15:00 est and it's now 09:55 and it still hasn't emerged. The hermits were all over it yesterday but didn't appear to do any...
  16. Q

Hermits dangerous to Feather Duster?

I picked up a FD today and the hermits will not leave it alone! They don't appear to be doing any damage so far, maybe cleaning off the tube? Figured I'd check, had the urge to run them off with an algae scrubber, but, I'm sure they'd probably return. Can they do any real damage?
  17. Q

How long does PVC glue need to dry?

I used the Oatey stuff in the green can (heavy duty) the can says it cures in 2 hours, but, I want to be sure before I put it into service. I've read on this and other forums anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours. Thanks David
  18. Q

Check Valve on return from sump?

Are these worth messing with? I would think they might restrict the water flow a little? I'm getting ready to redo the return side of my setup and there's a check valve currently in place but, I thought I'd use a siphon break instead as I've heard the check valves can fail.
  19. Q

Moving heater from DT to Sump?

Hey y'all, just got my sump cranked up and going yesterday. I want to move the heater to the sump. I currently have a smaller heater in the sump that I was using to keep the water in the sump warm while I gave it a day or two to age before putting the sump into service. The DT is a 120 with a...
  20. Q

Emerald Crab Molting?

Hey y'all, I picked up a couple of emeralds this weekend and both appeared to be doing fine until last night, I noticed the larger of the two on it's back. I figured maybe it had fallen off of the LR and needed some help getting back upright so, I grabbed an algae scrubber, got it...