Search results

1. newreefguy

SELLING everything!

I have come to realize that I do not enjoy this hobby any more.. Its become a job. Honestly Im just sick of having all this water around. I plan to keep the pico of my moms and test kits are going to her.. I mean everything must go. I have a 55 gallon display, with 15 gallon sump... 48" HO...
  2. newreefguy

RO/DI phosphates

hey guys, Im needing a little advice... I bought a coralife 3 stage RO/DI setup A couple weeks ago. It has one micron pre filter... the problem I am having is this. Im still getting phosphates after my RO/DI setup. The incoming water is showing a level of .5 after ro it...
  3. newreefguy

vitamin C

I have been told by a reputable source that vitamin C helps a lot with zoanthid growth and coral health in general. While I believe him, I would like to know if it makes THAT much difference? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
  4. newreefguy

switching from flake to algae?

Hello again my friends... I have been looking around and found a few suggestions but none have worked... so I thought id put it to the experts. Ok I have a regal tang... about 2" long, my question is how can I get him to start eating from the clip... he's not putting two and two together. He...
  5. newreefguy

regal tang

Ok...I know some about ich and its life cycle. My concern is this... I have a regal tang that has white LINES on it... they almost look like something has bit it, there's no flesh missing, Just color. Can ich be linear? Or is it somthing else.. The fish acts normal eating fine not rubbing on...
  6. newreefguy

north carolina folks?

Just a curious post, I'd like to see how many of you out there are from my neck of the woods... allen (bigal07) is from around here...Im from asheville, leicester to be exact. Well ... :-)
  7. newreefguy

brass fittings ruin liverock?

Hello, Like a moron I didn't think about brass being a copper alloy So when I used it to plumb my return line (3 barbed fittings) I didn't Think anything of it... now I learned this is a bad thing. Im going home Tonight and test for amount of copper in system. Up until today I...
  8. newreefguy

best brand t5s

Two of my 10K bulbs went out and thinking about upping the kelvin rating.. Maybe 20k... bulb suggestions? Im wanting to have anemones,clams and zoas. Right now I have/had 3 10k daylight and 3 460 nm actinics.... so lets hear the oppinions.
  9. newreefguy

could it be?

This stuff is on my live rock.. thinking its coraline but not sure... its hard it won't scrape off with fingernail, its giving my rocks a green tint. Can anyone post a pic of coraline forming.... its also on the bleached coraline that was on the rock when I bought it... any ideas of what else...
  10. newreefguy

great copepod link

This is a link I found looking around at copepod breeding for a mandarin... lots of info, simple breeding setup. Ocean Pods: FAQ
  11. newreefguy

hatching brine shrimp??

I want a mandarin and to have him I've gotta build up pod populations in fuge (working on it...) I have roughly 65 lbs Lr in 55 gal, now my question is this. I read this in a thread through google search and wanted to know if this hatching method is truth or bs.... "Manny (my mandarin)...
  12. newreefguy

ammo chips?

I still have trace amounts of ammonia (not to .25 but above 0) Anyway my question is do ammo chips WORK ? I've been having this trouble for a while I've looked through the tank sand and filters for dead critters and there is None to be found.trated and trites 0. I can't figure it out.... the...
  13. newreefguy

zoa placement

I bought a bunch of zoas from ekr , they're still acclimating to my lights... (6x54w 460 nm actinic 10k daylight 3 of each... in 55 gal 20.25"*13.75"*48" ... so where should I try to put them? Up high, med,sand?
  14. newreefguy

acan dead?

I have an acan that is loosing it colors and you can see the underlying skeleton Maybe a stupid question but is it dying/dead? Should I wait to see if it comes back Or should I take it out...
  15. newreefguy

acan help...

I have a couple questions about acan corals... first what is the slime that comes out when you put them in tank after acclimating? I believe its the feeding tentacles? But would the tentacles STAY out or is that its photosynthetic algae? If it is the tentacles would a power head blow them...
  16. newreefguy

circ pumps...

I have a koralia 4 (1200 gph) and koralia 2 (600 gph) in 55 gallon reef is this to much?
  17. newreefguy

ammonia from salt?

Ok... here's the deal. im getting trace amounts of ammonia... between 0-0.25 ppm in dt, here's the part im not understanding.... in the water I mix up for water changes, it also has this level of nh3.... (I mix in empty 15 gallon glass aquarium) With a power head in it.... params are as...
  18. newreefguy

what is the max temp swing

I know you want to keep temp as close to constant as possible but But what is the max temp differance that a tank can take... is it from Like 78 to 84 or 78 to 80... I read a lot of the temp related but didn't read anything about this and it seems to me that this would be the most important...
  19. newreefguy

enough lighting...

Ok, so today I took down my 15 gal fresh tank and went to the TAA and bought TWO "coralife mini compact fluorescent 50/50 20 watts" at 10000k Would this be enough for a fuge?
  20. newreefguy

Your Favorite Pics

I've spent a lot of time looking through the picture pages and im curious Lets see your favorite pics of anything aquarium related.... :thumber: