Search results

1. J

Solana Filtration Question

I posted this in the nano forum but maybe the beginner is a better forum for this. I have removed all of the bio-ball bags from the rear middle chamber of my Solana. I did this over the course of a few water changes. I only have 2 fish and a good amount of LR so I am not worried that...
  2. J

Solana Filtration Question

I have removed all of the bio-ball bags from the rear middle chamber of my Solana. I did this over the course of a few water changes. I only have 2 fish and a good amount of LR so I am not worried that removing them will remove a large percentage of my biological filtration. I placed a...
  3. J

it bites

Doesn't he know I'm the guy who feeds him? Without me, no food, water or light. These clowns have no respect! My clownfish started this type of behavior about a month ago. I did the same thing that the OP did, splashed a bunch of water of the floor. Of course I was trying to just get the WC...
  4. J

Is there a need for Phosban?

Thanks for the info on flake food.
  5. J

Thanks for the replies. So assuming I practice good habits, i.e. weekly 10% WC, don't overfeed, use chemi-pure elite, use skimmer, etc. Plus not go fish crazy. Then I can have just chemi-pure elite in my rear center chamber? I know some people use chaeto, but with chemi-pure elite it sounds...
  6. J

I have a 34 gal. Solana. I use Chemi-Pure Elite. I am slowly remove the bio-media bags. I have 2 fish for now, some corals and a small CUC ( too small, I am going to lfs to pick up more this week ). I use the stock skimmer, which has a small amount of bio-balls in it, but will be replacing that...
  7. J

Aiptasia plagues...

I seem to always have one or 2 aiptasia. One keeps re-apearing in the same spot, but it's a tough spot to hit with aiptasia-x. I kill it and then another one appears a week or 2 later. I asked my lfs about peppermint shrimp and they said that they will eat certain types of corals.
  8. J

Looking for advice on low cost tds meter

Thanks, it sounds like the one to get.
  9. J

Looking for advice on low cost tds meter

I make about 5 to 10 gal. of RO/DI water a week with a Coralife Pure-Flo II 4 stage unit. I would like to test to make sure it is working effectively and to know when it is time to get new cartridges. Any advice on a tds meter? Thanks!
  10. J

Hydrometer vs Refractometer

I just bought a refractometer. I feel so accurate!
  11. J

Beginner Coral Placement Confusion

This is good info. Thanks!
  12. J

What is the easiest way to remove the coral from the plug? Obviously I want to be gentle with the coral. But I probably need some force to break the plug.
  13. J

Royal Gramma Jumped

I had read that royal grammas will jump and I had the egg crate top. But he just got unlucky and jumped through a hole. He would sometimes hang out by the rear corner. My guess is he got startled by something. Thanks for the kind words all.
  14. J

Royal Gramma Jumped

I have a Solana with an egg crate cover. Tonight I installed an Aqua Chef because I am planning on going on vacation and wanted to test it for the next few days. I only say this to present any changes in my tank. Tonight I went out for dinner and drinks and when I came home I saw a reddish...
  15. J

Feedback on Solana 34 gallon systems~

Solana Stock Skimmer Update: I looked into what I was doing with the height of the cup. I had it way too high. I think I know why I had it too high. A few weeks ago I had a lot of wet skim, so much that I could not get the cup low enough to put my Azoo fans in place. Well that turned out to be...
  16. J

I also had the skimmer break on the sides. When I get the sapphire I'm going to fully clean the stock skimmer, soak it in vinegar and fix the side. I will admit that I probably do not have the height adjusted correctly.
  17. J

I think I need reef 101. I have bought a few corals and they seem to be doing great, which is good. But all I've done to place them is mix up a glob of epoxy and glue the frag to the epoxy and then put the epoxy glob on LR in my tank. This works but looks like I put a piece of rock on my...
  18. J

I am a relative newbie and a Solana owner. I can't comment on how loud the skimmer is because it is my first tank, although it does seem loud, but I find that it is a pain to adjust and I have to re-adjust it frequently. Just this week it started producing a lot of micro-bubbles so I have to...
  19. J

How long till i can add newly mixed salt water?

What's the best way to adjust pH of your new SW to match the tank's water?
  20. J

Battery Backup For Pump

I have a 34 gal. Solana. I have the stock pump, 2 Koralia nanos and a Koralia 1. In the case of an emergency could I survive for a day on just the pump? I would think so based on the size of the tank.