Search results

1. J

Solana Filtration Question

I posted this in the nano forum but maybe the beginner is a better forum for this. I have removed all of the bio-ball bags from the rear middle chamber of my Solana. I did this over the course of a few water changes. I only have 2 fish and a good amount of LR so I am not worried that...
  2. J

Solana Filtration Question

I have removed all of the bio-ball bags from the rear middle chamber of my Solana. I did this over the course of a few water changes. I only have 2 fish and a good amount of LR so I am not worried that removing them will remove a large percentage of my biological filtration. I placed a...
  3. J

Is there a need for Phosban?

I have a 34 gal. Solana. I use Chemi-Pure Elite. I am slowly remove the bio-media bags. I have 2 fish for now, some corals and a small CUC ( too small, I am going to lfs to pick up more this week ). I use the stock skimmer, which has a small amount of bio-balls in it, but will be replacing that...
  4. J

Looking for advice on low cost tds meter

I make about 5 to 10 gal. of RO/DI water a week with a Coralife Pure-Flo II 4 stage unit. I would like to test to make sure it is working effectively and to know when it is time to get new cartridges. Any advice on a tds meter? Thanks!
  5. J

Royal Gramma Jumped

I have a Solana with an egg crate cover. Tonight I installed an Aqua Chef because I am planning on going on vacation and wanted to test it for the next few days. I only say this to present any changes in my tank. Tonight I went out for dinner and drinks and when I came home I saw a reddish...
  6. J

Beginner Coral Placement Confusion

I think I need reef 101. I have bought a few corals and they seem to be doing great, which is good. But all I've done to place them is mix up a glob of epoxy and glue the frag to the epoxy and then put the epoxy glob on LR in my tank. This works but looks like I put a piece of rock on my...
  7. J

Saphire Aquatics vs. Tunze for Solana

I have been using the stock skimmer but 2 things have lead me to wanting to get a replacement skimmer for my Solana. One thing is how loud it is! I had it turned off for a few hours and it was as if the tank was 75% quieter. But the more pressing reason is that yesterday I did a more thorough...
  8. J

Replacing Bio-Balls in Solana?

I have been thinking of replacing the bio-balls in my Solana. I have a few simple questions. Just for info sake I use chemi-pure elite. I currently have 3 fish, 4 corals ( may add a couple more next week ) and a CUC. The tank was set up in early March. There is 40 lbs. of LR and 30 lbs. of LS...
  9. J

Iodine and Test Results

Last night I did a 10% water change in a 34 gal. Solana. Using the water that I siphoned out I tested for pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. All were good. Tonight I did the following tests using tank water that I pulled from the tank tonight, so it is post water change. My thinking is that it...
  10. J

Some Simple Questions

These should ( hopefully ) be simple questions. Is Windex safe for cleaning the outside of my tank? Why should I clean my filter pad in tank water? I see it recommended that I clean filter pads, and bio-balls, in the tank's waste water. But could you use RO/DI water? I'm guessing you use...
  11. J

Near Flood, I think

Last night I'm sitting at home eating my dinner and I hear the auto-topoff in my Solana dripping for a long time and getting louder. I go over to the tank and noticed that the level of the water in the tank is rising and the level in the rear middle chamber and the chamber by the return pump is...
  12. J

How hard can I try to remove a snail

I have some Astraea snails and I wanted to move one from the wall of my tank to the top of some algae filled rocks. When I pulled he would not let go but I was afraid to pull too hard. Is it possible for me to pull him so hard that I would kill him? Thanks!
  13. J

Algae, Coral Feeding and lots of confusion

First of all, let me introdue my tank: 34 gal. Solana 40 lbs. of LR 30 lbs. of LS 150 W MH Pendant It has been 7 1/2 weeks since I set the tank Livestock: 1 Royal Gamma, seems happy and healthy ( almost 3 weeks ) 1 Green Mushroom Coral, was vibrant and full for first week then...
  14. J

Cleaning off Glue

I bought some rubber tubing for siphoning at HD. It has glue on it from the tape they use to coil it. What is the safest way to clean off the glue?
  15. J

When to do 1st water change

I've had a fish and coral in my 34 gal. Solana since Saturday. I have some algae so I bought a small CUC, a Sally lightfoot and 3 nassarius snails. My test numbers have been good, testing every other day. My plan was to do a 10% water change on Friday night or Saturday. My LFS recommended...
  16. J

Little Blue Spheres, Green Mushroom Coral

Last night I noticed these little blue spheres or disks in my tank ( 34 gal. Solana ). It confused me but they filtered out. I later looked again and noticed a small glob of these bals coming out of the mouth of my green mushroom coral. There appeared to be a mucus like substance surrounding it...
  17. J

Heat issues in a Solana

After I put my 1st fish in I decided to cover the Solana because it's a royal gramma and I hear they jump. The cover is the glass one that it comes with. I'm using the 150 W MH pendant that came with the tank. The first few days my max temp was under 81' but now it is climbing and even this...
  18. J

When to get a CUC

I have a 34 gal. Solana that has been set up for 5 weeks. There is 40 lbs. of LR and 30 lbs. of LS. I just put in 1 royal gamma and a green mushroom coral on Saturday. Recently I started putting the lights on every day ( 150 W MH pendant ) for 11 hours a day. My tests are as follows, temp =...
  19. J

My 1st Fish - WooHoo! Funny story and question.

Yesterday I went to my LFS with a water sample and bought my first fish, a Royal Gramma. I also bought a Green Mushroom Coral. 1st the funny story: So I drive home carefully and take the fish bag out and he looks dead! I'm in disbelief, he was so vivacious in the LFS ( they have a great...
  20. J

Any need to age RO/DI water?

If I mix salt into water with a strong power head for a couple of hours do I need to age the water?