Search results

1. Smiley1

I also have a sump design question....

i like it... looks nice....you might want your baffles a little taller to allow you more volume in the return area. you can always add something under your pump to lessen the maximum volume allowed to go to the display tank in case your drain plugs.
  2. Smiley1

Dent's DIY Sump, fuge concern, help please!

the reason some people make their return area small is the fact that if something plugs your overflow, your return pump will run dry before it floods your house.
  3. Smiley1

What's a good RO/DI unit?

I have this one as well as I know many that have the same and all have been extremely happy with it. 75 GPD RO/DI 4 Stage Standard System - English
  4. Smiley1

Sand beds

some people even put eggcrate or something on the glass to place the rocks upon... then add sand...
  5. Smiley1

Please Help - Red Slime Algae keeps coming back :(

ceriths, astreas, and nerite snails all do great jobs with algae too. Mexican Turbos just knock **** over.
  6. Smiley1

BRAND new to Saltwater - Need all sorts of help! =)

go bare bottom with no sand....get a good skimmer..... and an ro unit.........people can chime in and tell you why.
  7. Smiley1

Please critique my sump design

evaporation rate is about a gallon a day... i top mine off about every 3 days. As for building your return area bigger....it really depends on how much volume you can put into your DT without it flooding. To figure that out, find out where the water level is in your DT during normal...
  8. Smiley1

Please critique my sump design

heres an image of my sump i built using a 55g. The fuge is half of the tank to take advantage of the center brace and my 24" light fixture. If you notice, there is an extra panel after the fuge with a slot open about 2 inches ff the bottom... this allows for any sediment to fall into that area...
  9. Smiley1

Smileys Reef

wow... havent updated this in a long time.... heres a quick pic from a month ago. I'll go take some new pics and get this updated.
  10. Smiley1

newby asking RO/DI questions

75 GPD RO/DI 4 Stage Standard System - English best one ive found for the money...
  11. Smiley1

Tips to avoid leaks or flood in FOWLR tank

you can also do some math and figure out how much extra volume your DT can handle if your overflow plugs. Then make sure the volume of your return pump area does not exceed that amount.
  12. Smiley1

simple question about acrylic rods

check out Tap Plastics
  13. Smiley1

question on replacing the silicone

easiest and best way..... remove top brace...... take razorblade and scrape off all silicon.... no need to take panes apart.... dont remove the silicon between the panes either... leave it.... once you get it all scraped off, take some acetone on a rag and thoroughly clean all seams..... get...
  14. Smiley1

My DYI Sump - Need Advice

here is my original plan but after much research and ideas from many people, i came up with what you see below it. it works really well and you can adjust the flow to your fuge and your skimmer.
  15. Smiley1

Name our Business

Reef Mechanics Reef Made/Maid Reefers Paradise Maintain-A-Reef Fishes Home Reefmasters
  16. Smiley1

Tank move did not go well

only thing i can think of is that white powder that guy was blowing was fertilizer or pesticide. In that case, I am surprised your stuff even lasted a day.
  17. Smiley1

Emergency! Fish Cant Control Bouyancy

im surprised nobody said a thing about temperature swing in the tank as well as with your WC...remember not to allow a swing of over 2 degrees in less that an hour.
  18. Smiley1

What are your laziest habits?

i think i top off my tank about once a week.... usually about 2 gallons of RO. I also do WC once a month of 25%. I might test twice a month to make sure everything is running stable. But i'll tell ya this much. since I switched over to my lazy mode, my tank has done sooo much better than...
  19. Smiley1

sand bed

1 to 2" although some people prefer deeper and some people prefer none at all. I have 2" in my 55g
  20. Smiley1

what's your best kept reef keeping secret?

pickling lime, baking soda, vinegar, and epsom salts