Search results

1. A

Margarita snails

Can I get some opinions on margarita snails? I have an issue with hair algae as well as other types, and am trying to isolate the problem. I have cut back on feeding and am adjusting water changes, etc., to try and clear it up. I have read that these snails are prolific algae eaters and was...
  2. A

Salt - Which is best?

I currently purchase 200 gallon mix buckets of oceanic sea salt. I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best salt out there. Is there really a difference in quality?
  3. A

Skimmer ? Please help if you can

I purchased a nano bio cube protein skimmer a few months ago and put it away because I had trouble with it. I installed this in my 12 gallon eclipse tank and hope it will work. I put it in there as there is more room in the cover and it fits well with the cup out of the water. However, I...
  4. A

salt got hard

this may be a stupid question but . . . i bought a bucket of salt and it must have gotten wet because now its hard. i would like to break the salt without ruining the bucket. i've tried to break it but it is very difficult. does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this problem?
  5. A

Clown or Bicolor

I have a tank that has been set up for awhile now. It currently has a cardinal and a fire shrimp. I am interested in adding either a green clown goby or a bicolor blenny, but am not sure which is better to add. It is a 12 gallon aquapod with liverock and star polyps. Anyone have a...
  6. A

bubble making black cap basset?

I have a black cap basset (Scholar) who does something strange. He goes behind the chaeto, comes back out and blows bubbles. They actually look like a smoke ring. :lookaroun Any idea if this is normal? He doesn't seem to be acting otherwise unusual. He actually seems to be enjoying it.
  7. A

Banjo's booboo

I have a cardinal which has been doing wonderful in a tank with a purple dottyback, until the past 3 days. I noticed the cardinal (banjo) was sticking around the lower part of the tank near the frogspawn. He acted depressed. I did a 20% water change to see if that would help, but he still...
  8. A

clown goby

I have a clown goby who I have had for awhile now. Probably about 2 months. He lives in the 12 gallon with a cardinal and has been doing very well until now. I have noticed the past week that he is getting incredibly thin and almost skeletal like. He has eaten quite well, but I haven't been...
  9. A

skunk

Hi all. I have recently had a skunk get injured and crawl under my enclosed porch to die. Unfortunately, he sprayed many times before he died. I got him out from under there, but the house is horrible with the smell. We have done all we can to get the smell out, but it still lingers...
  10. A

cleaning test tubes

I have several test tubes for water tests which have salt built up in the inside. We didn't realize they were sitting around for awhile until this morning. I emptied them and rinsed them out, using a pipe cleaner to scrub the inside. There is still salt stuck inside them which I cannot get...
  11. A

Grandma to a leather

I have a toadstool leather that has grown rather huge. The base of it is about 2 inches and it is gorgeous. I peeked in today to find it has moved part of the base away from the rock it is on and there is a baby there! I don't know if the large piece will move completely off the rock now or...
  12. A

Sand snail eat peppermint?

Just as it says? Will a sand snail kill a peppermint shrimp? I have found a sand snail snacking on a peppermint twice now, both times different snails. The water paramenters are perfect and there is only a cardinal and a clown goby in the tank.
  13. A

ID this please

I have no idea what this is. I know the pic I took is not good at all, but is the best I can do for now. :doh: This appeared in my 5 gallon that has very little liverock, and standard aquarium lights. This guy looks almost like a mushroom, but more white and gooey around edges. It...
  14. A

Introducing the giant mushroom

Here is a pic of my one tank with the mushrooms in my first saltwater. The largest is the size of a dinner plate. I got these as 3 on a rock. The largest when I bought them was the size of a pill bottle top. There are now a total of 5 of them (1 is in hiding). Flo and Mo (clowns) seem to...
  15. A

Help with install please

I got my protein skimmer and the instructions show how to put it together. I put it in the tank, but am not sure if it is in right. The collection cup sits partly in the water, but doesn't fill with water. It is starting to foam. Is it okay for the collection cup to be sitting in the...
  16. A

Advice on which corals Please!

I would like to add some more corals to my tank. I don't want to just grab something at the lfs and hope it works out. I would rather know in advance what would and would not work with what I have. I have a peppermint and cleaner shrimp that like to crawl on the corals. Currently, I have...
  17. A

I gave in

After hearing many suggestions that I really need a protein skimmer for my 12 and 24 gallon aquapods, I gave in and purchased one today. I want to try it out and see if it works before getting another. I plan on putting it in the 12 gallon, as that one is currently having algae problems and...
  18. A

12 gallon aqua air pump

In my 12 gallon aquapod, the current is very very high for the tank. The pump is supposed to put out 160 gallons per hour. I was wondering if anyone knew...if I replace it with a less powerful pump, will that be okay? I want to reduce the current in this tank so things aren't being thrown...
  19. A

Phosban work?

I have a slight problem with phosphate and came up with an idea. I have aquapods, so it is hard to add things to the back of the tank. However, I also have several very small filters that were purchased with some 1.5 gallon tanks. Basically, these run off an airline and bubbles come out...
  20. A

Add emerald crab for algae?

I have found 3 bubbles of bubble algae in my larger tank. Normally, I would take the rock out and remove the bubbles, but this is a very large rock and is the centerpiece of the tank, making it very difficult to remove without tearing apart most of the rock. I have 2 emerald crabs living...